May 2012 Moms

Deciding Between Preschools

I am going to put DS in preschool two or three mornings a week this fall. I toured four preschools and have it narrowed down to two. I absolutely can't decide which one to use. What are your thoughts?

Preschool A is a 20 minute drive from our house, so if I came back home it would be 1 hr 20 min driving each time I took him. It is also in a different school district so his friends would not go to elementary school with him and they would live farther away for play dates and such. On the other hand, I absolutely loved the school. It is pretty big with 170 kids, but really is like a mini elementary school. I think they do great things from an educational standpoint. They also have really good security in place (badge system on doors, plan for an intruder, etc). If I could move this school close to my house it would be a no brainier.

Preschool B is 7 minutes from our house and in our school district. I think they would take good care of DS, but I worry about the education and their organization. It seems more like a place where he would get the socialization but not the education. I do like the place and the people there. Their security seems a little less tight. When I asked about an intruder plan they didn't really have one and the preschool area is open to the whole rest of the church, so more people could get in.

Basically it comes down to whether I am sending him to preschool for socialization and to learn to be away from me or to also learn. At age two it probably isn't a big deal but what about three and four. Okay, I am rambling now. What do you ladies think?

Re: Deciding Between Preschools

• The security issue would bother me more than the lack of educational programming with school B. Based on what you've said, it sounds like A is worth the drive.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I know it's hard, but I wouldn't worry as much about the academics. Kids this age learn best through playing. DS1's preschool has a learn through play policy and he blows me away with what he knows. Also, if you feel he is falling behind you can either teach it to him or switch him next year. The security issue would concern me though. DS's preschool is open to the church, but the only doors open during school hours are at the main office. All classroom doors have locks.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would choose option 1--the one that is 20 minutes away.  I enjoy the educational aspect of it, especially because at this age the kids don't even realize they are learning, and will still get socialization.  The security thing also bothers me about option 2. 

I wouldn't care about the kids not being in the same school eventually because that is still several years away.  Adalyn has been in school in December and we don't do playdates or really socialize with her classmates. 
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I am not a big fan of over schooling before the year before kindergarten and then most states have a pre-k program that is universal. But the security and the fact you like the first better makes me think the 20 minute drive is worth it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"