Two Under 2
Options

Working mom - how to prepare for maternity leave with 2u2.

I think this is my biggest concern.  Currently my mom watches DS1 M-F while I go to work.  She lives 20 minutes away.  I wasn't really planning on taking him to her while I was on maternity leave because it seems like a waste of a drive if I'll be home all day. But then again his routine will be thrown for a loop if we stop cold turkey and then pick up the routine again 2-3 months later.  He'll be 15 months old when DS2 arrives.  If I go over to my mom's it seems like I might as well just stay there and get extra help instead of driving there and back 40 minutes.  (DH does pickup).  I was very independent with DS1 and wanted to try out adjusting to everything on my own at home so I only went to my mom's house a few days a week.

What did/will you do?  Will you keep up the routine?  I was also considering maybe sending him to MDO program in my area but that too would be a big change for him.

imageimageimage VOTE on my Name List     
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Working mom - how to prepare for maternity leave with 2u2.

• Options
    We did DC 3x per week while I was on maternity leave. It was perfect because he still got to play with other kids and stay in a routine- and I got to hang out with DS1 and actually nap when he napped!
    IMG_0663
  • Options
    kcbv123 said:
    We did DC 3x per week while I was on maternity leave. It was perfect because he still got to play with other kids and stay in a routine- and I got to hang out with DS1 and actually nap when he napped!
    I liked doing a combination.  I wanted quiet one on one time with the new baby and I wanted to relax some so we stuck with daycare mostly.  Now we have a nanny so I'm not exactly sure how things are going to work with everyone at home but we'll see.  I may just hide in my bedroom. 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD1 is 15 months old and in daycare full time. It would be nice to save on that cost while i"m on maternity leave with #2 but I don't think it will be beneficial to her to take her out of her routine. She's in a class of 4 kiddos right now, all similiar ages, and they'll be switching rooms together  etc. So, we're leaving her in daycare and sucking up the cost.
  • Options
    hollygb22 said:
    DD1 is 15 months old and in daycare full time. It would be nice to save on that cost while i"m on maternity leave with #2 but I don't think it will be beneficial to her to take her out of her routine. She's in a class of 4 kiddos right now, all similiar ages, and they'll be switching rooms together  etc. So, we're leaving her in daycare and sucking up the cost.
    For most providers, you have to pay whether or not your kid goes because otherwise they would lose their spot.  Maybe your provider isn't like this but I expect that almost all are.  I will be paying my nanny while on leave even if I don't use her all the time because it would be really unfair to make her go without pay because I had a baby.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options
    My DD was 18 months when DS was born, we stopped DC and she stayed home with us. She was so young I don't think she really thought anything of the change. She was certainly happy to be home with Mommy. I wouldn't worry too much about his routine at this age. It's great that your mom is close by b/c you can either drop one or both kids off, or hang out there, or have her visit at your house. I think it's best just to relax and enjoy some "unscheduled" time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I go back to work in 3 weeks and maternity leave was much easier than I expected. My girls are 17mo apart and my son is 5. I utilize daycare 1x sometimes 2x per week for a discounted rate because my provider was able to take on a temporary part time child during my leave. I use this time to clean the house, run errands, sometimes grab lunch with a friend. And my son still goes to his after school program but only 1x or 2x a week, and that seems to work out well, he still has a familiar routine but I get to spend a lot of time with him too. I will say I am very sad to see my maternity leave come to an end, I loved being home with my newborn but it was so nice to get a 2nd maternity leave with my toddler, she's at such a fun age I'm glad I got to be home for it! and to think just a few months ago I was stressing out about how I would handle maternity leave with 2u2 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"