Babies on the Brain
Options

Anyone else work/worked in veterinary medicine?

Hello Ladies!

I'm wondering if any of you currently work, or have worked, in the veterinary field. I work as a vet tech and with H & I thinking of TTC this fall there are a lot of questions/concerns I have with my job. I work in a really small practice (one doctor, one receptionist, 2 techs) so there isn't really someone to take over the jobs I can't do without making their day worse. I know that X-rays are completely off the table, which isn't an issue, however I am concerned about the anesthetic gas we use to maintain patients during surgeries. It can cause premature births and birth defects which makes me really nervous to be around it. When I was in school they told us that as long as you aren't in the room during intubation & extubation than you shouldn't be worried but what about when doing dentals? I'm just curious how other techs have handled working and being pregnant. I know it's possible but it will probably make some things a little more complicated.

Thanks Ladies!

imageVisit The Nest!

Re: Anyone else work/worked in veterinary medicine?

• Options
    I worked as a vet tech during my pregnancy. I did surgeries and dentals, but I waited for the animal to be intubated (or held my breath for a few seconds). The only things I avoided was handling pets who were late on rabies vaccines and cats that were extra cranky. I still did everything else.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    aggiebugaggiebug member
    edited February 2014
    Yes I do! (ps hi from TN)

As far as gases go if you have a good scavenging system the risk is relatively quite low but you are correct incubation/ extubation are the higher risk times. They do make special mask/ ventilator systems you can wear around anesthesia. I think it is the same you would wear for painting.

For me personally. I will avoiding handling masked patients or cats we have to box down because that is a lot of gas released at once but other than that probably won't worry too much.

And just fyi if you get bit by an animal with an unknown rabies status (or one you can't quarantine for 10days) you would get the vaccine series. Yes I do know that and your ob probably won't off hand. Ha!

Our tech who just had a baby did everything from taking rads to lifting big dogs etc and her OB was really ok with it all, although we did try and stop her from doing some of the stuff. It's all about risk and honestly most are quite low.
    Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I mostly lurk on this board but I'll add my 2 cents here too :)  I was an RVT for 4 years before we decided to TTC.  I chose to actually leave my job and took a position in a completely different, unrelated field that I worked at through TTC and up until I had DS (now I'm a SAHM).  I worked in a very large, very busy, varied veterinary practice.  We are in an area that sees not only 'pet-lover' clients but a lot of strays, barn cats, random 'we live in the sticks' animals and, even though like pp said, I would have had a lot of support, I just felt that it wasn't something that I wanted to risk.  I actually had several coworkers work through their pregnancies and it was NBD (avoided rads, some surgeries, etc), but just the thought of it stressed me out :)  I also didn't want to have to tell my coworkers about my pregnancy before our families!  Typing this out it totally seems like something I would roll my eyes at, but it is was it is.  But I think if you have backup help there, and feel comfortable working, then go for it.  The risks are so, so small and truly avoidable!  Good luck to you   :-bd
  • Options
    There sure isn't much for information on vet medicine safety durning pregnancy. Our jobs mimic hospitals as far as drug handling, anesthetic gasses ect so I followed those guidelines. I am a large animal technician so my ability to perform my job was a little harder but fortunately I work at a large mixed practice and was able to have someone else jump in to X-ray or bandage. Also I agree with the earlier poster, I told my bosses before any of my family. But they are like family to me so I was comfortable with my decision to do that. The one down side is that because of the things we are exposed to, you can't keep it to yourself. Hope this helps
  • Options
    Hi ladies I also work in a small practice ( one vet one receptionist and one tech me). Unfortunately I am the only one who can do any kind of lifting I do the cleaning the surgical prep the anesthesia the incubating and estuarine. My husband and I had 2 miscarriages last year and now we are going to TTC again but I'm really nervous that the stress and physical aspects of my position are not going to work with trying to have a baby any words of wisdoms please!
  • Options
    I am a RVT at a very busy, mixed animal practice. I avoid taking radiographs and recovering patients from surgery. I also don't monitor for surgeries with patients that are masked or gassed down in a box. Also, we do I131 treatment at our clinic so I obviously don't handle those radioactive patients or any type of chemotherapy drugs. Really, any medications that require wearing gloves, I don't handle.   My co workers are really good about not letting me lift heavy things or wrangle giant dogs. I am curious about others opinions on cleaning cat litter boxes. My Dr. was comfortable with me doing it because I have been in the field for a while and have already most likely been exposed to Toxoplasmosis. Still I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't. 
  • Options
    Hi! I'm a vet tech at a fairly large practice (5 doctors and approx. 30 staff) and my DH and I are also TTC. When I spoke with my head tech about my concerns (similar to yours!) when it comes to my work environment she helped calm some of my fears! The major concern is surgery and the anesthesia, you're correct there - biggest suggestion is to not be around while intubating/extubating, and wearing a mask if doing dentals - let someone else tank cats if you're able to, or at least let someone else open the tank and let the area air out a bit first.

In lab or when handling potentially messy cats/cat feces, make sure you're wearing gloves if you HAVE to deal with it. If not, ask someone else to clean up the cat poo!

My sister is an OBGYN and said that honestly, xrays are NBD if you're wearing a thyroid shield, a vest covering the important parts, and your xray badge. She said if I was really concerned I could double gown, and get an additional badge to wear at belly level to make sure I wasn't exposing myself unnecessarily. IDK how you do xrays at your clinic, but at ours, most of the animals are awake during the xrays (whenever possible) so we aren't able to leave the room, but my head tech gave me the suggestion of bending my knees a bit to put belly level below the table and out of direct line of rays. 

Lifting wise, unless your doc told you otherwise or you have other health concerns - as long as you're used to lifting the weight now and aren't straining to lift it, you're fine to continue doing so!