Adoption

Foster Moms, question about timing

We got a call for a potential foster child. I am just beside myself with anticipation. The caseworker said he will contact me again as soon as he knows if they need me. The child is already with Catholic Charities as of yesterday. From the time you got the call saying they will be placing a child with you, how soon was the child brought to your home? And what time of day was it?
10/27/07

Re: Foster Moms, question about timing

• I don't have any first-hand experience, as we are going through the qualification process.  But, when we asked this during our intial orientation, the SW said that it could be immediate, like we get a call and get the child later that day or it could be a few days depending on the circumstances.

He also mentioned that calls could come almost any time of day or night.  However, mosly during reasonable waking hours.

• Thanks, @lorifromwi that'll be good to know as I don't think that was fully addressed in my meetings.  The grandmother stepped forward in this case. Kinda bummed. I got myself all worked up. Really should know better. :(
    10/27/07
  • Loading the player...
  • @Chele I'll be thinking of you.  I'm sure there will be lots of ups and downs in the process.  Hang in there!

• We got the call about 1030 Wednesday and got the girls at 1230 Monday.  But that was when they were released to from the NICU, so our experience is a bit different.

5/10 - Gideon 6/12 Warren
    4/11 Started adoption process for 2 siblings through DCF. 10/12 Found out we are licensed! 12/14 Brought 3 week old identical twin girls home from the hospital.  Could be at least until Summer 1015 til we know if they are forever ours
  • I used to work in foster care.  Sometimes parents had a few weeks notice and we could do some overnight visits and ease everyone in to the situation.  Other times it was the amount of time it took the placement worker to drive from where he/she was calling from to the foster home.  Once I showed up to see the foster kid who was already placed in the home and asked the mom if she could keep the kid I'd been carting around all day since her placement had imploded.  The foster mom said "yes".  As for the time of day we tried to keep it in business hours or just after the end of the work day if the foster parents worked.  But sometimes emergencies come up and it's later.   
  • In most cases we have had 24-48 hours notice. For our daughter (we have since adopted) we were given 24 hour notice to pick her up from the hospital. The same goes for our foster son. The most notice we've had was for one child that transitioned from another home and that was two weeks.
  • Sorry things didn't go the way you had hoped, but I thought I would share our experience anyway so you'll be prepared for next time.  We got the call on a Friday afternoon for a new born, went to the hospital to start bonding on Sunday morning (after mom was released on Saturday).  The hospital ended up discharging our daughter a couple of hours later.  We weren't expecting her to be released until Monday. 
  • I appreciate all the responses and hearing everyone's stories!
    10/27/07
  • We got a call about our foster son, said yes, and he showed up with his caseworker 30 minutes later!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • CheleChele member
    So as it turned out we had a little over an hour's notice and my girls came at almost midnight. They called it an emergency placement. So I guess you never know!
    10/27/07
  • @Chele - so you have LO's in the house now? 

• CheleChele member
    Yes, @lorifromwi! I have sisters ages 8 and 4. They're so sweet. But I confess, it's a lot of work!  So happy to have them, though.  :)
    10/27/07
  • @Chele...okay, mental break for me.  I've seen your other posts about that.  I need more coffee or wine or something!  I can't imagine being thrust into being parent to two girls that age!  Exciting and as you said...a lot of work. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"