Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Solids

DDs dr told us at her 4mo check up that the latest rec is to wait to intro solids in EBF babies until 6mo but my sis told me that if DD was STN but now isn't because she wants to nurse then it might be time to intro rice cereal.

How do I know when is the right time? Any tips for introducing solids and I assume I start with rice cereal with a little breastmilk in it?

We are doing the RNP to crib transition as well as transitioning out of the swaddle bc she is rolling back to front and front to back so I'm a little worried about making Tom many changes at once.

Any tips?
DD is 18wks
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Solids

• Options
    I would listen to my pedi. It is normal for babies not to STTN at this age. Unless there are some issues it is recommended to wait at least 6 mos to introduce solids if not later.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    hilalk said:

I would listen to my pedi. It is normal for babies not to STTN at this age. Unless there are some issues it is recommended to wait at least 6 mos to introduce solids if not later.

This

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• Options
    We skipped rice cereal. Whether your baby STTN has nothing to do with it. We did oatmeal with water-- he did not like the Breastmilk with it. We then moved on to fruit/veg/meat purée.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Listen to your Pedi.  There are a number of reasons why your Dr may want you to wait.  If you think your LO is ready, call your Pedi and discuss it with them.   We skipped cereals all together.  LO did not care for them.  I started with veggies.  It worked great.  My LO was ready at a little over 4 months.  His weight was good, and he was more than showing interest.  Now at almost 6 months, the little joker thinks he can walk and eat just like his 9 year old sister!   There are a number of signals your LO will give you when they are ready.  Search it on TB.
  • Options
    oh I wanted to ask what the "signs" they show? 

My LO is almost at that bridge too for solids. 
  • Options
    oh I wanted to ask what the "signs" they show? 

My LO is almost at that bridge too for solids. 
    https://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-when/

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    THANK YOU FOR THE LINKS ^_^
  • Options
    cagoldi said:
    DDs dr told us at her 4mo check up that the latest rec is to wait to intro solids in EBF babies until 6mo but my sis told me that if DD was STN but now isn't because she wants to nurse then it might be time to intro rice cereal. How do I know when is the right time? Any tips for introducing solids and I assume I start with rice cereal with a little breastmilk in it? We are doing the RNP to crib transition as well as transitioning out of the swaddle bc she is rolling back to front and front to back so I'm a little worried about making Tom many changes at once. Any tips? DD is 18wks
    The right time is when your pedi tells you, not your sister. Whether or not your baby is STTN should not be the impetus for starting solids. You don't have to do rice cereal, we're going to skip it altogether.
    same here.  Rice cereal is actually just a filler.  There is no real nutritional value to it.  Up your feedings and see if LO is satisfied.  Growth spurts will cause them to eat more.  
    View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    My forever love  ( April Siggy Challenge) 
  • Options

My pedi said they prefer if you wait the 6 months however it is ok to slowly introduce solids after 4 months if your child is showing interest... People have been telling me since our LO was weeks old that we need to start giving him cereal bc he wakes so often at night to nurse, but talk is cheap and everyone seems to know what is best for your child... *rolls eyes

Do what you are comfortable with and follow your childs cues, after all you know them best :)

• Options
    I just went to LOs 4 month checkup on Monday and his pedi said we could introduce solids at any time. She said in the last year new research has suggested introducing a variety of foods earlier can help avoid food allergies. But still, you should go by what your pedi recommends, and if they want you to wait until 6 months you ought to consider their advice. My LO is at risk for celiacs so we are going to introduce gluten to him before 6 months (due to research recently done suggesting that introducing gluten between 4 and 6 months reduces the risk of developing celiacs).
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"