June 2013 Moms
Options

Visiting NYC with an infant

So LO and I are going to NYC in April with my sister and her 2 month old. We are flying in and then taking a taxi to her apartment Manhattan. I won't be buying an extra ticket for LO on the plane so won't be needing his carseat on there. My sister told me the taxis are exempt from car seat laws but I'm hesitant to ride without one. Should I take his car seat? The only time I would use it is the taxi ride and I hate to have to gate check it and risk damage. Plus, between LO, our bags, and a stroller I will already have my hands super full! Any thoughts from those that live in or near NYC or visit there?
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Visiting NYC with an infant

• Options
    SilverEFSilverEF member
    edited February 2014
    I have had this conversation with people since I live on Long Island. What do people do in taxis? They don't carry their car seat around with them all day. I never got a real answer. I'm assuming most people don't use a car seat. I also have never seen someone install or uninstall the car seat. To bring it along just for taxis seems like a PITA to me.

ETA words. I called DH at work to see what his co workers who live in NYC do. I will update when I get an answer.
  • Options
    If I have a suitcase (with a week's worth of stuff for LO and I) plus my stroller is it feasible to stick to the subway and AirTran? Or is a taxi going to be our best bet? And I'm not sure on dates yet...my sister is sending them to me in the next day or two...but it would be fun if I could make it to the get together! @Violet1183
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    numbersgirl08numbersgirl08 member
    edited February 2014
    Is it possible to buy a ticket? What we've done is buy a ticket, take snap n go stroller so we gate check the stroller base, and then buckle the car seat in a cab. Definitely don't do a cab without a car seat (I get nervous even taking N with a car seat!) and if possible I highly recommend getting a separate ticket on the plane.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Levi is to big for the infant car seat so it would be the heavier convertible car seat. Due to cost it's not possible to buy him a ticket but we are hoping to fly at times of the day where there should be open seats. Both my sister and I will have our luggage and a baby so I think a taxi is our best option
  • Options
    Do you have the box the car seat came in? Bring it and then use it if there are empty seats and gate check it in the box if not.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'll say it. I would probably skip the car seat and wear the baby if you HAD to take a cab or two, but use the train as much as possible. We went to Mexico in December and took plenty of short
    cab rides down there and that's what I did. At least if you're wearing the baby you don't have to worry about him being a projectile in case there's a crash.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm 99% certain you need a car seat in taxis. On Facebook there is a person called "the car seat lady". She knows everything about car seats! You should check her out :)
  • Options

GalLaura said:
    I'm 99% certain you need a car seat in taxis. On Facebook there is a person called "the car seat lady". She knows everything about car seats! You should check her out :)
    Taxis in NYC are exempt from carseat laws actually
  • Options
    I wouldn't take a baby in a taxi in NYC without a carseat, it's actually why I haven't been in a cab in the last year basically. I have been in so many cabs that have hit other people or been hit by other people and they don't even stop, I know at least one person who was thrown forward when a cab stopped short to avoid a bus, and broke her nose. 

Your best bet is a subway or hiring a car service that will provide a carseat. The subway can be tough but if you plan your route ahead of time to hit stations with elevators it shouldn't be too bad. I'm guessing your sister is familiar with the lines since she lives in Manhattan?  Also people are always offering to help with strollers up and down stairs or offering their seats. 
  • Options
    This article just came out today about lap babies.  It's a great read :)

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    We live just outside NYC and we've taken A in many many times. I NEVER take a taxi. I use the subway and MetroNorth trains or walk. I wear her, but I see plenty of stroller babies- my siblings use strollers for their kids. You can look up with stations are accessible also (meaning they will be easier for stoller movement). I think I've only seen two or three stations that say they aren't in my frequent and varied trips.
    imageimage
    Our lil' diva: late like her Momma: 40 weeks 5 days!
  • Options
    I was very hesitant to not use a car seat regardless of the laws and now I'm even more set against it. Thank you for your input ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"