Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Potty training dilemma

Need some advice.

First I need to say that I have learned the same lesson over and over: when they are ready, it's easy, whether that is self-feeding, weaning, transitioning to a bed, or potty training. Despite knowing this, I tried numerous times to potty train my DD to no avail, with months between attempts...and then suddenly, in the past two days, DD started using the potty herself, without me even having to remind her. Ta da! Two days, no diapers, just one accident -- and she was mortified at herself.

So that's great, but here's my dilemma. We are taking DD to the circus tomorrow, and that means about 5 hours or more away from the potty, including the drive. The issue is that she has not yet used a real toilet. She is not afraid of them per se, she loves flushing our toilets and throwing toilet paper in them, etc., but she's never actually sat on one, and the one time I tried today, she flat out refused.

So what do we do in terms of toileting tomorrow? My DH said we need to put her back in a diaper just for the day, but I am like 100% against that idea. I do not want to backtrack at this point.

Any suggestions?
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Potty training dilemma

• Options
    Bring a little potty in the back of your car.
    Also, if you can find them locally, get a Potette - a folding travel potty.  If you can't, carry a big bag and bring the little potty in it!  (Yes, I *have* done this.)
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies. I didn't know about the portables -- I might need to get one.

Well, we went to the circus, and I tried twice to get her to pee on the big toilets. She actually did sit on them (sideways) but wouldn't go. We got home about four hours later, and she told us as soon as we got inside that she needed to go, and went and used her potty.

So a good resolution, but I do need to get her comfy using the big potty. I guess that's the next step.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD still won't do the regular toilets.  (She's been potty trained for... 7 months now?)  She doesn't liek the sound of flushes, and they freak her out.  Just getting her into a bathroom has been a lot of work!  It's a bigger challenge for some kids than others.
    IMG_8355
  • Options
    I'd put the potty in your car and use a pull up (call them big girl pants). LO potty trained easily and we used pull ups occasionally during that time just to be safe from a mess.
  • Options
    DD still won't do the regular toilets.  (She's been potty trained for... 7 months now?)  She doesn't liek the sound of flushes, and they freak her out.  Just getting her into a bathroom has been a lot of work!  It's a bigger challenge for some kids than others.
    We have the opposite problem from most of you guys, which is that DD needs to investigate the bathrooms at every single place we go.  Even if she just peed 5 minutes ago, the second we walk into a new place, the first thing out of her mouth is "I have to go potty," and she starts looking for where it might be.  This is less of a problem than being scared of big toilets, I know, but no less annoying.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"