Baby Showers
Options

So embarrassed by MIL!

My MIL very generously offered to throw me a shower, and I am so grateful for it. I let her do what she wanted since she is the host and just planned to show up on the correct day/time. Sounds great except one little issue, I am now one of those MTB with the zillions of invite requests! I had no idea about any of it until my mom called and read me the invite she received. It had a poem about the book instead of the card AND a diaper raffle! I know she was just trying to be helpful and probably thought they were gret ideas, but I am soooo embarrassed by it! I loathe those grabby bossy type shower (wedding and baby). Is there anything I can do by this point? Invites are already out and received by everyone. I am hoping my close friends/family will know this was not my choice.

Re: So embarrassed by MIL!

• Options
    Oh no! I'm sorry. I don't think that there's much you can do, as PP said. If anyone does mention it though, I think you'd be justified in looking a bit horrified and saying that they shouldn't worry about you MIL's extra requests.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Options
    brandy4nicolebrandy4nicole member
    edited February 2014
    I agree with pp, don't look horrified if it's mentioned. Even if you don't like the extra requests, be gracious for MIL throwing the shower and be sure to thank guests, and your host for everything. While some may feel pressure to participate in the extras, a lot of guests might just buy what they want anyway.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As long as your guests don't get the impression that you're planning your own shower and therefore made these requests yourself, it won't look tacky on you... it's the host who comes off appearing that way.

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image
  • Options
    Time to be gracious & conveniently ignore these things. Just do your best.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Maybe horrified was the wrong word, but my friends would say something to me in a way not unlike the OP's mom did (we all went to finishing school together and they'd be equally mortified). Looking a bit mortified, apologizing for MIL, and letting them know to ignore the additional requests would be the best option.

I wholeheartedly agree though... Once at the shower, all you can do is be gracious. And do thank you notes promptly.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Options
    Thanks ladies. Going to be the best damn thank you notes ever! I really do appreciate my MIL throwing the shower and I know she was just trying to be sweet and helpful. Just going to enjoy everything and do as you all suggested, gush over the thoughtfulness of everyone! At least she is against having guests write the own thank you envelopes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"