Trouble TTC

IUI vs. timed intercourse- opinions please!

Hi ladies!
Just looking for some advice...
Me and DH have had all the testing done. I have gone through 6 rounds of clomid w/o any ovulation. Was also put on Prometrium 3x with no results.
I am starting injections sometime next month depending on if my cycle decides to come on its on or needs provera to jump start it. The doc is giving us the option of either doing 'timed intercourse' or IUI. I have done some research and know that the success rate is 10-30% more successful with IUI.
DH and I have talked about trying without IUI the first round or two, if negative results then going to IUI. The only worry is the doc has said after 4 rounds with no success he would move forward to IVF.
I was wondering if anyone had input on this? Should we not risk 1/4 of our chances w/o IUI? Has anyone had or heard of success with the 'timed intercourse'?
I feel like research can only get me so far, I would greatly appreciate anything you ladies have to offer :)
Thank you so much for any of your input!

Re: IUI vs. timed intercourse- opinions please!

• I'm on my second cycle of injections with TI. My Dr didn't even offer me an IUI. I'm assuming because I had 3 mc in 5 months so getting pregnant isn't my problem.

I'm curious what other have to say.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • What is your diagnosis? If you have any MFI I would go straight to IUI. The decision to do IUI was difficult, but now that I'm doing it I'm happy I went that way. We do not have MFI so we still BD on the night of trigger and the evening of IUI. So technically if we ever get a BFP from an IUI cycle we'd never know for sure if it was from BD or IUI. I'd go with the IUI, I like to think of it as stacking the deck in favor of a BFP. Good luck with whatever you decide!
    *** SIGGY WARNING ***

Happily Married Since 10.2006  •  TTC since 07.2012
    HSG Good & SA mostly Normal  •  DX lean PCOS
    MAR - NOV 2013  •  5 Cycles Clomid + TI = 2 Late O's/BFN & 3 Big Fat FAILS
    DEC 2013 - FEB 2014  •  IUI #1-3  •  Femara 5mg + Trigger = 3 BFNs
    MAR 2014  •  IUI #4  •  Follistim + Trigger + Crinone = BFN
    APR 2014  •  Benched  •  BCPs to clear up Cysts

MAY 2014  •  IUI #5  •  Follistim + Ganirelix + Trigger = BFP
    E.D.D. 2/18/2015
    6/11 +HPT • 6/13 BETA 447 • 6/16 BETA 1535
    6/23 U/S Adorable Little Bean • 6/30 U/S Beautiful Strong Heartbeat

• Loading the player...
  • First, the decision of when to move to IVF is yours as a couple, not your doctor's. If you want to do more than 4 cycles that's your choice, unless your RE has some clear reason to push you to move on faster (severe MFI, severely diminished ovarian reserve, blocked tubes, etc).

If you're not ready to jump to IUI yet, you could certainly start with TI+meds for a cycle or 2 before moving onto IUI, depending on your insurance coverage, finances, patience, comfort level with IVF, etc. The general rule is to change things up after 2 cycles of the same protocol. So you could try 2 medicated TI cycles, then 2 medicated IUIs, then 2 IUIs with more aggressive meds, etc. IUIs will increase your chance of success though.

Good luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
    Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
    Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
    Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

• chickysuechickysue member
    edited February 2014
    I think it's personal. I am choosing to stay on TI this cycle again. We never had a chance without clomid + ovidrel at all. I want to try a couple of times without IUI. I will do IUI if this cycle doesn't work.

I was conflicted for a few days, you will make the right decision. Follow your heart, but your chances are going to be better with IUI.
    10/2013 - Initial consult. Started levothyroxine - tsh 2.92
    HSG- showed graying in one spot/Saline Sono- showed 5mm polyp
    DH SA -  abnormal -  36%motility on both SA's (count and morph ok on SA1, a little off SA2)
    1/10/14 - Hysteroscopy to remove 5mm polyp
    1/12/14- Medicated Cycle 1: 50mg Clomid + Ovidrel + TI = BFN
    2/15/14 - Medicated Cycle 2: 100mg Clomid + Ovidrel + TI = BFN
    3/18/14 - IUI Cycle 1: 150mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI = BFN
    Upped Levothyroxine to 50mg - tested at 2.62
    4/17/14 - IUI Cycle 2: 150mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI = BFN
    Break!
    6/21/14: IUI Cycle 3: 150mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI

