Parenting
Options

How many hours do you work a week?

studyinpinkstudyinpink member
edited February 2014 in Parenting
DH works 55-60 hours a week. I think this is excessive.

He works in the natural gas industry and says that working 40 hours is not the norm anymore.

So how many hours do you work a week?

ETA-spelling
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: How many hours do you work a week?

• Options
    I only work 12 (two 6 hour days). My husband works around 50-55 hours per week. I know quite a few jobs where 40 hours is normal, but a lot of industries require more. Do you work? How many hours per week?
  • Options
    I'm a teacher so I guess my hours will be a bit different. I probably spend 40-42 hours a week at school and then I maybe do another couple hours worth of work at home spread throughout the week. 

Your siggy is making me want cheese fries. :P

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Loading the player...
  • Options

"Man, be creative. Like the stuff you do. Do nice things. Love respectfully. Laugh a fucking lot. Curse when you feel like it. Life is cool." - Jean Grae

image image
    M (3/9/02) and E (2/28/12)

• Options
    40-50

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• Options
    I'm a part timer, so I work between 15-25 hours a week.  My DH works at least 60, often more, but he is running his family's business.  A big reason I'm not considering going full time right now is because in my field full time is typically around 60 hours a week.
    A: 3.07
    G: 6.10
    L: 11.13

• Options
    I'm a nurse so full time is 36 hours or 3 12 hour shifts.

I'm currently per diem and work once a week. I can always pick up extra shifts.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    40-45.

MH is more like 50-60 and he travels.
                                                                  #Bodymber14 #Bodygate #itsMillerTime

Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
  • Options
    All of them @missyishere

SAH is rough
  • Options
    40. And it takes me 20 minutes to drive to work each way

Harry Styles = Life Ruiner

There’s a lightning in your eyes I can't deny
    Then there’s me inside a sinking boat running out of time
    Without you I'll never make it out alive
    But I know, yes, I know we’ll be alright
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    J. 1.14.13 my reason for breathing 
  • Options
    40-45

My So works 50-60

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    168 hrs

• Options
    H works 50ish hours. 

I SAH and occasionally play army. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    because it didn't fucking snow enough for me to build my own
  • Options

• Options
    40. I don't do overtime.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    40. I've done the 50-60 hour a week job, and it's made me so grateful to do my 40 hours and go home. SO grateful. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                                         DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black
  • Options

Married 9/28/13    Not TTC but I will love the ladies of the TTGP board forever           

image image

Every time I see this dog, I want it. 

TTGP April siggy challenge
    image     Turbo Man

• Options
    pushing 80 this week.  I do crave a 9-6 with things like sick day and PTO..... someday perhaps
  • Options
    40 for me and 40 for DH.  I am not allowed overtime, even if I was I have to leave on time to get DS.  DH can occasionally get overtime, but it is not often.
    The Book of Love Has Music in it

• Options
    I work about 40 give or take a few hours. My husband works 60 or so.

• Options
    I SAH, but DH works 50 a week, and if you include travel it is over 60.  He often travels over 2 hours a day, 5-6 days a week.
            image image  image 
    To be loved, and to be in love
  • Options
    RatpastaRatpasta member
    edited February 2014
    @ratpasta are you a contract employee? Is that why no sick time or time off?
    sadly, its pretty normal in the entertainment industry.  Normally the jobs only last 6 or 8 weeks then you're looking for the next job.  If you ever get lucky enough to work on a long running show it comes with a steady paycheck but no paid sicks days, no PTO etc.  I almost lost my job a few years ago when I was hit on my motorcycle and had to work injured.  Deadlines are set in stone, the show airs on a certain day and if you cant finish it, someone else will.  The penalties for missing a deadline are 7 figures.
     When the hiatus comes its unpaid and sometimes its only a few days, sometimes months - that's your vacation time then back at it.
    Its a brutal industry but very rewarding in a lot of ways
  • Options
    It is odd. But I do 7.5 hour days 5 days a week. With an hour for lunch.
  • Options
    My schedule is funky.  I work 24 hours one week and then 60 the next.  That's without any overtime.  I'd say I average about 20 hours of OT a month.

DH works about 50-55 hours a week.  His normal job is 43 hours a week and then he does several extra things at work that give him OT. 

• Options
    50+

First we had eachother.5.27.11
    Then we had you.6.16.12
    Now we have everything.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I sah so like what missy said. Plus DD sleeps like only 10 hours a day and no naps so I'm on just about all waking hours and she's a mommys girl to boot. My DH works probably 45 or so but can go over when busy or can work from home. He's IT so if shit breaks he fixes it whenever needed. 

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I'm also a contract employee but my boss is awesome and let's me put in for sick days, gives me 2 weeks paid vacation, holidays, and other perks. It's why I haven't left even though I've been a contractor for 5 years next month and the commute sucks.
    thats awesome.  A great boss makes all the difference in the world
  • Options
    I work about 35 hrs. DH is an attorney who owns his own practice and he works 60 hrs.
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    So what pay grade would you (not anyone specific) say is acceptable for you (again anyone answering this question) to work 55+ hrs plus commute and working/taking calls at home?

I am NOT asking for your salaries- just wanting a general number of what you would expect to be paid working these hours.

@hilarityensued @pobrecita @motherofpearl85 @bulbasaur885
    @pghmortdoll @ftwr

@errbodythatworksacrapton

I appreciate everyone's responses!
  • Options

So what pay grade would you (not anyone specific) say is acceptable for you (again anyone answering this question) to work 55+ hrs plus commute and working/taking calls at home?

I appreciate everyone's responses!

6 figures.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Officially 37.5. Sometimes I answer work emails after hours if I'm feeling generous. Public service for the win!

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Options
    The salary question depends on so much.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Options
    edited February 2014
    I'm just really struggling with his work/life balance and trying to get perspective.

I appreciate everyone's responses. I'm at a point where I want to go back to work full time because mostly SAH is a bitch right now. Thought I would never say that last sentence.

Grass is always greener right?
  • Options
    Usually 40. Busy season (year end or upcoming audits) 50 to 60. Dh usually works 50 but will prob be doing 70 to 80 for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    I'm unionized and hourly so when I was part time, 23.25h (3 days a week). I'm currently SAH on mat leave for a year. I'll go back FT so 38.75 hours. Apparently unions like specifics.
    SQUIRREL!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"