Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Cloth Diapers with Disposable Inserts??

Hey ladies...

Wondering about cloth diapers.  I'm trying to make the decision about whether to go the cloth or disposable diaper route.... I would love to do cloth and I have heard about doing disposable inserts in the cloth diapers.  Do any of you ladies have any info about this??  I'm just afraid that I won't have the time or patience to deal with the cloth inserts.  Any information or advice would be much appreciated!

Re: Cloth Diapers with Disposable Inserts??

• Options

I'd do cloth or normal disposables.  You're not saving money or the world with the disposable inserts in cloth diapers...which is sort of the point of cloth!

From what I've heard those liners don't hold as much as a normal diaper so it is common to have to change the diapers every 1.5-2hrs, depending on the kid.  That adds up cost and time wise. 

Cloth does take time and energy but it really isn't as hard as it can sound.  I run an extra load of laundry every 2 days.  She has NEVER leaked or blown out of a cloth diaper.  She would blow out of a disposable anytime we had her in one. 

We use Mother-Ease one size diapers.  They are not fashionable...but rather functional.  They are awesome...and so easy to use and clean. 

• Options
    I preface this with the fact that we have only used disposable diapers, however have friends who did 98% cloth up until their LO was a 2 year old. I think in the very beginning with the meconim & how little sleep there'll be, you want to either use a service or disposables. That stuff was a challenge to get out of the clothing if/when it would come into contact with it.

Also, it is difficult to know LOs size initially (my baby was very narrow in the hips and there was some trial & error in the sizing disposables. Reading reviews of the cloth.and disposables helped me when I was considering sizing up or was unsure of how a particular diaper would fit ... my point is, which ever type of diaper you go with, I would only buy enough for the first week or two because you may find that the particular choice you made is too small/big. Then you can make an investment decision. Or you can go with the rental/trial option & see how it works for you.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We used g diapers for a while with DD. Liked them for when she was tiny, but they are more work and more expensive than regular disposables. Since DH does the laundry, he's made the decision this time around that we are going straight to disposables. ESP since we will now have 2 in diapers.
  • Options
    Like other PP have mentioned I'd choose one over the other.  As someone who exclusively used cloth that's going to be my suggestion, but I know it's not for everyone.  The disposable cloth inserts IMO aren't really meant to be used full time, more as a disposable option to those who do cloth when cloth isn't an option like when travelling.  The sposie inserts are going to cost you more than traditional disposables and as PP mentioned they aren't as effective so you're likely going to have to change more frequently.  Also, they are marketed as being flushable, but from what I've heard you don't really want to flush them as they have been known to cause plumbing issues and back ups....and unless you compost them they aren't much better for the environment than a regular disposable.
    photo 7ce353dd-36ff-42be-84c5-8548c1d4fa1cjpg
    BFP #1 11/28/09 ~ EDD 8/6/10 ~ DS Born 8/9/10
    BFP #2 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/8/14 ~ Natural MC 9/18/13 at 6 weeks, 6 days
    BFP#3 3/28/14 ~ EDD 12/7/14 ~ DD Born 11/21/14
    BFP#4 6/15/17 ~ EDD 2/20/18
  • Options
    Ladies, thank you so much for the feedback!  I really appreciate it all!!

I think I'm leaning towards starting with disposables for the first few months and then seeing if we can transition to cloth after.  We still don't know what our child care situation is going to be and that might effect our decision for later.  
  • Options
    Yeah, when LO is small, you can't really use the one size.  So use disposables and then perhaps get a couple BG one size at 3 months.  If you like, you can switch.  For us, we used cloth the first year, but then I got pregnant and I just can't deal with cleaning up diapers and laundry when I am throwing up and exhausted. Plus, we needed to change more often with cloth and since at least our LO has gotten extremely mobile and resistant, the more time I can get between changes, the better.
  • Options
    The cloth diaper board will give you a lot of insight as well :)
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"