August 2013 Moms
Options

BTDT moms ear infection! HELP please

StormytuckerStormytucker member
edited February 2014 in August 2013 Moms
My lo is 6 months now and has been fighting an ear infection for over three weeks, we have done a ten day course of amoxicillin then started omnicef and three days into that bad fever and now he started rocephin shots once a day for three days at pedi's office! He's pitiful does anyone have experience with this and if you did, did your child end up having to get ear tubes? He's miserable and I feel helpless!!!

Re: BTDT moms ear infection! HELP please

• Options
    We give Tylenol when they are in pain from it. My LO got tubes this November but he is 2.5 years old.  I wish we had done it much sooner. He had 10+ ear infections in just over a year however, one infection wouldn't make me get the tubes. I'm sorry, hope he feels better soon!

• Options
    My now 4 y/o and 2.5 y/o had recurrent ear infections resulting in multiple sets of tubes and having adenoids removed. LO has had one ear infection so far. Amoxicillin never did much for any of them. I don't know about the shots you mentioned, but seems pretty aggressive. I was concerned about extended antibiotic use and feel that it had some long term effects with my oldest.

Keep on top of the Tylenol and try alternating with Motrin. Steam showers always seem to loosen things up and provide some relief. Elevate the crib mattress with rolled blankets. I was never a fan of humidifiers, but they can be helpful too. Hopefully LO will be feeling better in a few days!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We dealt with them none stop with DD1 starting at 4 months. ENT wanting to get as close to 1 year old as possible before doing tubes (he said it decreases the chances of additional sets). We did them at 10 months. She had 2 more infections right after the surgery but nothing after. Her tubes fell out less than 6 months later but we didn't gave any other trouble. 

We also began seeing a chiropractor weekly a few months before surgery. Unfortunately it was too late to help enough to not need the surgery.  We continued going regularly after surgery and still to this day. If your have a pediatric chiropractor in the area that may be another option. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
  • Options
    I agree on it being in the early side for tubes, I'm looking to the future. It has already been mentioned and his doctor is actually conservative. LO just isn't responding to any Meds so far and he refuses the bottle (doc says sucking motion irritates his ears) and his fever is staying between 101 and 102 with short breaks with Tylenol so something has to be done.
  • Options
    Garlic oil. It's an anti-bacterial and anti fungal. However if that doesn't work and is accompanied with a fever call your ped

BabyFruit Ticker

j13 sept. siggy challenge: Apples:

• Options
    OP, there was a great ear infection thread a while ago. Try searching for it in the bump search tool. I also would not recommend a chiropractor for something like this. Good luck!

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • Options
    I don't know if you're into trying natural stuff.. But if you put melaleuca oil on a cotton swab and rub it around the ear it can help. Good luck!!! Hope your LO feels better soon!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice we go back in the morning for LO's last rocephin shot doctor seems to think by the third day of this he should see improvement! My fingers are crossed and praying hard he's felt bad for way to long!
  • Options
    I don't know if you're into trying natural stuff.. But if you put melaleuca oil on a cotton swab and rub it around the ear it can help. Good luck!!! Hope your LO feels better soon!
    I agree with this too, just be sure you are rubbing it around the ear and not IN the ear.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
  • Options
    I'm totally for tryin natural things thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    I had a lot as a baby so I read up on risk factors when I got pregnant. We made a choice not to use a pacifier since the WHO indicated they increase chances of ear infections. Mobile so don't have the link. Don't know if you use one or if limiting time with one would help at all. Otherwise same as what others are saying. Hope LO gets better.
  • Options
    PP our LO is not a pacifier user or thumb sucker so far, never has been interested, but that is interesting info considering friends I have who's children have ear tubes all are big time pacifier users!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"