Third-Party Reproduction
Options

TTM about the Donor Embryo situation in Canada/Ontario?

I'm curious if anyone else is working through this.   I'm pretty familiar with the Assisted Human Reproduction Act, and have heard about some of the agencies who have brokered egg donor and surrogacy deals (and the one that just got raided)....  but I am curious about whether any of you have navigated the process of donating, or receiving donated embryos, in Canada - or even more specifically, Ontario.

Our clinic only allows 3 options if you don't use your embryos:  Destroy them, Donate them to Research, or Donate them anonymously.    I also have a feeling that there is a fairly hefty "fee" associated with receiving anonymous embryos through them -- but also know that the waiting lists are so long, and so few embryos are donated that way that it's basically hopeless in our area.

So I'm thinking now about known donations.  And interested in knowing more.   My partner and I are a queer couple - which I assume excludes us pretty much immediately from most of the faith-based embryo "adoption" programs in the US, and the single one that's starting up here in Ontario.    We haven't really talked about it (we are still finishing up a disappointing IVF cycle) ---- but I am pretty sure that we would be totally open, and would probably prefer, an "open" type situation where we knew the donating family or other recipients of the donor embryos/eggs, so that our children could meet any donor siblings eventually.

I don't even know where one might start with that, or what the rules/expectations are legally, financially, etc....    The AHR-act forbids transfer of money, but allows a gift, but AFAIK many clinic policies may add additional roadblocks....  

What's the landscape?  Anyone been there in Canada?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
queer couple - 32 (me) & 33 (my love) years old - donor sperm,

Our IF/TTC journey since Nov 2012.

Me: dx of DOR in Nov. 2012. Low AMH, AFC - 6, Normal FSH, SS-A (RO) Antibodies (Autoimmune issues), tubes clear, Sono (November 2013) NORMAL! <p>

7 IUI's - December 2012-September 2013.  Medicated, Injected, Triggered.... all BFN.

My Love:  (the amazing @Healz413)
Normal AMH & FSH, AFC ~27, blocked tube dx'd via HSG in 2012.   Hydrosalpinx & ovarian cyst dx'd in May 2013.
dx of Stage IV Endo & bilateral salpinectomy in June 2013.  

Partner IVF#1a- December 2013 - H's eggs, my Ute - CANCELLED due to low response
Partner IVF #1b - February 2014 - H's eggs, my Ute - ER February 4 (10 retrieved, 3 fertilized), Transfer Feb 7 of one Grade 1 and one Grade 2 day 3 embryos.  1 - Day 3, Grade 1 frosty saved.   BFP - 6dp3dt via FRER, Beta #1 - 110, Beta #2 175, Beta #3 - 348, Beta #4 - 2222!, Beta #5 - 4255.  Ultrasound (6w1d) - 2 heartbearts!  

We lost our beautiful Twin baby girls on June 18, 2014.  Tavin Sara and Casey Elizabeth were born at 21 weeks gestation and were absolutely beautiful, precious, amazing babies.  We miss our daughters every day and love them with all our hearts.

Re: TTM about the Donor Embryo situation in Canada/Ontario?

• Options

Hi there - while I don't know the specific answer to your question in Canada, but I know a lot about it in the US. Also, there is a secret facebook group I started that has something like 170+ members now. It's very active, and I'm pretty sure we have some Canadians there. If you are investigating using donor embryos, you're more than welcome to join! There are people using all kinds of ways to do donor embryos - agencies, clinics, and arranging them themselves. Yes, many are faith based, but I assure you that many are not. Perhaps you could join and ask there? If not, I can ask for you and report back. Just let me know!

************ Signature/Ticker Warning ************
    Me (32) DH (36) - Finding our way to baby #1
    Me: POF/DOR - AMH <0.16, heterozygous c677t MTHFR, insulin resistant and gluten intolerant
    DH: Severe MFI

12/2/11 - IUI #1- BFN 
    8/1/12 - IVF #1 - Zero response from max stims (600iu intramuscularly)

My ovaries are just for decoration

12/6/12 - Adopted five embryos that had been frozen for over ten years!
    2/11/13 - DEmbryo FET #1 Thawed four, sadly two didn't survive. Transferred two beautiful blasts. 
    2/16/13 - First BFP of my life @ 6dp5dt! EDD 10/30/13
    3/27/13 - After beta and u/s hell, no heartbeat ever detected. D&C at 9w1d.

6/5/13 - Adopted four new embryos that had been frozen for seven years!

