October 2013 Moms
Options

DH is not getting the hang of this (long vent)

I don't usually do much DH bashing here because really he is pretty awesome, does a lot around the house, and tries really hard to help me with the girls, but he is just not getting the hang of caring for infants, particularly bedtime which is when I need him the most. He cannot read any of the babies' cues.  If they cry for any reason at all, he thinks they are hungry  - even if they've just had a huge bottle.  When he feeds them, he holds them on the end of his knees, facing him with one hand around the back of the neck and sort of shoves the bottle in - they get really squirmy and fussy like that - probably because they are not sitting very securely, and then they make a huge mess and DH gets frustrated.

He can't seem to get the hang of holding a baby in a relaxing way.  He either holds them so that they are sitting upright, facing outward, or on their backs, perpendicular to his body with their feet against his chest (sort of like he is holding a serving platter).  This is fine when LOs are awake and happy but its not the most relaxing or comfy hold for them and LOs never relax or fall asleep like that. I've tried to show him how to cradle them or some other ways of holding them because I really need help getting them to sleep, but whenever he tries to do any kind of more cuddly hold, he tenses up and says its uncomfortable. 

And he never thinks they are tired.  As long as their eyes are open he thinks they are wide awake and want to be played with.  This is problematic at bedtime because when I see they are getting tired I usually swaddle them and then rock or walk with them for awhile but I can only do one at a time, so I leave him in charge of the other one.  Inevitably, I come down to find LO unswaddled and fussy, rubbing their eyes and obviously tired, on the couch with DH shoving toys in their face.  Then he will tell me that LO must be hungry because she is fussing.  Then he will try to feed her, which usually just makes her angry because he is so awkward at it and she is probably not hungry anyway.

In the MOTN he is even worse because he resents being woken up, so then we have all the above problems but with an attitude too, which pisses me off.  I do all the night shifts.  I only wake him if both babies are up at the same time or if I'm just getting really frustrated and am about to lose my shit.  But usually he makes it worse because he's so awkward and the girls get overtired and I end up taking care of it anyway.

I've talked to him a lot about this and show him when I notice LOs giving their tired or hungry/not hungry cues so he can learn to identify them but it doesn't seem to sink in. I've tried and failed to help him find a comfortable way to hold and feed LOs.  I don't want to be a nag, and he is getting a little oversensitive about it -  he gets really defensive about it now when we talk about it.  I feel like he wants to help, he just can't seem to get the hang of it and now he is frustrated and losing confidence, and is sort of giving up trying and just letting me do all of it.  I'm hoping he'll get better as the girls get a little older.  What do you think, is there any hope for him?

Anyone else have a slow learner in the baby department?  How did you help them?

image4months_2radioflyer
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: DH is not getting the hang of this (long vent)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    yes - I'm hoping he'll get better when they're a little older.  I feel like I am always wishing this first year away, I'm always just counting down the weeks and months until they are older and things will get better. :(

image4months_2radioflyer

• Options
    Raises hand. I cringe if DH comes in when I'm trying to get DD down. He will amp her right up again. He hates taking directions. I used to come in and take over as soon as she started fussing, or tell him what to do. Lately I have been asking "do you want help? Do you want to know how to get her to stop?" He has to say yes for me to help. If he chooses not to follow my advise it's his problem.

Now having said that, I know it is easier for me having only one. I don't know how I would do it with two.

9/13/12 BFP 9/25/12 M/C at 6.5 weeks

***All AL'ers Welcome***

• Options
    My husband is pretty clueless as well. He's a great husband, but when it comes to soothing Cora or figuring our what she wants, he's just clueless. I don't have any advice but can feel your pain (with 1 baby).

• Options
    I agree with sleeps that if you leave him alone he'll be forced to learn. But let them find their own groove. Initially, I thought my husband was holding baby super awkwardly and stuff, but guys just have a different style and that's OK.

• Options
    My husband didn't "get it" until he pulled a night shift and I left him alone with her. He is a very hands in learner and was way more comfortable after I had left him to fend for himself.

As the other ladies have said, positive reinforcement went a long way with my DH as well. He continues to gain confidence when I tell him he's doing something well etc. it sounds like a lot if hand holding but the pay off (a partner who is more comfortable providing care) is totally worth.

