Multiples

Vanishing twin

Hi all. I found out about 2 weeks ago that I am pregnant with twins. My ob did an ultrasound and I saw and heard both heartbeats. When we told my sil she told me about vanishing twin syndrome. So naturally now I'm paranoid. My question is, does any one know the odds/chances of that happening once you have seen the heartbeats?

Re: Vanishing twin

• How far along are you?

image    image    image    image

• 9 weeks tomorrow
  • Loading the player...
  • It's so difficult not to worry. My mantra during pregnancy "today things are fine. And fortunately I am one if the few people who gets to experience a twin pregnancy. And that is so special."
                         My fraternal twin boys. Born Sept 2013.
  • Agree with PP - try not to worry. We saw two at 6w, and my RE said there was a 50/50 shot the second would stick around based on what he saw -- sure enough, at 8w, he considered them 'stuck' and signed me over to my OB. Net, at 9w you're likely beyond the 'vanishing twin' high likelihood stage, but really - there's so much you can't control here, and twin pregnancies are scary enough to begin with. Try not to pile on more, if at all possible. :)
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We found out we were with twins just before 7 w, at my 10w appt I told my OB I was worried about vanishing twin syndrome, and she looked at me square in the eye and said "why?!" If they have fetal poles and heartbeats odds are they will both be sticky . I think after 8w the odds of loosing one drops, and after 12-13 w the odds are significantly lower.

@mellissalynay90, that's a powerful story. Your boys are adorable.
    image    image    image    image

• If the pregnancy seems well established at 10w then it is very high probability that they will stick around. The placenta takes over at 9 w so usually if something is going to go wrong, it usually happens either then or before that time. Of course there are no guarantees but the odds are STRONGLY in your favor that the babies will continue to thrive.

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• I had a vanished triplet and it was obvious from the beginning it wasn't going to work out. C's heartbeat was so low they thought it was "maternal" and it measured far behind the other 2. (We did Ivf so we knew they should have measured similarly.) I spent my whole pregnancy worrying so I get it but I think your chances are pretty low at this point.
  • I'm on my phone, so can't easily find this now, but there are journal articles that outline the percentage chance of a vanishing twin by week of gestation.
    Married 8/2008. IVF with PGD March 2013.
    3/22 ER: 25R, 20M, 15F. 9 genetically normal, and 3 survived to Day 5
    3/27 ET: transferred 1 embryo, beta 9dp5dt=163, 12dp5dt=639
    4/25 1st ultrasound at 7 weeks = identical twins with heartbeats?!!!
    PPROM at 31w, delivery at 32 weeks of two beautiful girls
  • My OB mentioned it at the first u/s at 7 weeks. He said he didn't think it would happen as they were only measuring a few days apart, but he wanted to tell us incase. I spent way too much time researching and worrying for the next 4 weeks. I was almost in years at my 12 week appt because I was so sure one was going to be gone. Both were and are fine. Try not to worry.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • That was kinda jerky of Sil. People can be kinda cruel to pregnant MoMs. I heard so many horror stories from friends and family, I just wanted to cry. Try not to listen to it. Enjoy your pregnancy, take care of yourself and try not to worry.
    Like pp's said, finding the heart beats is great news!
    Congrats!
  • sherrybrown83sherrybrown83 member
    edited February 2014
    Thanks everyone for your help. I feel much better.
  • I'm on my phone, so can't easily find this now, but there are journal articles that outline the percentage chance of a vanishing twin by week of gestation.

I want to say at 9 weeks it was only 3%.
  • It's hard not to worry. My baby B had literally no amniotic fluid until week 15. He measure an entire month behind and at first wasn't even really noticed because they figured he was just a SCH. I was told SO many times he would disappear as his heart rate was literally half of what his brothers was. And that tiny little peanut just grew and grew and is my bigger twin today. But once you have a HB your chances drop dramatically. These guys are proof that even though they are small they are tough! Stay away from Google and enjoy being pregnant.

I LOVE this story! What an awesome fighter :)

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• These stories have lifted me up i am going thru the same thing!
  • ceechie said:
    That was kinda jerky of Sil. People can be kinda cruel to pregnant MoMs. I heard so many horror stories from friends and family, I just wanted to cry. Try not to listen to it. Enjoy your pregnancy, take care of yourself and try not to worry. Like pp's said, finding the heart beats is great news! Congrats!
    This.  Seriously, why would she say that to you?
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"