Third-Party Reproduction

Questions about donating ** ticker warning and children mentioned **

Forgive my ignorance, but I wanted some honest feedback about donating embryos.

Background - After three heartbreaking years of trying, we were finally successful via IVF. I got pregnant with twins after implanting two embryos. We were left with three embryos in storage and our initial plan was to implant them in a couple years. However, my pregnancy was difficult with 13 weeks of bedrest - 9 of those in the hospital. My complications were all my body - short cervix and contractions. The babies were and are healthy and strong. We are so blessed that we made it to 36 weeks and they never went to the NICU. My OB has confirmed that these issues would happen in any subsequent pregnancies and does not recommend any more.

So, we have three little sweethearts that we want to give the chance at life. Ideally, we'd win the lottery and have a surrogate (or three) carry them, but it doesn't look like that is happening.

As a DE recipient, what concerns would you have with getting three DE and having the stipulation of no genetic testing prior to implantation and no terminations unless life threatening or terminal situations? I realize it's a lot to ask, but when we prayed for these babies, we committed to God that we would accept whatever he gave. We were on the more mature side at 39.5 years old and we had the frustrating "unknown" infertility diagnosis. Also, how closely would you want your ethnic background to match the embryos? Could I ask that they donate any unused embryos to others with the same stipulations afterwards?

I hope I don't offend anyone. We really struggle with the decision to donate, but when I see my kiddos, I think that there is no way that I could not give their siblings the same chance. We were blessed with an unlikely success and want to help others complete their family. Thanks in advance for reading my novel and any feedback you have.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Questions about donating ** ticker warning and children mentioned **

• ArgyleBrideArgyleBride member
    edited February 2014
    I am not a DEmbryo recipient, I'm an egg donor, but my understanding is that if you find someone yourself--for example, on MiraclesWaiting--you should be able to meet all of your criteria, and legally (I believe, again this is beyond my ken) stipulate that the same criteria be followed should they donate.  You could likely find someone with very similar values who would embrace your promise to God.  Frankly, the concerning part of your post is that you'd still like to use a surrogate--it would be devastating for an adopting family to have you pull out after offering, so be sure you are ready to follow through before you do.  You do not need to rush--some donated embryos have been frozen for a decade or longer when their parents decide it is time, and they are ready.

Finally, thank you for considering this route.  Your embryos would be recognized as the miracles they are.

Edit grammar
  • What a heartfelt post! I'm sure our resident Embryo Adoption mama @Liz4Paws will chime in.

@Argylbride is spot on, you can do a private adoption/donation and stipulate that the mom wear a yellow bow when she delivers :) - basically anything you'll both agree to. The good news is that there is always a "match" out there - someone who feels right and agrees with all your principles. Frankly a lot of EA folks are coming from a pro-life-ish perspective and so I think you'd have no trouble finding a fit. Liz's blog has loads of resources too.

You are awesome for doing this. We have lots of EA moms on this board who are blessed with children because of people like you! Bravo on making a tough choice, but you will change someone's life while honoring the siblings of your babies.
    Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Just wanted to say hi, 10-4!  I'm glad your twins are doing well!  I'm sure you'll find the right family to donate your embryos to if you decide to go that route.  It is a truly wonderful thing to do.
  • Hi and thank you for posting! I am so grateful for people like you because I am expecting our first baby thanks to selfless couples like yourself.

I'm a huge advocate for embryo adoption and have learned lots about it as I've traveled down the path myself. I put together a "where to get started" blog post which you can access by clicking on the embryo adoption badge in my siggy. It's geared more toward recipients, but the information can be useful to donors too!

I know you also mentioned that ideally you'd win the lottery and use a surrogate, and before going full force into EA, I'm not sure if you've considered other surrogate options. One of the board members here is using a surrogate overseas and it has some advantages over using one locally, namely cost. I'll let Jalara talk about that a bit more if you're interested!

