Pregnant after 35
Options

Sonogram questions

Hi there- since I haven't been pregnant in ten years, it seems like so much has changed from the posts I'm reading. I'm curious...how many of you are having multiple sonograms simply due to your age? I go in next week for my first appt. and am really hopeful for a sono but I only ever had one with my first two kids.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sonogram questions

• Options
    I am having multiples but I think that's mostly because of having twins. However due to my age they did offer me an NT scan at 12w with blood work as well as a Mat21 test.
  • Options
    We have the 20 week Anatomy Scan tomorrow which will be the second one we have had so far. I'm a little disappointed that being an old, wrinkly AMA has had no advantages at all so far!  :))
    Master of 'the look' 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Twins! Congratulations!
  • Options
    Only a single ultrasound--the anatomy scan-was standard for me. 

AMA & SAIF. TTC #1 since Oct. 2010. DX: Unexplained. BFP on break after 32 months trying and 2 med cycles. Baby girl born at 40w0d!

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

jbelle

• Options
    I have a sono almost at every appointment. That is about every other week. However, I'm also high risk for other reasons, not just age.
    IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Don't worry you'll have plenty, if you're like me you'll end up having more than you want.  I mean of course seeing lo is wonderful but the cost and the reason (age/high risk) is not wanted.  I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy.  I have had six ultrasounds already (dating ultrasound 8wks, 12 wks, 20 wks, perinatologist to check heart 24 wks, 30, 33wks), get once every week from now until delivery...
  • Options
    I have only had 4 total -- first 8wks, then 12 week NT, 20 week anatomy scan and then one a few weeks ago that was super fast just because I happened to be in a room with the machine and my OB said "since we are in here lets just take a quick peek".
    imageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I was seeing a reproductive endocrinologist when I got pregnant... We were spoiled because he did an ultrasound at 6, 8 and 10 weeks. We got to see the baby grow from the size of a pea to a little gummy bear!

I am 38 and pregnant with my first
    My OB sent me to a perinatologist for my 14 week scan and 20 week level 2 scan. Last week I was having some cramping (I'm 27 weeks) so I did have another ultrasound to make sure everything was okay. (And it was!)

My MD told me if I have gestational diabetes or if the baby is measuring ahead, they would do further scans but I may only have one more before the baby arrives to see what position he is in before birth.

I love the ultrasounds- it is amazing!

Hope you are feeling well!
  • Options
    It's common practice where I am to do two, regardless of maternal age: a dating/viability scan early on and then the anatomy scan. I had an extra bc I had an extra sac they weren't sure was empty or a later-conceived twin at my dating scan (it was empty), and I'm having another at 30 weeks because the baby feels small. But no extras solely due to age. I may keep having extras if this bun hasn't grown adequately at the 30 week scan.
  • Options
    I had my Anatomy Scan yesterday, that was fun. The tech said I'd probably get another one in the 3rd trimester as my son was so small due to IUGR. She dated this LO at  20 weeks and I'm 19 so he must be growing as he should. Interestingly, she said to ask them to do a 3D scan if they want one in my 3rd tri as the scan relies on baby body fat and there's hardly any on them this small. His 3D pics look like a blobby melted marshmallow. Not very attractive!
    Master of 'the look' 
  • Options
    My doctor does an US at every appt. Always ends with, 'lets take a look at what the little guy is up to' :) its my favorite part! Of course the anatomy scan are much longer and more detailed, but I get a peek every couple of weeks, which is nice!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I probably would have only had 2-3 like I did with DS1. But I've so far have had 7 with this pregnancy one for the NT scan, one at 20w, I had one in between those because the doctor couldn't find the heart beat. The other ones have been because they have been monitoring DS2 kidneys due to elevated fluid in DS2 kidney. Which unrelated to my age. I'll probably have one more since Ds2 decided to become breeched in the last week.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am 40 with my first so not sure how many you should have.  I am not high risk

I had one at 6 weeks, 7 ( due to spotting), 12 NT scan ( did this twice since I was helping the Dr office out to get approval to do NT scans, 16, 20 anatomy scan, 27 ( checking low placenta)

Not sure how many after that.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I had extra early (viability/dating) scans but that was due to previous losses not my age.  Even then it probably would've only been one except at the first one LO was a few days behind so still to small to measure/get heartbeat so then they had to repeat a week later and then we were still so anxious and having had that first one inconclusive didn't help (we were worried that getting off to a slow start might be an indication of a problem) so they were nice and let me get another at around 9 or 10 weeks since it would have been too soon to be sure of picking up hb on the doppler in the office.  

On the flip side, I didn't have the one most people get at 12ish weeks (NT scan) because I had the Maternit21 test instead.

Now (started at 24 weeks) I am having extras due to age.  The MFM/perinatologist's office that I got sent to for my 20 week A/S seems to have age 39 as a threshold for being *REALLY* AMA so for those who will be 39 and older at delivery even if the A/S is all good as mine was they recommend growth scans every 4 weeks until 32 weeks and then weekly BPPs (haven't had that yet so forget what all that measures ... fluid and fetal tone are 2 but there were 4 or 5 things).  We could turn down those additional tests, though - it's just a recommendations.  We've had the growth scans so far (which I'm a bit less happy about since I got the bill and for some reason the coinsurance seems higher for that than it was for the A/S even though the scan is quicker and less detailed); I'm still thinking about the BPPs.  May try to do the first 2 every other week not weekly then go to weekly.  
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • Options
    I'm in Canada.
    Last baby I was 39 and had no special treatment or extra ultrasounds.

This baby I am 40.
    I'm getting NST every week from 30 weeks to delivery and biweekly BPP every other week until delivery.

I'm hopefully only 1 ultrasound away from baby, now that LO has been flipped head down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"