Sending you hugs... Creepy, creepy internet hugs!
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• Options
    MH is learning as he goes.  He had a problem holding DS while feeding also.  He found it easier to put DS in the boppy to feed him instead of holding him.  After feeding was going well in the boppy he tried again while holding him and it when much better, I think DH was just more comfortable with him by that point.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My boyfriend isn't good with cues either. I'll try to put DS down for a nap & he'll fuss & my boyfriend will pick him up & start playing with him which makes him more tired & then DS starts screaming. Then he trys to say oh he's hungry or he's teething we should give him Tylenol etc. No, he's overtired & now it's impossible to get him to sleep! He also sucks at night feeding! Tries to feed him from the crib or puts him back down before he's finished because he looks like he's sleeping & then he screams.
    I can't imagine doing this with two, you deserve an award!
  • Options
    Sorry things are so rough right now :( all I can contribute is that DH heavily depends on the boppy when he wants to hold DS in a more calming position.... Have you tried something similar?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    March Siggy Challenge: whatever you want! --> ORIGINAL CHALLENGE: GIF YOUR BABY!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I hope things get better for you as they get older! I couldn't imagine having 2 of them! I was also going to suggest leaving one of them at home with him while you and the other leave for a little bit. I would try that for awhile and then leave both of them once he gets comfortable and builds his confidence back up. 

Dh was also similar with ds, but he picks him up from daycare and it's just the 2 of them at home for an hour and a half in the evenings. They had some rough nights, but eventually they worked out the kinks and do great.

Good luck! I hope things smooth out quickly!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    DH was clueless in the beginning. Would only hold her in a football hold, which she hated it, thought fussy always equaled hungry, etc. It sucked.

But a couple days/evenings alone with her really helped him. He also liked getting out of the house with her.

Now that we are on our third he still isn't great with the night stuff. For example he wanted to try and let me sleep but then thought he could just lay in bed 3 feet from me with DD and that would work.

I like the idea of him mirroring you or leaving him alone for a day with one (or both) and he will sink or swim. If he is on his own make sure it is not during a nap time. Let him really deal with play time and getting one to go down.

Good Luck.
    Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • Options
    Not to be bad, but you are lucky he is even making the effort.  A lot of guys wouldn't even do that.  Some guys are very maternal, and others are just not.  Maybe find an area of parenting that he will be awesome at-- like when they are toddlers or teenagers... and give him a chance to make it up then. 

My hubs is very good with certain things (playtime, taking her if I really need him to, carrying the carseat, getting the stroller out of the trunk, etc.), okay at some (diapering) and awful at others (bad at feeding and recognizing cues, too).  I just realize that we each have our own strengths and weaknesses and try to focus on what he can do and hold him to that. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    photo fallinginlove_zps8333e154.jpgimageimage
  • Options
    Nothing to add but maybe he is bad with babies but will be great with older kids as mentioned previously. And if so, that's better anyway because they are babies less time than they are kids. So, maybe it will be better in the long run?
    Also, all the nights with 2 times the work?! Heaven bless you.
  • Options
    Babies tend to be a very steep learning curve for most men.
    Some good suggestions above.
    One reason leaving him alone may help is because you won't be there to critique him. Mothers mean well, but a lot of fathers are intimidated by the idea of never being as good as "Mommy".
    Similar to what others said - try giving praise only. As long as he's not causing harm, just hold your tongue and let him figure it out. When he does, lots of compliments. And rather than saying "do it this way", reframe it as "sometimes she likes it when I do this". Just keep in mind that different =/= wrong. What works for you may not work for him and vice versa. That's what makes you Mommy and him Daddy. Throughout their lives, your girls will have Mommy days and Daddy days. How nice that you have a combined arsenal of tools to help you.
    Try a little more commiserating to reinforce that you two are on the same team. You really want to empower him for the long haul.
    Good Luck.
  • Options
    My ex husband was like that. Sucked so bad with the girls. Then again, he just kind of gave up and never out much effort into it. I swear the best thing that ever happened to my now fiance was him staying home with LO for three weeks and me not bring around to chastise him. He figured it out. He may have his own way of doing some things, but that's ok. They have their own little groove going on and I'm grateful for that!
  • Options
    First of all, you are amazing.
    My DH is super unhelpful in this - he's all for playtime, but anything comforting? Not so much. 
    And no, he doesn't read DS's cues at all - I actually LOL'ed reading your post because it sounds exactly like DH. If DS's eyes are open, he must be awake, not tired - wrong. Anytime he's fussy, DH thinks he wants to nurse. MOTN feedings are all me - he throws a little tantrum if I even try to ask him to change a diaper.
    We've had some serious discussions about this - I had to back off on telling him what to do, and resist the urge to "save" him when LO is crying. Even last night I had him hold DS for 10 minutes so I could get ready for bed, and he cried / fussed the whole time - I just had to shut the bathroom door and turn on the fan so I couldn't hear it and leave them be. They (both DH and DS) have to figure it out. At one point he did start to pull away and give up, but I reiterated that I really needed his help, and explain the things I figured he could help with. 

