I called my obgyn's office yesterday morning explaining the situation and how to get MTX. I got a call back to go directly to ER as my doc had given my name at the front desk. She was going to be there doing surgery all day. Just for background, I moved an hour away last summer but haven't gotten around to changing OB-gyn's closer to home. DH's schedule was packed yesterday and we figured I could handle a shot by myself. I drove an hour to the hospital and arrived at 11am. I explained that I really didn't want MTX without another u/s as the last one was done last week when beta was only 515 so of course they couldn't see anything then. Plus it was a local RE's office where I am not a patient---she spent 20 seconds looking before declaring she couldn't see anything. They took more blood for HCG, liver enzymes and CBC. I was then sent to the waiting room. Of course everyone has big bellies and can't stop rubbing them. This is "Women and Infants Hospital" afterall. A bad place for an IFer. At 1pm, a nice nurse told me they had emergencies so it would be a while. She told me to go do my mammogram and breast u/s which was booked at the same hospital at 2pm. She said not to check out, just go and come back; no one would be the wiser.
I checked in at radiology and got my 2nd wristband of the day. I got the mamm quickly and it was declared negative. They automatically still do a breast u/s when there's a palpable lump felt. The tech told me she could also feel it which made me feel better, less crazy. The u/s was clear. They said it was just really thick, dense tissue at that one spot. Maybe thicker due to the HCG but there's nothing wrong. Phew. Relief on that part.
I got back to the ER. It's now 2:45. At 3:45, I asked if I was called while next door. I was afraid "nice nurse" got off at 3pm or was wrong for telling me to leave. But someone found her and she came out. I hadn't been called. She said it was just crazy that day and apologized. HCG is now 950 something. They will send me for an u/s soon.
Finally I am sent for u/s at 5pm. Tech won't tell me anything. When she asked why I was there, I said I really didn't want MTX if this was really a uterine pregnancy. I said I knew it wasn't viable. She snapped back "well if you know that why don't you just take the drug". I snapped back "because I don't want a cancer drug if I don't need it. They can fix this another way." Tired of people wanting to dismiss me and take the easy way out instead of actually treating me. I was sent back to the waiting room.
I was brought to a room at 5:40pm. A nice OB-gyn came in around 6 to get some more info. We went thru the various betas and explained that I knew it wasn't viable. I should have been 7w1d so a beta under 1000 wasn't cutting it..we'd have a hb if it was normal. . He said they "think" they can see a tiny sac in the uterus so MTX isn't needed. He said it wouldn't be "wrong" to give it but we may have other options. He tells me about doing a "manual vacuum aspiration"-MVA. It's usually done with heavy narcotics or anesthesia but since I am here alone, I can't have that. He can give me a shot of toradol (Motrin) and they use lidocaine to numb cervix. Basically they suck out the contents of the uterus and hope that the sac comes out. It's what they do for early abortions... He said he wouldn't offer it to a lot of people but thinks I can handle it. He said we may be able to test the contents. I would love that info if possible so I agreed.
More emergencies come so I keep getting pushed back. I'm a stable miscarriage and there are pregnant emergencies. Ironic and torturous. They eventually do the procedure at 11pm. 12 hours after I arrived. It was very painful. Very. There were 3 doctors doing it plus the nurse. They had to to the extraction part 3 times as they weren't getting much out. I had already bled 1.5 weeks ago and lining was thin so that made sense that not much would come out. Hopefully they got it. It will be tested and am need a repeat beta 24 hrs after procedure..Im not sure how that will work since it would be 11pm tonight...
So bad idea going solo as I couldn't have drugs and had to do it all alone. My uterus was cramping badly. They released me at midnight. I have to say the nurses were so kind and my doctor truly felt bad for me. At one point he said he didn't want to make the determination that it wasn't a viable pregnancy since it was wanted so much. I told him that I knew it wasn't viable 2 weeks ago and that it was ok to "give up" on it.
Hopefully the beta will now drop and this will be behind me. Beta should drop 20% within 24 hrs. I won't opt for that procedure ever again w/out drugs.
As for future plans, I canceled my phone call with RBA yesterday since I was going to the ER. The RE might call me today-Atlanta has a crazy storm again so they are on limited staff etc. Some of you have asked about the use of DS for the guarantee program. Yes, we can use it but DH just isn't interested in using it.. I can't force him to so it is what it is. He never wanted to use DE either but relented on that. In my heart I am letting go of the hope that this will ever work. As for right now, I still need to transfer 2 blah-quality 6 day blasts next. They will thaw both. When thst fails, then I need to pick new donor..I can request a partial refund (it's like 80%) after that donor if no pregnancy. I also have a surgical consultation for 3/11 with my gyn oncologist to remove my tubes/ovaries due to my BRCA gene. I feel like I am playing with fire letting them stay in this long. Once those are removed, I need 6 weeks to heal before we can start another transfer cycle. haven't decided yet--I may transfer the 2 frosties and then do the surgery just to speed it all up. I want this all to be over by summertime if possible. The TTC Chapter will be 4 yrs at that point and that's enough.
TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
DE IVF #3 1/14 ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d
DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!
K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days