Baby Names

JEW initials??

So we just realized that the initials for our girl name would be JEW - DH brought this to my attention when we were discussing it the other night.  This normally wouldn't bother me, but DH actually is Jewish (I'm not), so it's kinda weird.  His friends also tease him and make Jewish jokes - they're harmless and aren't being malicious, but it does get annoying sometimes and I can see this adding fuel to the fire.  The thing is that I'm now completely in LOVE with this name if we have a girl.  First name is after my deceased sister and middle name is my middle name as well as a family name.  What would you do??
Me 31 ~ DH 30
IVF/FET #1 - BFP!!
<3 CJW 6/15/2014 <3
DX - PCOS 2004
FET #2 - scheduled for 11/24/15

Re: JEW initials??

• Hmmm...this is a tough one. What is the name (if you don't mind me asking)?

I'm really big on monogramming, so it would bother me a little. Also, since your DH is Jewish, it would make me even more hesitant to use it. 

On the other hand, it sounds like you're really in love with the name, and it's not like it spells out an obscene word. I think this would be a matter of personal preference. If you think you will rarely use her full initials or monogram things, then I don't think it's a big deal and I'm sure nobody will even notice. I wouldn't give up a name with meaning for the sake of initials. 
    Me: 27   DH: 28
    Married: November 2015
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • wolfhaileywolfhailey member
    edited February 2014
    You could switch the names around? So the initials will be EJW instead.
  • You could switch the names around? So the initials will be EJW instead.

The JEW initial wouldn't bother me at all.  If you're still worried I second switching the names to get EJW.

our one and only *

DS - 2011

I'm really big on monogramming, so it would bother me a little. Also, since your DH is Jewish, it would make me even more hesitant to use it. 

On the other hand, it sounds like you're really in love with the name, and it's not like it spells out an obscene word. I think this would be a matter of personal preference. If you think you will rarely use her full initials or monogram things, then I don't think it's a big deal and I'm sure nobody will even notice. I wouldn't give up a name with meaning for the sake of initials. 
    Julianne Elizabeth W*****  But to PPs points, and I LOVE monogramming everything, it would be J W E in a formal monogram.  I'm just thinking of my own initials and when I monogram, I do it formally with the W in the middle.  The only time I do it in order FN MN LN is when I'm initialing a legal document or something for work, but really how often does happen and who really sees that?

And I do love the name, I fall more in love with it everyday!! (God help me if I don't have a girl after all of this debate lol)
    Me 31 ~ DH 30
    IVF/FET #1 - BFP!!
    <3 CJW 6/15/2014 <3
    DX - PCOS 2004
  • You must use this name. It's lovely. Thanks.
  • callalilly323 ;-)  I also asked my mom her thoughts, and she's on board.
    Me 31 ~ DH 30
    IVF/FET #1 - BFP!!
    <3 CJW 6/15/2014 <3
    DX - PCOS 2004
  • It's a lovely name, and I'm sure it will (mostly) not be an issue.

Having said that, I admit that it might give me a little pause, but only because we use initials a lot at work.  An email address here might be [email protected], which isn't the worst thing, but it's good that you're aware. 

As for monogramming, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I personally would choose something else. I couldn't use it knowing those would be her initials. At some point some mean kid in school is going to figure it out and tease her about it, not to mention that it's potentially offensive to Jewish people. 
    image   image

• Lulu80301 said:
    I personally would choose something else. I couldn't use it knowing those would be her initials. At some point some mean kid in school is going to figure it out and tease her about it, not to mention that it's potentially offensive to Jewish people. 

I am not sure how this would be offensive to Jewish people or why it would cause teasing?  Genuinely curious-- no snark intended.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Lulu80301 said:
    I personally would choose something else. I couldn't use it knowing those would be her initials. At some point some mean kid in school is going to figure it out and tease her about it, not to mention that it's potentially offensive to Jewish people. 

I am not sure how this would be offensive to Jewish people or why it would cause teasing?  Genuinely curious-- no snark intended.
    I could see the teasing by other stupid kids, not that it's OK, but I get that.  But I agree that I don't see how it would be offensive to Jewish people.....
    Me 31 ~ DH 30
    IVF/FET #1 - BFP!!
    <3 CJW 6/15/2014 <3
    DX - PCOS 2004
  • Lulu80301 said:
    I totally disagree. First off, this would not be offensive to Jewish people -- that's just silly. Secondly, I didn't know the middle names of half the people I went to elementary school with.