*All are welcome*

• Injects are expensive... I'd do the IUI. If it were Clomid or one of the oral meds, then I'd think twice about TI, but if you're going to go with injects... All in!
    **SIGGY WARNING**

Me: 32 DH: 35  TTC#1 since March 2012
    Dx: Poor Embryo Quality, Arcuate Uterus, Poor Uterine Blood Flow, Mild Endo, 
           Protein S Deficiency, Sjorgen's Syndrome 

IUI #1-5: BFN
    Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy: minimal endo, partial septoplasty
    IVF #1: 10R/6M/6F ~ Day 3 ET = BFN
    IVF #2: 14R/9M/5F ~ transfer canceled ~ all embryos arrested at 1-2 cell stage
    IVF #3: 9R/5M/5F ~ 1 frosty!
    IVF #4 (FET #1): BFN

IVF #5 (DE IVF #1 with Dr. KK protocol): Currently PREGNANT!!!!!!
    Synthroid + Prednisone + Metformin + Baby Aspirin + Supplements Galore = 15+ pills a day
    Lupron + Lovenox + Delestrogen + IVIG + B/W = 2-5 pokes a day
    19R, 17M, 17F - transferred two Grade A blasts 11/16, four frosties!!!
    Beta #1 11/24 (13dpo/8dp5dt) = 367 ~ Beta #2 11/26 (15dpo/10dp5dt) = 709
    Beta #3 11/29 (18dpo/13dp5dt) = 1,997 ~ Beta #4 12/1 (20dpo/15dp5dt) = 3,403

imageimageimage

My Blog: Running and Dreaming for Two ~ All are Welcome!
  • RunCC37 said:

Injects are expensive... I'd do the IUI.

Oh yeah, I missed that part. With injects I personally wouldn't do more than 1 TI cycle.

TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
    Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
    Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
    Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

• I'm in the IUI camp.  Here's how I see it: If you just do TI and get a BFN, then you will second guess your decision to just do TI.  If you go right to IUI and get a BFP, then who cares if TI might have worked! 

But there is no wrong answer here!  Good luck with whatever you decide. 
    Me: 34 | He: 40
    TTC since 08/2012
    DX: DOR

• Since this is going to be our first medicated cycle with the RE, we have decided to do TI as long as our post-coital test comes back alright.  We were able to get pregnant on our own previously, so our RE is supportive of this. We were told that because DH has no known issues that IUI doesn't improve our chances by much, so we would like to try TI for a few cycles. It's a personal decision, but this is what we are comfortable with.
    We are currently on Femara. If we go more than 2 cycles with TI, or if we have to switch to injects we'll go to IUI no matter what. 
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

*****Siggy Warning*****

Toby        image

Me:28 DH:28
    TTC #1 since Nov '12
    DX: Non-IR PCOS & Hypothyroidism 
    BFP: 11/7/13 EDD: 7/18/14 Ectopic Tubal Surgery 12/18 
    2/5 HSG all clear!
    Femara 5mg + Trigger + IUI #1- 5 = BFN
    IVF #1 - 17R 15M 11F - Transferred 1 beautiful hatching blast on 9/26    4 Frosties
    Beta (10dp5dt) = 166  Beta #2 (12dp5dt) = 284  Beta #3 (14dp5dt) = 471  Beta #4 (18dp5dt) = 2032
    EDD: 6/14/15
    ~All are welcome~

BabyFruit Ticker

• ttuprincessttuprincess member
    edited February 2014
    I am doing injects + TI this cycle. I had long talks about the options with both my DH and my RE. We have no male factor issues. My RE says with DH's numbers the difference in success rates for TI v IUI is almost nonexistent. My DH is more comfortable with TI so we are going that route. If this cycle fails and we decide to cycle again we will likely move onto IUI. I understand the belief that if you are already spending the money for injects it is beneficial to go all in, but in the end, it is a very personal decision about what is right for you. Good luck with whatever you decide.

