LGBT Parenting
Options

Questions about Ovidrel

I notice that many of you use trigger shots, even during first attempts at IUI.

I am wondering if you can share your expertise and experience about how you decided to use them as part of your plan? My RE's approach is to do natural cycles, using OPK for timing for at least 3 cycles. We didn't do any testing to confirm ovulation. Is there better accuracy for timing IUI after trigger rather than OPK? Are there common or serious side effects that would be reason to stay away from trigger shot if there is not yet indication that I need them.

I am just trying to figure out if there is a better way to safely increase chances of success. I will be speaking with my RE about these questions in the next day or so, but some more info will help me to be prepared for the conversation. Thanks.

TTC at age 37
Feb '14: Unmedicated IUI=BFN
March '14: Ovidrel + IUI=BFN
April '14: Ovidrel + IUI=BFN
May '14: Clomid, Ovidrel, Prometrium+IUI=BFN
June '14: Ovidrel, prometrium+IUI=BFN
Aug '14: Letrezole, Ovidrel, prometrium +IUIx2=BFN
Oct '14: Letrezole, Ovidrel, prometrium+IUI=BFN
Nov '14: Letrezole, Ovidrel +IUI

Re: Questions about Ovidrel

• Options
    Hi @Mellebee  My RE does ultrasounds to see how many follicles are in my ovaries and I am to do the trigger shot once the biggest ones are over 18mm. They do all of the monitoring via ultrasound. I don't temp, do OPK's, anything on my own. 

From what I have understood, ultrasounds are the most accurate way to know how many follicles you have. The Ovidrel is done to know precisely when I ovulate..it makes you ovulate. 

I would imagine that they could tell from the ultrasound if I have prematurely ovulated and therefore would have me skip a month if need be. 
  • Options
    same as the PP

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married to M and proud mothers to Olivia and Elise (8/19/2014) and to our fur-babies: Capone (pitbull), Jax and Atticus (cats)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I think that having 3 cycles of charting is a great way to avoid spending unnecessary money. If you temp, check cm and do opks (correctly) you should be able to see a pattern of ovulation, including if your ovulation is irregular. 

For example, I have PCOS, and I don't always ovulate. I almost always get a positive OPK, but if I have an anovulatory cyce, my temps show it. These are really good ways to check and create a pattern. 

As an added bonus, I absolutely love knowing my body well enough. Last cycle I had ewcm, so I checked the opk. The opk was glaringly positive. Despite my RE's hesitation, she did an LH test and confirmed that I was correct. Had I not known this, I would have missed my ovulation. 

Why am I on meds? I'm on meds because even though it appears (I've charted for the last year) that I do ovulate on my own, it is not always consistent. My cycles are also unpredictable (35-65 days). I did not respond to clomid. So far, it appears I may be responding to femara. I am being monitored by my RE and I wouldn't use the meds without this monitoring. 

I'm using ovidrel for the first time this month because this will take out the guesswork of whether I will actually ovulate. We are on our 6th at-home ici, so we were okay with taking the next step. 

I would continue with your RE's advice and track at home. Do you use fertility friend? If not, I strongly suggest it. Also, read the book "Taking charge of your fertility". It was incredibly useful. 

Best of luck!

TTC our first. Married to, and madly in love with, my beautiful wife. Living with our fur baby and enjoying 19 nieces and nephews. 
    • DW and I have been tracking, preparing, getting medical testing since January 2013.
    • First Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm 08/02/13: BFN
    • Second Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm 09/11/13, 09/13/13, 09/15/13: BFN
    • Third Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm: 10/13/13, 10/15/13, 10/17/13, 10/21/13: BFN
    • January 2014: Sonohysterogram shows excellent lining & tubes have no blockages
    • Fourth Cycle:  Monitored clomid cycle  w/ ICI's at home: 1/24/14 and 1/25/14. Ovulation verified:  BFN
    • Fifth Cycle: 02/2014 Femara 5mg with ovidrel trigger CD14: BFN
    • Taking a few months off to evaluate if we want to keep trying

• Options

I used Ovidrel for my first two cycles - both BFN.  I just waited to ovulate on my own with my next 3 cycles - 2 of which resulted in BFP.  My RE didn't tell me this, but I feel like my body needed a little extra time to grow the follicles.  The cycles that I didn't trigger, my follicles were bigger than the cycles when I did trigger.  That said, the decision to trigger (or not) is somewhat of a personal preference and probably works differently for different people.  Many, many people have successfully gotten pregnant using the trigger.  I just prefer not to.  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I used Ovidrel to trigger ovulation for 3 of my 5 IUIs. The upside to ovidrel is that it pinpoints the exact time of ovulation because you are triggering it at a specific time, and that can help immensely with timing of an IUI if you unsure about timing otherwise. OPKs will detect your LH surge and tell you when you are likely to ovulate and that will give you a window of time for your IUI (that is enough for many folks to time things accurately and get pregnant, but not all). I didn't get pregnant with any of my IUIs, so I really can't give any commentary on that. I do know that I was ovulating on my own without the Ovidrel, but we tried it thinking that perhaps timing was our problem.