9/12/13 - DEmbryo FET #2. Thawed and transferred two beautiful blasts
    9/17/13 - BFP @ 5dp6dt! EDD 05/31/14
    9/29/13 - m/c @ 5w1d. :(

11/19/13 - DEmbryo FET #3. Thawed and transferred one blast from each batch. Wow!
    11/23/13 - BFP @ 4dp6dt! EDD 8/7/13
    Beta #1 @ 13dp6dt - 522  Beta #2 @ 16dp6dt - 1373 
    6w5d ultrasound showed one perfect baby with a beautiful heartbeat of 134bpm!

Snowflake baby is a girl! 
    Our beautiful Snowflake girl arrived on July 22, 2014!   
    My embryo adoption blog: Wishing on a Snowflake

image      image 
  • Options
    Hi @Liz4Paws,  Thanks!  I think I'll wait and see how this cycle wraps up first, and then start the real research once we are through that process.   I don't want to put a bunch of questions out to that community before we are ready to really consider the answers.

@jalara48 - thanks for the ivf.ca tip!   I've glanced at it, but haven't really read.  My basic understanding is that if we do end up looking for donated embryos we will just have to put ourselves out there and see who replies huh?   I've heard that there can be quite a "black market" out there where some people will actually offer to sell you their extras for huge amounts of money (ie. more than the expense of continued storage, etc...) - and we're a bit leery of getting into such a situation, especially if we hope to develop a relationship with any donor relations to our children.  

very interesting.   Thank you both for weighing in.  

Me: dx of DOR in Nov. 2012. Low AMH, AFC - 6, Normal FSH, SS-A (RO) Antibodies (Autoimmune issues), tubes clear, Sono (November 2013) NORMAL! <p>

7 IUI's - December 2012-September 2013.  Medicated, Injected, Triggered.... all BFN.

Normal AMH & FSH, AFC ~27, blocked tube dx'd via HSG in 2012.   Hydrosalpinx & ovarian cyst dx'd in May 2013.

Partner IVF#1a- December 2013 - H's eggs, my Ute - CANCELLED due to low response
    Partner IVF #1b - February 2014 - H's eggs, my Ute - ER February 4 (10 retrieved, 3 fertilized), Transfer Feb 7 of one Grade 1 and one Grade 2 day 3 embryos.  1 - Day 3, Grade 1 frosty saved.   BFP - 6dp3dt via FRER, Beta #1 - 110, Beta #2 175, Beta #3 - 348, Beta #4 - 2222!, Beta #5 - 4255.  Ultrasound (6w1d) - 2 heartbearts!  

We lost our beautiful Twin baby girls on June 18, 2014.  Tavin Sara and Casey Elizabeth were born at 21 weeks gestation and were absolutely beautiful, precious, amazing babies.  We miss our daughters every day and love them with all our hearts.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    liz4pawsliz4paws member
    edited February 2014
    @Mananda - YGPM!

************ Signature/Ticker Warning ************
    Me (32) DH (36) - Finding our way to baby #1
    Me: POF/DOR - AMH <0.16, heterozygous c677t MTHFR, insulin resistant and gluten intolerant
    DH: Severe MFI

12/2/11 - IUI #1- BFN 
    8/1/12 - IVF #1 - Zero response from max stims (600iu intramuscularly)

My ovaries are just for decoration

12/6/12 - Adopted five embryos that had been frozen for over ten years!
    2/11/13 - DEmbryo FET #1 Thawed four, sadly two didn't survive. Transferred two beautiful blasts. 
    2/16/13 - First BFP of my life @ 6dp5dt! EDD 10/30/13
    3/27/13 - After beta and u/s hell, no heartbeat ever detected. D&C at 9w1d.

6/5/13 - Adopted four new embryos that had been frozen for seven years!

9/12/13 - DEmbryo FET #2. Thawed and transferred two beautiful blasts
    9/17/13 - BFP @ 5dp6dt! EDD 05/31/14
    9/29/13 - m/c @ 5w1d. :(

11/19/13 - DEmbryo FET #3. Thawed and transferred one blast from each batch. Wow!
    11/23/13 - BFP @ 4dp6dt! EDD 8/7/13
    Beta #1 @ 13dp6dt - 522  Beta #2 @ 16dp6dt - 1373 
    6w5d ultrasound showed one perfect baby with a beautiful heartbeat of 134bpm!

Snowflake baby is a girl! 
    Our beautiful Snowflake girl arrived on July 22, 2014!   
    My embryo adoption blog: Wishing on a Snowflake

image      image 
  • Options
    @Liz4paws - replied! And thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"