The only thing you would have to worry about would be the monogram thing, and as pps mentioned, it would be JWE. USE IT.
  • You could switch the names around? So the initials will be EJW instead.

yes, this..........or add another middle name, a short one like Ann or Marie or Grace
  • @Joy2611 said:
    I don't get how in the world this is offensive to Jewish people.  I also don't see how in the world this would lead to teasing.  "You're initials spell Jew and you're Jewish!!  Nah nah nah!"

Just - what?

People overthink the teasing aspect entirely too much.  Kids tease.  It happens.  And if this girl is teased for initials being JEW, then seriously - she has a charmed life. 
    This made me actually LOL, thank you! :-)
    Me 31 ~ DH 30
    IVF/FET #1 - BFP!!
    <3 CJW 6/15/2014 <3
    DX - PCOS 2004
  • I would not...
    "Bedo" - Apr. 16, '13

#2 - EDD Nov.
    15, '14
    **RATE A NAME HERE!**

Julianne Elizabeth W*****  But to PPs points, and I LOVE monogramming everything, it would be J W E in a formal monogram.  I'm just thinking of my own initials and when I monogram, I do it formally with the W in the middle.  The only time I do it in order FN MN LN is when I'm initialing a legal document or something for work, but really how often does happen and who really sees that?

And I do love the name, I fall more in love with it everyday!! (God help me if I don't have a girl after all of this debate lol)
    I would go for it, no big deal.
    However, I initial all of my reagents at work and everyone knows everyone else's initials.  Just be sure if your daughter works in a lab, she skips the middle initial when labeling her stuff, lol.
  • I would use it and tell his friends to stop being a-holes. I don't get why it's cool to tease someone about their religion/culture.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Im a lurker, but a Jewish and live in metro NYC so among a lot of Jews and I would be fine with it. Honestly I think it would come into play more as an adult then as a kid-I don't think I ever used my middle initial as a kid, and certainly had no clue what other people's middle names were!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Add a second middle name. Problem solved. 
    “On the Road that I have taken, one day walking I awaken, amazed to see where I've come, where I'm going, where I'm from.” ― Dean Koontz, The Book Of Counted Sorrows

Baby Ansan 1-21-13
    Stephanie 5-23-97
    3rd baby due 5-5-14
  • It would make me second guess my name choice too but ultimately I think it's fine.  We use initials a ton at work too and even call people by their initials sometimes.  Especially if it spells a word, like CAB.  But we are adults so teasing is less of a concern.  Also so many women change their names when they get married they may not be her initials her whole life.   She could always go by JW if she needed to.

IF, 5 losses, 1 son, 1 on the way.
    fall in love with someone Pictures Images and Photos  photo turtlejpg

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Jolaine83Jolaine83 member
    edited February 2014
    If it were a boy, that would affect my decision some too because that will likely be his name/initials forever.  However, a girl may very well get married and take her husband's name.  Which would change this entirely.  So, if it's going to be in a work environment where this would be most concerning, she could be married with a new name for that even.

ETA: I do heavily think of initials when naming, especially since our last name starts with an 'S'.  Too many possible issues. lol  Especially since I was considering Aaron or Alexander for a boys name, using my dad's first name Scott as the middle.  I don't think any child should have to pull of ASS as their initials. 

That being said, when I do look at initial combos being an issue, I think in as kids in school.  I just don't think it would be as easily used to make fun of a kid as other potential combos could.  Adults should be grown up to handle it, even if they are emailing someone at [email protected]
    Lucas Arlo - 2/26/10, Cordelia Jane - 1/20/12 
    #3 is due 8/27/14

imageimage
  • I married into the initials JEW. My husband laughs about it once in awhile, but not a big deal. I typically just initial things with JW.
    j & m
    married July 2012
    My Angel - Amelia Hope - 3/13/14, 22 weeks
    BFP #2 - 6/10/14     Hoping for our rainbow baby    due February 2015

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"