I did not experience any side effects from Ovidrel. It is a quick and painless shot, and really not a big deal (although it is common and understandable to be anxious to use it the first time!).

The only other thing that I will note is the cost. If you are paying out of pocket, one dose of Ovidrel costs about $100-110 dollars depending on the pharmacy. That can get expensive for multiple cycles when paired with other out of pocket costs. However, it is nothing compared to the cost of sperm, so if you find that timing might be an issue for you, and your RE recommends Ovidrel, it could be a cost savings if it helps you achieve success and avoid purchasing additional vials of sperm for future cycles.

Good luck!

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Options
    StacyLH24StacyLH24 member
    edited February 2014
    I have used Ovidrel for two cycles now. For me, it relieves some anxiety tied to making sure that I detect my LH surge. Using Ovidrel, I don't have to worry about using OPKs. I do ovulate on my own, but this gives me more peace of mind when it comes to timing. Please note though, with my first three cycles, I didn't have a chance of getting pregnant anyway. This cycle is my first with an actual chance.

The needle is very small. I haven't had any problems with the actual injection. I do have pain after my IUI, but I can't directly relate that to the Ovidrel.

ETA: My insurance does cover Ovidrel. At first I didn't think it would. The out of pocket would be $109 per cycle if it wasn't covered. I would choose to pay out of pocket if I needed to. I would rather pay the $109 and have peace of mind with timing.

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Options
    Thank you for the insights. I spoke with the doctor who recommended against u/s monitoring and trigger for timing due to the additional costs and intensity of monitoring. Another option would be to do the trigger on the day of OPK+ to give an ovulation boost without the u/s monitoring. She stated there is no evidence in studies that trigger gives any additional benefit compared to OPK. I will be considering this option for the next cycle. 
     TTC at age 37
    Feb '14: Unmedicated IUI=BFN
    March '14: Ovidrel + IUI=BFN
    April '14: Ovidrel + IUI=BFN
    May '14: Clomid, Ovidrel, Prometrium+IUI=BFN
    June '14: Ovidrel, prometrium+IUI=BFN
    Aug '14: Letrezole, Ovidrel, prometrium +IUIx2=BFN
    Oct '14: Letrezole, Ovidrel, prometrium+IUI=BFN
    Nov '14: Letrezole, Ovidrel +IUI
  • Options
    I forgot about some side effects that I do have with Ovidrel. I get bloated and my boobs hurt intensely. Those side effects do not happen until about 2 days after triggering for me. I know these are related to the Ovidrel because it is too early for PMS and also for any true pregnancy symptoms. Plus, I had the same side effects the last time I used Ovidrel and I did not get pregnant (due to endometriosis).

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Options
    rkbo said:
    Hi @Mellebee  My RE does ultrasounds to see how many follicles are in my ovaries and I am to do the trigger shot once the biggest ones are over 18mm. They do all of the monitoring via ultrasound. I don't temp, do OPK's, anything on my own. 

From what I have understood, ultrasounds are the most accurate way to know how many follicles you have. The Ovidrel is done to know precisely when I ovulate..it makes you ovulate. 

I would imagine that they could tell from the ultrasound if I have prematurely ovulated and therefore would have me skip a month if need be. 

This

Me-33 DW-29
    together since 2009
    Married since 6/14/13 
    1st IUI (clomid+ovidrel) 10/14/13... BFP 10/26/13...                                                         
    EDD 7/1/14 ...MMC 11/22/13...D&C 11/25/13

2nd IUI (clomid+ovidrel) 1/15/14...BFN 

3rd IUI (unmedicated) 2/12/14...BFN
    4th IUI (clomid + ovidrel) 3/10/14...BFN
    home ICI (unmedicated) 4/4/14...BFN
    home ICI (unmedicated) 5/2 & 5/3...BFN
    5th & 6th IUI (clomid + ovidrel) 5/28 & 5/29...BFN
    7th & 8th IUI (follistim & ovidrel) 6/24 & 6/25....BFN

**all are welcome**

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 

Daisypath Friendship tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"