3rd Trimester
Options

Has anyone declined to have an internal check up?

Hello, I am 36w3d and am pregnant with my third. In the past I have had internal check ups around 37 weeks. This past appointment my midwife informed me that internal exams are not necessary, especially if I haven't had any complications (which I haven't). I thought this was something that had to be done but my midwife says that some women choose not to have them done. My question is, has anyone refused or declined to have an internal exam for any reason? Thank you and have a good day?

Re: Has anyone declined to have an internal check up?

• Options
    I declined them because they hurt like hell
  • Options
    I declined until 41 weeks & then waited until active labor for any more.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Here in the UK they are not routine or offered, well not to me and I'm 39 + 6 with my second baby. If there's no complications I would assume that they are not necessary unless you particularly want your lady parts checked out haha.
  • Options
    Nobody is going in there unless they're stripping my membranes to get labor started

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I will ask for one at 36 wks because I'll already have my pants off for the GBS test. After that, I don't expect any until I'm in labor. That's my preference because they are pretty uninformative about when you will go until labor so there's really no point.
    imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

• Options
    I'm in the UK too and haven't had one internal exam or internal scan. Like PP said, they don't do it here without a reason.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• Options
    I declined one or two my last pregnancy.
  • Options
    Great, thanks for stories. Its great to hear that its normal and not something my midwife just made up lol. I think ill pass on the exam unless it becomes medically necessary.
  • Options
    I didn't have one until 40 weeks. They're completely pointless before active labor, IMO, unless they're looking to assess your for induction or strip your membranes or something. If Hagar my way I wouldn't have one until I felt ready to push.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Do you mean cervical checks? I am planning to decline until I reach my due date, then I'll consider it.
  • Options
    I'm going to decline until at least 40 weeks.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had one at 36 and again at 37 weeks, (I admit I was curious,) then I declined at 38 and 39 weeks, but I think I will have them from 40 weeks onward. For future pregnancies I think I will decline them all, unless it would be helpful to know if an induction becomes necessary or whatever.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I declined them because I know that my body will go into labor when it's ready, not because my midwife says I'm dilated or not dilated, etc. I also declined them when I was in labor because it just hurt too much to have one. 
  • Options
    My doctor started doing them last week, and I would really prefer to not have any more, as they do indeed hurt like a bitch and today I'm bleeding from the check this morning.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Not worth introducing infection. I won't do this pregnancy unless I have issues
    1st loss 8/31
    2nd pregnancy -TWINS lost DD1 twin at 8 weeks 6 days DD1 born 6 weeks early
    3rd pregnancy- TWINS AGAIN lost both babies at 9 week appt
    4th pregnancy- singleton- born at 38 weeks 1 day with the help of weekly 17P injections
    5th pregnancy- CP in June
    6th pregnancy It's a BOY

• Options
    I asked my midwife about that 2 days ago. She said unless there are complications they don't tell her anything. At 40 weeks she will talk to me about a membrane sweep but that's it.
  • Options
    I had them with my first & I think my water broke bc of a rough exam at 39 weeks. My body was not ready to be in labor & I had to be induced to get contrax going. This time no exams.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"