**************SIGGY WARNING**************

BLOG

Me 32 :: DH 41

TTC since November, 2011

DH's SA : Excellent

Lap and Hysteroscopy June 2012

DX: PCOS, Stage III Endo, slight Adenomyosis, blocked tube, and probable LPD

Treatments:  6 Months Lupron Depot injections; 1500 mg metformin; 3 cycles of Clomid + TI = BFN

3 endometrial biopsies all were "out of phase" 

September - December, 2013:  Break to lose weight and get healthy

40 lb weight loss but still not ovulating "in phase"  

February - March 2014: bcps + follistim + trigger + TI = BFP

Beta #1 (12dpo): 30; Beta #2 (18dpo): 500; Beta #3 (25dpo): 7,000!!! 

1st u/s 4/16: One beautiful hb at 144 bmp 

2nd u/s 4/29: hb at 166 bmp.  Graduated from RE!!

TEAM PINK! 

Baby girl arrived on Thanksgiving day weighing 7lbs 6oz and measuring 20 inches

• If your husband has a MFI, then definitely move forward with the IUI. My DH has a morphology issue and our RE told us that we had a less than 1% chance for TI to work. So our decision was a no brainer. But do whatever you feel is right! There's no right or wrong choice.
    TTC 06/12
    Me- 27 Unexplained Infertility, DH- 29 Poor Morphology
    09/12- Clomid + TI = BFN
    11/12- DH had varicocele. No change. 
    06/13 IUI Cancelled due to premature ovulation. 
    08/13 IUI #1 -Clomid + HCG = BFN
    09/13 IUI # 2 - Clomid + HCG = BFN
    11/13 IUI #3 - Menopur + HCG = BFN
    2/14 IUI #4- Menopur + HCG = BFN
    Moving on to IVF. 1st Cycle starting June 2014

photo ceb87159-9041-4c7e-9945-2c41309a9e8c.jpg
    March Siggy Challenge: DH and I cruised through a Tropical Storm to Cozumel, Mexico, got engaged, and swam with dolphins!
  • Thank you so much ladies! DH only has very mild issues- slightly lower mobility numbers than RE would prefer. I have PCOS, insulin resistance, and metabolic disorder - Endometrisis and HSG testing all came back normal.
    The RE told me in similar cases like ours that if no BFP by 4th round the likelihood of having positive results on the next rounds is slim to none. Money is also another factor as to why we are thinking TI first. But RE did not tell me about doing TI + IUI and I am definitely going to bring that option up to RE and DH! I like the idea of stacking up our chances!!
    I really appreciate all your inputs very much! <3 so glad I found this forum :)
  • @MeatandBandP I'll second that, but I couldn't recall the exact figures. 
    Me: 34 | He: 40
    TTC since 08/2012
    DX: DOR

• ttuprincessttuprincess member
    edited February 2014

RunCC37 said:

Injects are expensive... I'd do the IUI. If it were Clomid or one of the oral meds, then I'd think twice about TI, but if you're going to go with injects... All in!

This 1 million percent. 

It's funny so many say their RE says there are no difference chance wise with IUI and TI. My RE, both my old and new, say that if you haven't gotten pregnant in a year with good timing, your chance of success with TI is about 5%, with IUI it is between 15-20%

(Sorry I am mobile and my ability to quote is all messed up) :)

Our problem is that I don't ovulate (or at least strong enough). Even with clomid I have not had even a chance of getting KU because I don't ovulate "in phase". So the thinking between TI v IUI for us is that the trick is inducing a nice strong O. If we can get that to happen (finally!) then TI v. IUI is not seen as an issue. Of course I would only probably do one TI cycle, but I see the reason why my RE thinks it is worth trying TI at least once.

**************SIGGY WARNING**************

BLOG

Me 32 :: DH 41

TTC since November, 2011

DH's SA : Excellent

Lap and Hysteroscopy June 2012

DX: PCOS, Stage III Endo, slight Adenomyosis, blocked tube, and probable LPD

Treatments:  6 Months Lupron Depot injections; 1500 mg metformin; 3 cycles of Clomid + TI = BFN

3 endometrial biopsies all were "out of phase" 

September - December, 2013:  Break to lose weight and get healthy

40 lb weight loss but still not ovulating "in phase"  

February - March 2014: bcps + follistim + trigger + TI = BFP

Beta #1 (12dpo): 30; Beta #2 (18dpo): 500; Beta #3 (25dpo): 7,000!!! 

