TTC after 35

Further newbie charting questions (kind of long)

Davie813Davie813 member
edited February 2014 in TTC after 35
OK, so I started charting this month.  I wasn't sure how well it would work for me, because I have very disturbed sleep, but I got some great advice here and proceeded.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I wake up every 2-3 hours, every single night.  I've been temping every time I do and (in order to observe the overall pattern day-to-day, rather than random fluctuations here and there) have been recording the highest single temperature I get each night (this is fairly consistently around 2:00 am).

First, does that approach make sense?  Should I record the lowest instead?  The temperature after the longest time asleep?

Second, the temperatures I record on any given night can fluctuate a lot (by ~.5 degree).  Given all this, do you think the chart I've compiled so far has any validity?  FWIW, given the temp spike two days after my +opk, I do think the O date is right....

Third, my chart is in my signature.  I've been looking at the chart gallery on FF, but I'm still so new to this...Do you think it looks, I dunno, reasonable?

Thanks for your help!

ETA: just to clarify--when I ask if it looks "reasonable," I don't mean "does it look like I might be pregnant?"  I mean "does it look like something a standard human who is charting somewhat correctly might produce?" 

*****Signature/Ticker Warning******

Me: 41, DH: 45
DD, 6/15/2013
TTC #2 beginning January 2014
AMH 1.05; FSH range 7-11

July 2014: IUI #1.  Follistim + Pregnyl.  2 follicles--BFN
September 2014: IUI #2.  Follistim + Pregnyl + Ganirelix + Crinone.  4(?) follicles--BFN
October 2014: IUI #3.  More Follistim + More Ganirelix + Pregnyl + Crinone.  4 follicles--BFP!  Beta #1=10 Beta #2=33 Beta #3=97 Beta #4=158.  M/C 11/1/14
December 2014: IVF #1.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  9R, 9M, 9F.  3 5-day blasts transferred 12/15. BFFN.
April 2015: IVF #2.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  16R, 15M, 12F. Transferred 2 5-day blasts 4/12 and froze 4--BFP!  M/C 5/25/15
August 2015: IVF #3.  14R, 13M, 11F.  Froze 5 blasts for CCS testing.  3 normals.  FET planned for 10/2015.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Ovulation Chart

Re: Further newbie charting questions (kind of long)

• edited February 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • your chart honestly won't be as accurate if you aren't charting at the same time every single day.   You might see a pattern though so you never know...
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Loading the player...
  • Taking your temp at a consistent time is best. That being said, we have to do the best we can with what we have….

I read that for most accurate temping to do it after your longest sleep, preferably at least 4 hour stretch.  I became a master of “holding it in” from 2-6am. Then at 6, I would temp and fly to the bathroom.

So do you wake and get up, or do you wake look at clock and roll over asleep? If you’re not getting up you aren’t particularly raising your body temp, the second you start walking around you are raising your temp. So think about that.

I would recommend maybe you look at temping vaginally that is very consistent; also I (if I was you) would take 1 temp a night after the longest sleep, preferably at the most consistent time. That one temp will probably be the lower temp, as you rest your body temp drops, and those are the temps we want to chart.

I hope I have given you some guidance to help make the best choices for you….of course I am not a Dr., just have some experience. Good Luck!!

My Ovulation Chart

Me: 41 DH: 46. We are TTC our 1st, started July '11,
    3 cycles clomid with Ob,
    1 cycle Tamoxifen with Ob,
    Diagnosed PCOS 11/5/12
    clomid, trigger & timed bd 12/12 BFN
    1st clomid IUI 1/4/13 BFN.
    2nd clomid IUI 2/13 cancelled didn't respond to clomid.
    3/15/13 scheduled laparoscopy & on bcp.

May 10 IUI from injectibles - BFN 

May 22 done with interventions it will either happen or it won't. 

February 2014 No longer actively trying, but not preventing. 

SURPISE BFP 4/2/2015!!!!!!!!!!

Miscarriage 4/23/15

• I'm an insomniac, I have always had very poor sleep patterns and wake several times through the night, often up for an hour or two in the wee hours. I do, however, almost always get a few hours of sleep when I first go to bed, so I always temp the first time I wake up no matter when that is - could be anywhere from 1 to 4 am for me. My temps are a bit jagged, but I still have always been able to see the temp shift at O, and I just put NA in for the time so I don't end up with open circles.

You should not be temping multiple times a night and 'choosing' a temp to chart based on if it's your highest or lowest of the night, that's not going to give you any accuracy at all.  That being said, though, the whole point of temping is to get your resting temp, which is usually the lowest your body gets to in a 24 hour period - that's why temping before you get up is so important, any movement, getting up, etc. raises your heart rate and therefore your temp, taking you out of that resting state that is crucial for BBT charting.  

I would strongly suggest limiting your temping to the first time you wake up no matter when it is.  I've been temping for over a year and this has worked for me, but it took many months to figure this out.  I started out trying to temp at the same time every morning, but then would wake up multiple times a night and then stress about getting to sleep in time to get enough hours before that time, or even just to get more than an hour of sleep in a row at all.  Talk about ugly charts!  And stick with it, it can take several months to get into a good routine with temping and start to see patterns, you just have to be patient and it will come.  Good luck!

imageimage

Married August 2012. Me: 41  DH: 42 
    Daughter from previous marriage: 20

BFP 12/19/12: Ectopic discovered at 8 weeks, right tube removed 01/18/13
    June 2013 Testing Results: Progesterone: 31.7, LH: 5, FSH: 5, Estradiol: 161
    Clomid cycles Nov. 2013 and Jan, Feb, and March 2014

TTC journey over as of the end of October 2014

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• Davie813Davie813 member
    edited February 2014
    Thanks, all!

Ok, so it's a little late this cycle to change my methodology, but I have some good options for next time. I think I'll try temping the first time I wake up, and temping when my husband's alarm goes off (regardless of how I've slept) for a couple of cycles each and see which seems to work better for me.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

ETA, oh, yes, I do take OTC sleep aids. I go back to sleep quickly when i wake up in the middle of the night, but I still do it a lot. :|
    *****Signature/Ticker Warning******

Me: 41, DH: 45
    DD, 6/15/2013
    TTC #2 beginning January 2014
    AMH 1.05; FSH range 7-11

July 2014: IUI #1.  Follistim + Pregnyl.  2 follicles--BFN
    September 2014: IUI #2.  Follistim + Pregnyl + Ganirelix + Crinone.  4(?) follicles--BFN
    October 2014: IUI #3.  More Follistim + More Ganirelix + Pregnyl + Crinone.  4 follicles--BFP!  Beta #1=10 Beta #2=33 Beta #3=97 Beta #4=158.  M/C 11/1/14
    December 2014: IVF #1.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  9R, 9M, 9F.  3 5-day blasts transferred 12/15. BFFN.
    April 2015: IVF #2.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  16R, 15M, 12F. Transferred 2 5-day blasts 4/12 and froze 4--BFP!  M/C 5/25/15
    August 2015: IVF #3.  14R, 13M, 11F.  Froze 5 blasts for CCS testing.  3 normals.  FET planned for 10/2015.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Ovulation Chart

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"