Secondary IF

First iui done

I had my first iui this morning. I just have a couple of questions.

1. My obgyn told me there is a 60% success rate. I thought it was more like 20%. What have you been told?

2. I had some bleeding after. Is that normal?

3. For the runners out there did you take a break for awhile?

4. The trigger gave me a lot of cramping. How long does that last?

Thanks for answering all of my silly questions.

Re: First iui done

• I do not have any experience here, but I wanted to wish you lots of luck and kup! Will you test? Beta? 

•  I haven't had an IUI, but I wanted to wish you good luck and a stress free TWW :)
    DD 12/1/2009
    TTC#2 Since May 2012
    Dx PCOS February 2013 on Metformin 1500 mg
    Met with RE October 2013, we've got a plan!
    Surprise BFP on "break cycle" 10/12/13. EDD 6/17/14.
    MMC discovered 11/25/13 at 10 weeks. D&C 11/27/13.
    BFP 2/8/14 Beta#1: 176, Prog 18! Beta#2:335, Prog, 19.5!
    EDD 10/16/2014

• Loading the player...
  • GOOD LUCK!!! 

1. My obgyn told me there is a 60% success rate. I thought it was more like 20%. What have you been told? Well tell him to pass whatever it is he is smoking over this way! LOL He/She is just saying that because they are an OB and not a RE, so maybe they believe in the power of unicorns. In the best situations (stellar sperm samples) 

Unmedicated or Clomid IUI has about a 10-20% success rate, and that's if you and your partner are both healthy with no IF DX 

Medicated with injects (stims and a trigger) you could potentially get up in the high 30% even 40% range, but this is because you would typically have a lot more follies to work with. 

The national success rate for IVF is only in the 40% range, and there is no possible way any IUI can be more successful (overall) than that. My OB believed all I would need was an IUI too, so I think OBs think IUIs are magical lol. 

2. I had some bleeding after. Is that normal? Was it actual bleeding or spotting? Spotting can be normal, sometimes they have to dilate your cervix a bit to get the catheter in. 

3. For the runners out there did you take a break for awhile? Not necessary. 

4. The trigger gave me a lot of cramping. How long does that last? Maybe a couple days, how many follies did you have? 

Thanks for answering all of my silly questions.

FX for you! 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Good luck!
    January 2007- Stop BCP! Let's DO this!
    June 2010- MFI. BS. IVF! Ectopic. BS. image

November 2010- FAILED FET! BS!
    January 2011- BFP FET! TWINS!
    February 2011- lost twin. BS. image

SEPTEMBER 2011- DD Born! Most awesome girl in the world!

November 2013- FAILED FET! BS! (screw you November FETs)
    April Fresh Cycle, FAILED. Frozen embryos frozen for future FETs.
    FROZEN CYCLE JUNE! BFP
    BABY BOY VINCENT!

We can't wait to meet you!
    Conception:image
    imageimage Potato Love!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Good luck!

• I've only done 1 IUI, my 2nd was cancelled due to weather, so I don't have a ton of experience to draw upon . . . 

1. I wasn't given success rates and I didn't ask. 

2. I think I had a tiny bit, like the kind that sometimes happens after a pap smear.

3. I run about 20 miles a week. My RE assured me there was no reason to stop, even on the day of the IUI. 

4. I've done 3 medicated cycles, so I've had 3 trigger shots. I haven't experienced cramping from them, however I did have cramping for a day or so after the IUI.

HTH and good luck!
    BFP: 5/10/14 after 14 cycles of trying!
    EDD: 1/21/15
    5/12 1st beta: 28
    5/14 2nd beta: 87.5
    5/23: 3rd beta: 4000.6 + saw gestational sac and yolk sac
    5/30: 4th beta: 17,852 + saw fetal pole and heard heartbeat! 127 BPM!
  • Thanks! We did 50 clomid and trigger. I had one large follicle and DH's count was 11 million which is stellar for him. It used was 0 so it's proof vitamins help. I thought 60 was a little agressive! We are starting with the obgyn because they are much cheaper. We have an RE we love so we will move onto her if this doesn't work. But $600 versus $20k was worth the chance to me!
  • I was told it was a 12-15 % success rate. I've heard it's higher with injects. Anyway- good luck!!

Me: 27 DH: 33
    Married 6 years
    Conceived DS after 4 years of MFI

TTC # 2 (not trying,not preventing ever)
    May 2013 - August 2013 Timed Intercourse = BFN
    September 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs=BFN
    October 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs, and "warming foods" = BFP
    Beta #1 19, Beta #2 18 Progesterone 4.6 Miscarried 11/9/13
    November 2013 - Benched, waiting for first post-loss AF.
    No longer benched per New RE/OB!
    Jan. 15 2014 - BFP. HCG 3900 - Ectopic :( 
    Jan. 16 2014 Left tube removed and D&C
    March 2, 2014 First AF

• Hi and good luck! I have had two IUI, and our third with clomid is coming soon, but our RE says 10-20%each cycle. I had a small amt of spotting because the first time he had to clamp and manipulate my cervix as I had so much cm he needed assistance passing the cath. The second cycle he used a dif cath and it passed easier and no blood. He says I can resume normal activity but I did not run either day ofs but then ran the following days on cycle one, cycle two I just walked on an incline over the first week following. Best of luck
  • I have zero experience with IUI, but wanted to say GOOD LUCK!  From everything I've been told, there isn't any evidence that refraining from your normal activities helps with the success. 
    Trying for #2 with IVF after damage done in a D&C left me with one functioning (but too scarred) ovary and tube to get pregnant safely without assistance. It's a really, really long story, but that is the gist of it.  We have one daughter (whose c-section birth started this roller coaster) born in 2012 after a miscarriage in 2011. 
    Failed 1st attempt at IVF (Fresh ET day 3, 1 frozen embryo saved) in December 2013.  
    Failed 2nd attempt at IVF (Fresh ET day 5, 2 frozen embryos saved) in February 2014.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"