1st u/s 4/16: One beautiful hb at 144 bmp 

2nd u/s 4/29: hb at 166 bmp.  Graduated from RE!!

TEAM PINK! 

Baby girl arrived on Thanksgiving day weighing 7lbs 6oz and measuring 20 inches

• Is a post coital test the one where you have sex one day and come in the next and they check your cervical mucus to see if any sperm are in it? I had a test that did that and they saw no sperm the next day. I am just trying to figure out what tests ive had bc everything moved so fast and nothing was really explained to me. sorry for the random question i just saw someone talking about it.
    as for your question i think if you have come this far go for the iui! 
    Husband: MFI Counts 1-11mil, Mot 32%-50% Morph 2-4%
    Me: slightly underactive thyroid
    Married March 2013 TTC since wedding.. 
    Jan 2014 Non medicated IUI-failed 
    April 2014 Started Clomid cancelled IUI due to a low sample
    May 2014 Variococele repair surgery
    (PM me any surgery success stories!)
  • I agree that it's totally a personal decision. From what my RE told me, IUI is the most successful in women who have ovulation issues and combine it with injects. It is actually less successful in MFI and unexplained. That sort of bummed me out because we are MFI and I thought that IUI was all we would need. But how she explained it is that with MFI, the chances of success with IUI are greater than with TI but not as good as when ovulation is the issue (if it is helped with meds) or even unexplained IF.

If your only issue is inducing ovulation, I would definitely maximize my chances with IUI. But only you know what feels right to you. Follow your instincts.

********Siggy/Ticker Warning***********

Me (35) no known issues DH (37) MFI. TTC 21 months (24 cycles)
    Dx MFI with low to normal count, low motility, morphology 3%
    HSG normal, ultrasound and labs on me all normal. 

1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and TI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN
    1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and IUI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN
    Started seeing an RE!!
    2 more cycles of clomid 50mg (great response), with IUI and Pregnyl trigger (4.8-8 mil good ones after wash) = all BFN
    1 cycle of clomid 50mg (3-7) followed by Follistim 75iu (7-11) + IUI = BFN
    December 2013 DH saw urologist and is taking Anastrozole, CoQ10, and L-Carnitine
    IUI #5 natural cycle (needed a med break) = BFN
    IUI #6 Follistim 75iu (CD3-10) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI (final count after wash 300K) = BFN
    IUI #7 Follistim 75iu (CD3-9) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI on 2/20 (post wash count 12.5 million)= BFN
    IUI cancelled (DH OOT) Clomid 50mg (CD3-7) 1 follicle +(not well timed) TI = BFN
    IUI #8 and last one!! Clomid 100mg (CD3-7) +OPK before US + IUI 4/17 (post wash 8.5 mil)= BFN

Pre-IVF testing complete! SHG great and measurements taken! Labs for infectious diseases completed, FSH (5.4), TSH (1.6), Prolactin (11), AMH (2.6), Estradiol (40).

Started BCP 5/29 and Lupron 6/11 prep for IVF #1! Started follistim 225u/day on 6/28. Monitoring on 7/2 >15 follicles measuring 11-14, E2 758. Monitoring on 7/5 all ready to go!! Great follicle sizes and lining is at 9. Tigger 7/5, ER 7/7 16R 9M 3F. Stimmed too fast in just 7 days. 7/10 3dt of 2 8-cell grade 2 & 4. 7/14 P4 >60.
    Holy crap BFP!!!
    Beta #1 (14dpo) 7/21 112 Beta #2 (16dpo) 7/23 286 a Beta #3 (18dpo) 7/25 761 Beta #4 (21dpo) 2631!!! Hold on tight little embies!!
      First Ultrasound 8/7- 1 perfect little bean with a beating heart 117bpm!! EDD 3/30.
    Second ultrasound 9/2 Little bean measuring a few days ahead with a heart rate of 161!

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

Pregnancy Ticker

March 15 Siggy Challenge: You had one job

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"