But all in all, if/when you're ready to donate these precious snowflakes, you will most certainly find a match. If there's anything at all I can do to help answer questions, just let me know! We "adopted" two batches on our own without an agency/clinic and know most of the ins and outs of it. :) Good luck with whatever you decide!

************ Signature/Ticker Warning ************
    Me (32) DH (36) - Finding our way to baby #1
    Me: POF/DOR - AMH <0.16, heterozygous c677t MTHFR, insulin resistant and gluten intolerant
    DH: Severe MFI

12/2/11 - IUI #1- BFN 
    8/1/12 - IVF #1 - Zero response from max stims (600iu intramuscularly)

My ovaries are just for decoration

12/6/12 - Adopted five embryos that had been frozen for over ten years!
    2/11/13 - DEmbryo FET #1 Thawed four, sadly two didn't survive. Transferred two beautiful blasts. 
    2/16/13 - First BFP of my life @ 6dp5dt! EDD 10/30/13
    3/27/13 - After beta and u/s hell, no heartbeat ever detected. D&C at 9w1d.

6/5/13 - Adopted four new embryos that had been frozen for seven years!

9/12/13 - DEmbryo FET #2. Thawed and transferred two beautiful blasts
    9/17/13 - BFP @ 5dp6dt! EDD 05/31/14
    9/29/13 - m/c @ 5w1d. :(

11/19/13 - DEmbryo FET #3. Thawed and transferred one blast from each batch. Wow!
    11/23/13 - BFP @ 4dp6dt! EDD 8/7/13
    Beta #1 @ 13dp6dt - 522  Beta #2 @ 16dp6dt - 1373 
    6w5d ultrasound showed one perfect baby with a beautiful heartbeat of 134bpm!

Snowflake baby is a girl! 
    Our beautiful Snowflake girl arrived on July 22, 2014!   
    My embryo adoption blog: Wishing on a Snowflake

image      image 
  • Waving hello to 10-4!! Glad your all doing well. Everyone has given you great input! Thanks for thinking of donating and take care :) Good luck on your decision.

ME:46 MH:44 DE IVF 2014
    Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• Hello- I sent you a PM about some things to consider. 
    ***WARNING***

TTC Since 12/2008;  DH: 32, Azoospermia     me: 33, DX during IVF #4: Low AMH (Normal FSH) / SER due 
    to IVF Meds (causing failure to fertilize) Recent DX: Hashimoto's, Lupus Anticoagulant, White Blood Cell Disorder 
    High ANA, ATA, & APA, PAI-1 Heterozygous= blood clotting disorder; connective tissue disorder 
    IVF w/ ICSI #1 2/2011     IVF w/ ICSI #2 5/2011    IVF w/ ICSI #3 12/2012   *New RE* IVF w/ ICSI #4  5/2013
    IVF w/ ICSI #5 8/2013 (Natural Cycle- No drugs)- One follicle->one blast. CCS normal. FET 9/10- 6BB blast. m/c @ 5w
    IUI #1 12/23- BFN  IUI #2 Cancelled (ovulated during AF)  Prep:CoQ10 (300 mg); DHEA (25 mg); Melatonin (3 mg), Folgard 2.2, Metformin 500 2x, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Aspirin 81mg w/ calcium, B12,  Vit. D 4000 & Prenate Elite Daily; Cabergoline 1/2 pill 2x week-  Cycling: Estrace Priming; Prednisone 10mg, Lovenox 40mg 2x,  Femera & Menopur   
    IUI #2.1 6/30 & 7/1. 1st Beta: 90 (7/15); 2nd Beta: 226 (7/17); 3rd Beta: 766   EDD: 3/23/2015

**ALL WELCOME**                                    My Blog 

• Thanks ladies. We are sure we will donate as we don't have the resources to care for more kids to the level we would want.

I'm just trying to reconcile my heart with this. I would rather me be without them vs never having them be at all. But it still hurts. Seeing your stories helps me know that they will be loved.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"