August 2011 Moms

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

I think our 56" flatscreen TV is dying.

About 1/4 of the time when we turn it on, the screen gets all distorted and it makes this AWFUL screeching static feedback sound that is SO loud, both the girls start screaming and crying.  It resolves after about 5 seconds, but I have a feeling it is going to get worse :(

This is the only TV we have set up in the house.  We don't have cable, so we actually only use it as a computer monitor and stream videos on it.  We have a smaller (maybe 32"?) TV in the basement closet, but it's about 10 years old, and I'm not even sure it has the right inputs to run off of the computer.

I really don't want to have to buy a new TV right now.  I'd probably be fine without it if the weather weren't so god awful, but we're watching a lot of TV with all the snow we've had recently!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

• Boooo! 
    Don't despair just yet, though: we have a 10-year old 32" tv and we hook it up to the computer all the time (and that TV is our only TV too)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Boooo! 
    Don't despair just yet, though: we have a 10-year old 32" tv and we hook it up to the computer all the time (and that TV is our only TV too)
    You give me hope!

The part I'm really dreading is where I set what I think is a reasonable TV budget, then DH wants to spend a gazillion dollars more, then I say no way, and then he tries to present me with all sorts of technical "research" about TV quality to justify the price.... I'm exhausted by it already. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Kimbus22 said:
    Boooo! 
    You give me hope!

The part I'm really dreading is where I set what I think is a reasonable TV budget, then DH wants to spend a gazillion dollars more, then I say no way, and then he tries to present me with all sorts of technical "research" about TV quality to justify the price.... I'm exhausted by it already. 
    DH and I have this EXACT fight about every electronic purchase in our house. I always lose.  He just keeps going until I can't take it anymore and would buy him a spaceship to get him to shut up and go away.
    OMG so do we.  It is SO bad.

Last summer, he built himself a brand new work computer, which involved researching and individually pricing every single component.  I would have blown my brains out if his work hadn't paid for it. 
  • I would die with no tv.
    imageimage

• Kimbus22 said:

Boooo! 

You give me hope!

DH and I have this EXACT fight about every electronic purchase in our house. I always lose.  He just keeps going until I can't take it anymore and would buy him a spaceship to get him to shut up and go away.

OMG so do we.  It is SO bad.

Last summer, he built himself a brand new work computer, which involved researching and individually pricing every single component.  I would have blown my brains out if his work hadn't paid for it. 

YES YES YES, us too!!!

I hate when DH plays the we must spend more for a quality tv card. I mean really I don't care, I just want a tv to watch , I don't care how clear the picture is!!! I definitely cried last time we bought a tv because of the ridiculous amount of money DH thought we needed to spend.

We did end up compromising though, we only spent a couple hundred (!!!) dollars more than I expected and he got a ridiculously big tv for our basement. Which of course he never watches.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • On a side note... If you do end up purchasing a new tv, check out Costco. They have great deals and a big selection for onsite compromising with DH.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Good thoughts, ladies!

amywalt1684 we are going to Costco today, so I'm sure we will at least start looking.  Ugh.  Let the negotiations begin!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"