Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Hands over ears

I'm just wondering if any of your LO's put their hands over their ears? It seems like DD is doing this occasionally & I'm wondering why? She did have an ear infection about 3 weeks ago but she was doing it before & she screamed & pulled her ears. She also does it regardless if we are at home or somewhere noisy. TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hands over ears

• My son does this at the pool, in the bathroom, and occasionally other times. He doesn't seem in pain/discomfort at all when he does it, in fact he's usually smiley/giggly when he does it, so I've theorized that he just lkes the interesting/muffly/echoey sounds it produces?
  • My son does this at the pool, in the bathroom, and occasionally other times. He doesn't seem in pain/discomfort at all when he does it, in fact he's usually smiley/giggly when he does it, so I've theorized that he just lkes the interesting/muffly/echoey sounds it produces?

This is DD too. She's done it a few times if I cough or sneeze when she's half asleep. She then glares at me.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • minervacullenminervacullen member
    edited February 2014
  • This is my LO too. He had an ear infection at a year, before his one year check up. We went to his pedi, had it treated, and was over it by his year check up. He kept pulling and tugging at it during the visit. His pedi double checked his ears and there was nothing wrong. He just likes to play with them.

If you have any concerns, I'd double check with LO's pedi to make sure. But it could be something she has fun doing.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DS has never had an ear infection but he loves to hold his hand over his ear. Usually he will suck his thumb and have his other hand over his ear. He is not partial to either ear. He probably does it most when he is sleepy.
  • DD started doing this and I realized quickly that this is her attempt at playing peekaboo. Apparently it would be silly to cover your eyes because then you can't see anything! Ears work just as well. :)

TTC since June 2009
    BFP #1 2/22/10 M/C 6w2d
    BFP #2 October 2010 CP
    BFP #3 1/11/11 M/C 8w5d
    IUI #1 Aug 2011= BFN
    IUI #2= BFP #4 9/18/11 missed M/C, D&C 10/18/11
    IUIs #3&4 = BFN
    IVF #1 May 2012 = BFP! Twins!!

Fraternal twins born Feb. 2013

Lilypie - (X78c)

• My DD does this, except she sticks her pointer fingers in her ears.  She has never had an ear infection (*knock on wood!!*).  At her 18 month check up I told her dr. and she didn't seemed concerned at all (she checked her ears as part of the check up).  She said at this age they like to find different places to stick their fingers.... I said I guess it's better than her nose!!  HAHA!  She really only does it while she eats, so I think it's so she can hear differently when DH and I talk and she swallows her food.
  • lc&jw said:
    DD started doing this and I realized quickly that this is her attempt at playing peekaboo. Apparently it would be silly to cover your eyes because then you can't see anything! Ears work just as well. :)
    mine too!  i think it is hilarious, and so does she.
    but if you think your LO is in pain, that is a different story...

• She's not in pain- she is being silly! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"