Working Moms

Sick days

We are on our second go round of GI bug. I have it for the second time. The first go around I had to take off one day with my 3 y.o. DH took another day. We each missed a day for ourselves. I am on my 3rd day off since Jan. I get 5 occurrences before action is taken. DH is at a new job just started today. ..so likely the sick days will fall on me.I hate mismissing work. I was going to try today but I didn't think I would be able to make the drive. What do you do to stay well? How to you handle sick days? Luckily we have family and friends watch our boys. I just feel like we can't catch a break this winter.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sick days

• Can you use your vacation days when you run out of sick days? Can you WFH when you are sick? I never take sick days for myself, like never. Luckily my mom can usually watch the kids when they are sick, but I have taken a ton of snow days this winter. Really nothing I can do about it. It sucks b/c I can see my summer vaca days slipping away.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I second working from home.  If they're hesitant, stress that you're only looking to do this in an emergency at this point.

I never take sick days, either, but I do have the flexibility to work from home when needed.  So if I'm sick, I just stay home and work in my PJs unless I truly can't function, which rarely happens.

When the kids are sick, our nanny typically doesn't mind staying with them.  If they are really sick, or have a stomach bug or something, I take the day.  I can usually sneak some work in here and there, so sometimes it's just a 1/2 day.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would love to work from home but I am a clinic nurse. I have a bank of PTO. I have plenty of time but the attendance policy is 5 days. My MIL and sitter will keep the boys if they are sick with anything other than vomiting. I hated to call in today but being a nurse is hard while running to the bathroom. It was way worse this morning...I'm feeling better now. So frustrating.This is the frustrating part of being a working mom.
  • Ah, yes, you can't very well work from home as a nurse.

My sister always commented that she burned through her PTO as fast as she could accumulate it, because all of the sick kid stuff fell to her for a long time.  While my BIL was getting his business off the ground, they literally could not afford to take the day off.

The good news is that it will get better.  It's just tough right now.  I have no advice other than to hang in there!
  • So you get plenty of PTO but can only take 5 sick days before action is taken?  That seems like a strange policy.  My DD was home for 5 days a couple of weeks ago and that was just from one sickness.  I would double check the policy.  My previous employer used to limit sick days unless we provided a doctor's note.  I spent a lot of money in co-pays to get the doctor's note but it was a lot less worry than trying to suffer through work when legitimately sick.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• I'm going to be brave and suggest something kooky... I only suggest it because it has worked for me and it sounds like you might be to the point where you're willing to try anything.

I run a daycare so I am constantly surrounded by kids who are getting sick.  I pretty much never catch anything, but I am prone to the "stomach flu" and taking a day off is next to impossible for me.  Prior to hearing about this, any time a child would get sick with the "flu" I'd come down with it.  Desperate, I asked Dr. Google.  This is what I came up with:

As soon as you know you've been exposed to a stomach bug start drinking 100% grape juice with no sugar added.  Drink 6-8 ounces three times a day for three days and you will not get sick.

I will tell you, I have been exposed to the stomach bug three times since October, (read: have been puked on, care for the child and cleaned up the mess)... I have done this each time... and I have not gotten sick.  Prior to doing this I would get sick every time I was exposed. 

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I'm not going to stop doing it.  :P

• I should clarify it is occurrence meaning if it is consecutive days it counts as one. I have never had a month like this.
    I am having DH pick up juice for him it is worth a try.
    My inlaws take care of the boys as well as their father...who has now come down with it too. I went and picked up the boys. Not sure what willhhappen tomorrow. I am the back up manager and our manager is out sick too.
  • I should add that you have to start the grape juice before you notice any symptoms otherwise you just end up with purple vomit...ha!  This hasn't happened to me, but that's another thing Dr. Google said. 

Who knows... I hope it works for your Husband!

• I tend to think if you have the stomach bug, your coworkers / boss would probably appreciate you keeping it home and not spreading it around the workplace.

I myself rarely get sick enough to have to stay home because of it. I have had to take a ton of time for DS being sick and for myself going through IF treatments though. I'm lucky that my boss is really understanding. I constantly keep my hands washed, drink lots of water and get enough sleep when I'm feeling like I'm getting sick.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• ccam said:

I tend to think if you have the stomach bug, your coworkers / boss would probably appreciate you keeping it home and not spreading it around the workplace.

This, especially since you are a nurse! The policy makes zero sense to me - so you can be out for two weeks straight and that's one occurrence?
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i agree with the working from home option. my boss once agreed to that

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

imageimageimage
  • This is the first time I have ever been worried about the occurrences. I wish working from home was an option...I could have taken calls and done my charts etc. It isn't an option. It is a big deal when we are gone patients don't wait until tomorrow. I feel like we have just been hit bad this year. I also feel like my plate is full and illness sends that into a tailspin.
    My mom is on her way to help.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"