Can he give one a bath while you get one down? I find that bath time is a nice medium between "play" and "quiet time", so it might be easier for your H, plus it helps calm LO down. I've also sent DH upstairs with LO to rock him in a dark room with the sound machine on - it was easier for DH to do that then try to calm him down any other way, and I've found that very specific instructions help.

Sorry your going through this!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Welcome Daniel! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image image
  • Options
    DH is good but has a few of the same things you're describing.  I helped him to recognize her cues by pointing them out to him.  Now every evening I ask him before I put her to bed, "do you think she's tired enough to go to sleep?" so he can say, "yes, I saw her rub her eyes" or "no, I haven't seen her yawning."  It helps him to be consulted as an expert after I've pointed the cues out so many times.

With the fussing and bottle stuffing, I did two things.  First, I made a list of ways to soothe DD without a bottle and hung it on the fridge.  Second, I put baby on a ration (x number of bottles per x hours while I'm at work, and I only put 4.5 oz per bottle since that's all she should get per feeding) because he was feeding as much as 20 oz in the 8 hrs I was at work!  This has been effective.

For holding her to feed her, he's good now.  When she was in that delicate newborn stage, I had him use the Boppy.  Then I'd lay baby on the boppy snuggled against him and hand him the bottle.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • Options
    Crinita said:

Not to be bad, but you are lucky he is even making the effort.  A lot of guys wouldn't even do that.

No! No, no, no! That *is* bad @Crinita! I agree with most of what you said but I can't get behind the idea that she's *lucky* to have a husband who is trying to do his fair share. That should be the baseline expectation. It's *good* that he's trying to meet that baseline, but saying she's lucky implies that he is somehow less responsible for childcare than she is. I know that isn't what you were trying to say. It just gets on my nerves that the distinction still needs to be made in this day and age.
  • Options
    Lee81 said:
    Not to be bad, but you are lucky he is even making the effort.  A lot of guys wouldn't even do that.
    No! No, no, no! That *is* bad @Crinita! I agree with most of what you said but I can't get behind the idea that she's *lucky* to have a husband who is trying to do his fair share. That should be the baseline expectation. It's *good* that he's trying to meet that baseline, but saying she's lucky implies that he is somehow less responsible for childcare than she is. I know that isn't what you were trying to say. It just gets on my nerves that the distinction still needs to be made in this day and age.
    Yeah, you maybe lucky if your husband is naturally good with babies, but making an effort doesn't involve luck.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    sleepy33 said:

Lee81 said:

Crinita said:

Yeah, you maybe lucky if your husband is naturally good with babies, but making an effort doesn't involve luck.

Yes! I hope I didn't sound like I assume everyone is going to always end up actually being equally as helpful. They just need to try. DH might not be able to soothe the baby and I end up having to do it sometimes. As long as he makes a reasonable effort, I feel like he's doing his part. He gets better and better at it and DD gets more and more used to being comforted by someone other than me.
  • Options
    Yeah, I know.  What I meant is that relatively speaking to all of the moms and dads in this world, a person is indeed lucky if the dad is (a) there and (b) trying to make an effort.  Of course the ideal baseline is 50/50 but sadly the reality is often different. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    photo fallinginlove_zps8333e154.jpgimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"