Northern California Babies
Options

Moving to San Francisco - recommendations for neighborhoods?

Hello!

I'm a FTM to a 6+ month old daughter. Originally from Boston, we will most probably be moving to San Francisco sometime between May and September of this year. I love our neighborhood in Boston and hope to find something similar over there. So, my question to you: which neighborhood would you recommend for a young family?

Ideally, I would like something that is 
1) well connected to public transport
2) has lots of other young families
3) not too far from Oyster Point (where we'll be working)

Would any of you have tips for me?

Thanks in advance!
The original: Aug2013
The remix: Feb2017
The encore: coming Oct2019

Re: Moving to San Francisco - recommendations for neighborhoods?

• Options
    CurlieWhirlieCurlieWhirlie member
    edited February 2014
    Oyster Point isn't actually in San Francisco, it's in South San Francisco, which is a separate city further down the peninsula. You wouldn't want to commute from San Francisco to South City for work. Kind of like living near downtown Boston and commuting to Beverly for work. The good news is that South City is a pretty suburban area, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a nice family-friendly neighborhood.
  • Options
    Thank you @curliewhirlie!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Early welcome! I'll actually be in YOUR city tomorrow for a week! :)

like previous poster said, Oyster Point is a bit further down the peninsula. It's out of the city, so it's more suburban, and a lot of people with families tend to move a little south out of San Francisco. If you start searching for areas like South San Francisco, Daly City, and San Bruno, you'll find housing pretty near to where you'll be working. I'm not too familiar with actual communities in that area, but I'm sure there are plenty!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    thank you @glittermuffin914, and have fun in "Bahston"!  Bundle up warm :)

• Options
    Oh I tried to post a follow-up last night but it looks like it didn't work — you mentioned public transportation, and I'm afraid we just don't have anything out here as good as the T. Since South San Francisco is suburban, you will really want to have a car.

What part of Boston do you live in now? I grew up here, but I lived in Cleveland Circle, then Brighton Center, then Watertown before I moved back to the Bay Area.
  • Options
    Aw man, a car? How about a Vespa ;) ? Although I don't think that would be the best way to cart a kid around...
    It just seems like a waste of money, but if there's no way around it...

Right now we live in Jamaica Plain - Boston's hip (?), hippy, crunchy neighborhood. I do believe we'd fit right in over there in SF. :D

• Options
    It's so mean of you to include a picture of JP Licks when we don't have any out here!

Also, we don't have Dunkin' Donuts, so prepare yourself.

See's Candy is pretty freakin' awesome, and their factory is in South San Francisco.
  • Options
    South San Francisco, San Bruno, millbrae or Burlingame are a short enough commute. Burlingame is pricey but so cute, tons of shopping, tons of young families.
    yes, my baby is a zombie.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Welcome!  I moved from Boston almost 5 years ago.  There's definitely neighborhoods that would fit your needs in the city but you have to decide if you want to commute.  It really wouldn't be too bad of a drive.  I know about some of the towns on the peninsula.  Are you able to visit before you move out?  That's what we did before we moved - identified our neighborhoods of interest before we came and then spent a weekend touring around.  Feel free to PM me for more info!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @teach1008 Thank you! We were flown out last weekend for the area tour. San Francisco is a very cool city and the agent did manage to find some places for us that weren't completely out of this world, rent-wise.

@scottwswife Thank you! Sorry, I was only on mobile this weekend and didn't see your answer until today.

• Options
    We currently live in the city now but to raise kids we will probably rent out our place and live in the suburbs by the time our little bean is ready to go to school. Public transportation is good so commuting isn't difficult. If you have questions about specific neighborhoods I can help you out good luck with the move!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"