Natural Birth
Options

HypnoBirthing Class or ???

mmksmmks member
edited February 2014 in Natural Birth
So it appears that the only natural childbirth class option in my area is doing a HypnoBirth class with the midwives that I am seeing for this pregnancy.  I have read a lot online about how HypnoBabies is so much better, but would like to have an actual class that my husband can go to instead of doing the home study. 
(Some background - didn't take any classes w my 1st and was able to have a natural labor, but it ended in a c/s.  Had a doula w that birth and will have one for this one as well.)
Should I even bother with the class?  Do you think it will be any use?  Any other option I'm not thinking of?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: HypnoBirthing Class or ???

• Options
    I took a Hypnobirthing class with my first and had a great experience, truly amazing!  I didn't actually take a class with my second, but listened to the CDs and practiced a bit.

The key with Hypnobirthing is practicing, which can be rather time consuming.  It was fine the first time because I didn't have kids, but the second time around was much more challenging.  I had the benefit of having done it once before so it's not like I was starting from scratch, but still wasn't able to go as deep with my second probably because I hadn't put as much time into it.

I don't really have a suggestion either way, just wanted to share my experience. 
  • Options
    I took Hypno Birthing and enjoyed it. There were a few class options in my area but this one was recommended by my midwife. The in-class instructor led practice helped me understand the self hypnosis, and it was also great to get my H on board. I didn't practice as much as I should have at home, but when labor started everything fell into place. I was very relaxed throughout.

I'm glad I took the class because I wanted a class. I'd say go for it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm doing HypnoBirthing vs Hypnobabies as well for the same reason - I know I'll do much better with a class (offered at our hospital) than homestudy.  (Understanding that there is still lots of home/ practice time to put in!)
    I already purchased the Hypnobirthing book and have been reading to get into it.  There are also a ton of Hypnobirthing success stories elsewhere online (not as prevalent on thebump).

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    DH & I took a HypnoBirthing-based class when I was pregnant with DD. We both got a lot out of it and just recommended the same class to a newly pregnant friend.

In your specific situation, I would think that taking any class offered by your midwife group would be beneficial. You and YH would become more familiar with their approach and what to expect plus it will give them an opportunity to know the two of you.

(edited because I forgot some words)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did Hypnobabies with my 2nd and it was wonderful. I seriously did not feel one ounce of pain the entire time. Nada. Just pressure. When I got to the birthing center, I was already complete and birthed DD 20 minutes later. I have heard Hypobabies is more comprehensive like the pp stated but I will say I listened to the CD's as instructed. I was very prepared and DH was as well. The hypno-anesthesia worked perfectly.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    sschwege    How much practice is necessary and in what week should you begin to take classes?  I have read several of your posts about Hypnobirthing and I am trying to make my final decision on what method I want to use in the next week or two.

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
    BFP#2 Nov 2005. Baby's heart stopped @ 8w3d. D&C Jan 2006. Trisomy 18
    BFP#3 Nov 2006. My "miracle baby" DD born 7/25/07
    BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

BFP#5 11/9/13.  EDD 7/21/14  Our beautiful rainbow born on his due date!!

• Options
    sschwege    How much practice is necessary and in what week should you begin to take classes?  I have read several of your posts about Hypnobirthing and I am trying to make my final decision on what method I want to use in the next week or two.
    @Amores0121

I started taking the class when I was 30w pregnant, but received the book and CDs much earlier.  So by the time classes rolled around I had already read the book and was quite familiar with the CDs.  

I'll be honest I wasn't a model student, because I think you are supposed to practice every day.  I probably practiced 3 times a week, but when I did it was for 2 hours or so.  I guess about 6 hours of practice a week, in addition to the time spent in class.

If you have any other questions, please let me know, I had great experiences with Hypnobirthing and am happy to share it with others :)
  • Options
    sschwege  How were the classes? I was doing research and saw they are 2.5 hours! I know DH will pitch a fit about that.  Did you feel bored at all or did you feel you really got your money's worth? Does the husband have much of a role?

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
    BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

• Options
    sschwege  How were the classes? I was doing research and saw they are 2.5 hours! I know DH will pitch a fit about that.  Did you feel bored at all or did you feel you really got your money's worth? Does the husband have much of a role?
    DH and I really enjoyed the classes.  Ours were actually even longer because the instructor did 4 classes instead of 5, but we were never bored.  The classes were kind of a mix of more formal instruction, demonstrations, at least once we watched a video and always time toward the end of the class to practice the hypnosis.  Plus you get to chat with other parents-to-be, we are still friends with the other three couples we met in the class.  

As to whether the class is worth the cost, it was for us without a doubt.  We payed $350 which included the book and CDs.  Our insurance wouldn't reimburse us but you can apply it toward FSA.  For me Hypnobirthing worked amazingly well.  I can honestly say that other than the 'ring of fire' at the end I delivered without pain.  It was intense at times, but always manageable.  Not everyone has the same experiences I did, but obviously for me $350 to have a pain-free birth was well worth it!

There are opportunities for the husband to take part and support the mother, but it's not 'husband coached' as I understand Bradley to be.  Of course I was so happy to have DH with me and he was a big help in terms of rubbing my back, reminding me to eat/drink, giving me words of encouragement, but as far as the hypnosis part DH didn't really have an active role.  He could have, there were scripts and whatnot he could have done.  But I am one of those women who just mostly goes within and closes out the rest of the world.  With my second DH wasn't even with me until I told him it was time to go to the hospital and when we arrived I was fully dilated.  I just went to our bedroom and labored by myself because it's what felt right to me at the time.   

Does that make sense?
  • Options
    @sschwege Yes, makes sense!  Thank you for all the info.  I am just really wanting to do an actual class because I want DH to have some sort of connection to it/with me, etc and also know what to expect with labor.  I really need him to know how to encourage me, as I did not have that last time and I caved and got the epidural.  I was fine during early labor and am sure I will be this time too, but really need something to help me once the pain gets stronger.  Thanks again!

• Options
    @sschwege Yes, makes sense!  Thank you for all the info.  I am just really wanting to do an actual class because I want DH to have some sort of connection to it/with me, etc and also know what to expect with labor.  I really need him to know how to encourage me, as I did not have that last time and I caved and got the epidural.  I was fine during early labor and am sure I will be this time too, but really need something to help me once the pain gets stronger.  Thanks again!
    First of all you didn't 'cave' you did the best you could with what the day handed you.  Even after I had my first people would ask me if I was planning to go med-free again and my response was always that I was preparing for a med-free birth.  I think the best approach is to do everything you can to prepare for the birth you want read, research, plan, find support, but at the end of the day know that some things will always be out of our control.  Before I had my first I had a serious conversation with DH and I told him, "If I ask for an epi don't try to talk me out of it" and I meant it, because I knew that if I was asking for it I needed it.  So you didn't cave, you made the right decision for you at that time.   

Have you considered hiring a doula?  One thing I did for DH was to make him a binder full of ideas for when I went into labor.  It had words of encouragement he could say to me, natural comfort measures, different positions I could try, etc.  Maybe that would help your H?
  • Options

sschwege Thanks for your encouraging words! My DD's birth ended in an emergency c, so I always think that maybe if I didn't get the epi, I wouldn't have had the CS. The epi did not really work for me in the way I have heard it working for others. I still felt my contractions, especially once I got further dialated, and they were still very difficult to get through. They had to drug me quite a bit more to get me numbed up for the surgery and afterward I was shaking so hard I couldn't hold DD. I just don't want to go through that again!

But, I am in the process of looking for a Doula and I did also think of writing down things for DH that he could do for me.  Thanks for your suggestions!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"