High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Methadone Treated, Pregnant Moms to Be!

I'm 12 weeks pregnant and I am on 90mgs of methadone.  I'm really nervous about this pregnancy, and was just hoping to connect with some moms in the same boat. This is my 4th pregnancy, but my first one on methadone. I have 3 beautiful boys ages, 11, 7, and 2. I had to increase my dose a couple days ago from 80mg to 90mg, because it just wasn't getting me through the day anymore.  I know I'm only in the beginning of my 2nd trimester and most women don't need to increase until their third,  but 80mg wasn't enough before I got pregnant. I never went up because I felt like it meant I was going backwards in my recovery. I had been feeling like crap for a couple weeks,  but I thought a higher dose would increase the risk of the baby going through NAS. I did a lot of research and then finally decided to talk to my doctor. There is no magic # for a dose when you're pregnant. A woman cab be on 300mg and give birth to a baby with no withdrawal symptoms,  but then another woman can give birth while on 20mg and her baby is in the NICU for two weeks. There's no rhyme or reason why one baby has NAS and another does not, regardless of the mother's dose. So I decided that going up was the right thing to do, because if you are uncomfortable,  than the baby is uncomfortable. The whole reason I'm telling this story is so that if there is another woman out there suffering from the same inner battle that I did, than perhaps my words will help and give her strength.  I am asking everyone who is on this board.....I know this is a sensitive topic, but PLEASE keep this board positive,  no judging, and no negativity. This is a safe place for mothers to talk about anything without being scared that someone is going to judge them. Thanks for listening, and I hope to connect with some moms who are going through, or have already gone through a pregnancy on methadone. God Bless!

Re: Methadone Treated, Pregnant Moms to Be!

• Options
    I applaud you for trying to do what's best for your baby and wish you health and happiness in your recovery :)
  • Options
    Thank you very much!!!:)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Thank you, now let's just hope that the women who really need support find this message board.  :)
  • Options

Hi Alex..! Thanks for sharing this. I am a FTM to be, due on August 26. Just thought I would share some of my story and experience as well.

I have been on Suboxone since 2005, (was switched to the Subutex as soon as I found out I was pregnant). My reason for being on it was for getting off a full blown heroin addiction that I had in my 20's. 

I am prescribed a large dose. 24mg a day, but take much less than that. I am doing well being stabilized at 2mg a day, and plan to continue the Subutex through my pregnancy. I am a bit concerned with the OB and practitioners I have seen so far, as they don't seem to really know much about pregnancy & buprenorphine use. It seems there has been a lot more research done on methadone, as it has been around longer and has shown rather positive results for moms-to-be that have taken it throughout their pregnancy.

I am really nervous about how everything is going to work out for me too. Being 36, AND on the subutex, puts me in a "double" high risk category. I just hope that I can stay at the low dose (and maybe even taper down further) and can eventually see a way out of the tunnel at some point.

Good luck and keep us updated on how you do..!

• Options
    Thanks for the info. :) Joined! 
  • Options
    I don't know anything about methadone during pregnancy, but I applaud your efforts and with you the best of luck with your LO!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"