December 2013 Moms
Options

@northport and any other runners

teacupkatteacupkat member
edited February 2014 in December 2013 Moms
Hey yo, so I wanted to ask you about running. I read you wanted to get back up to 50m/week, which is amazing. I just want to get back to my 30m/week. How are you getting back into running? Did you run a lot during your pregnancy? I stopped because I am chicken shit... My goal is a half marathon by October. I want to start tonight on the treadmill by easing back into a mile. I've had a stress fracture before so I know pushig myself too hard will end with injury. Any advice is welcome :) sorry to bother you, but you're pretty much the only runner I "know" who's been pregnant and getting back into running. Also, are you worried about your BM supply? Not sure what running would do to it. Once again, hate to ask you a bunch of questions. I really appreciate your feed back.

And if anyone else can chime in, please do.

Operation get rid of this belly has commenced for me. Hope LO can understand mom wants her alone time and to be healthy for her!

Thank you :)

Ps photo of adorable baby for your time.

Re: @northport and any other runners

• Options
    Hey!  I stopped running at 22 weeks because that's about when my belly popped out a bit and round ligament pain kicked up.

I can go about 5k right now without stopping, although TBH my mile time is two full minutes slower. I basically have to get my husband to kick my ass out the door to do it -- without his help with B and his motivation, I would never do it.  I'm still 13 lbs. up so I get tired SO QUICKLY and it hasn't been above 25 degrees since the second week of January and snows (no joke) every 4 days, so I'm only getting anywhere from 5-15k in a week. 

Buying new running kicks definitely helped rededicate my effort -- there's nothing like a fresh pair of sneakers staring you in the face.  I also bought a new (*ahem* bigger) pair of running tights and some kick ass tie-dye socks.  Set little goals.  Sign up for races now, starting with the big one in October, a 10k in the summer, a 5k in the spring -- when my H was trying to work up his mileage to 50k, having little goals set in stone (and with money committed) helped him do it.

When you get out there, don't beat yourself up.  Feel awesome for any amount of running you get done, no matter how little you feel like it is compared to what you were once able to do. The first time I went out, I was only able to run for 5 minutes without stopping.  I came home in tears. My H high-fived me, told me 5 minutes was amazing for doing no running in like 7 months. That's how you need to set your mind: OMG I JUST RAN FIVE FREAKING MINUTES WITHOUT STOPPING not I ONLY RAN FIVE LOUSY MINUTES BEFORE STOPPING.  Be awesomely kind to yourself, kinder than ever before, and you'll be up to 5k, then 10k, then 30k/week and you'll be ready for 13.1 before you know it.

KEEP ME UPDATED! <3
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • Options
    Oh, and re: affecting my supply.  I'm not actively trying to lose weight while I run, meaning I'm not really tinkering so much with my diet.  When I'm hungry, I'm eating.  I cut out meat as planned, but I'm not counting calories.  So far, no ill effects.
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am a runner, or I should say I used to be a runner. I haven't run since I got prego. Just got cleared so I'm planning to start back ASAP. Can't wait to a) shed the last of the baby weight, b) get rid of the jiggle in my thighs and butt, and c) feel that awesome endorphin rush that I miss so much. We should start a weekly check-in to motivate each other. I don't know about y'all but when I'm just starting back, I need the accountability to make myself get going...
  • Options
    I'm a more casual runner - I like 5ks, that's long enough for me. I stopped at 30 weeks due to SPD. Im doing 3 miles twice a week now, in addition to whatever running is programmed into my crossfit workout. I'm still feeling a lot of pelvic pressure and I'm really slow. Probably over a ten minute mile when I used to be around 8:45. Just start slow, easy pace and take walk breaks. Don't up your mileage too quickly and make sure you have good sneakers. Per the supply, exercise doesn't affect supply. See kellymom or James clapp's book. Hydration is the main issue. So drink up!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for responding! @northport6 so went to gym and could barely run a minute! Eep!! I pushed myself though to do one minute running, one minute walking. I only did five minutes of running total, but I did it gosh darn it! I text my old run buddy how sad I was, but she sent me a positive response to keep on and that I would get back to where I was soon. I used to run 6.5m/hr, I'm a shorty! I wish I ran faster... Tonight 5.5m/hr was HARD.
    I run in brooks adrenaline. I got a new pair a few days ago. I will be signing up for a race in October, so I have all the motivation. Plus, I bought myself new workout clothes to fit my current frame. Sigh.

Glad it won't really affect supply. I did read that on Kellymom, but I think I misinterpreted what was being said when I read how it might affect taste.

So much work to do with this body of mine! @kateva I don't know how you kept up with crossfit during your pregnancy, you have my admiration.

@yty0205 I stopped running around 6 weeks pregnant myself. I had been running 30 miles till I found out I was pregnant. I really hope to get back there! Also there is a fitness check in on Fridays(???). :)

• Options
    As long as you are not training like a crazy person, it will not affect your supply. Just keep it sane.

I ran throughout my pregnancy, but I was down to a mile or two at a time toward the end... and slooooow. I am easing back into it now, doing a mile or two at a time and taking it slow. I'll gradually increase my mileage, and when my runner's group starts back up next month, I'll figure out some goal races.

I did a half marathon the October after my first DD was born (she was also a December baby) so it's totally do-able. GL!
      norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    As long as you stay hydrated you should have nothing to worry about with your milk supply- there was some research done that women who ran during pregnancy and picked back up afterwards actually had more of an oversupply issue vs undersupply. 
    As far as mileage, just ease in comfortably at first and gauge how you're feeling, you're body will let you know if you're doing too much. Pre pregnancy I had been running on average upwards of 75 mpw peaking at 90 mpw during marathon training cycles. Treadmill running can actually be a little harder on your body as it alters your gait so if possible I wouldn't rely on it as being your sole form of mileage.
    9 weeks pp I ran the Houston half marathon and did perfectly fine even though I had minimal mileage after giving birth and I really surprised myself by doing as well as I did. Don't overthink it and just get out and get some relaxing running in =)
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (zHjr)
  • Options
    @herbanmom thanks for the advice :) I remember you mentioning the half! Glad it went well! I am so impressed by you ladies who have such great miles/week! I could only get up to 42 during marathon training!! And that was SO hard. I am certainly taking my time. Last nights treadmill run was a great indication of my need for slow and steady.

Right now it's icy outside my house, so running outdoors would be a bit hazardous but once it melts I'll push to run outside vs treadmill. It's funny you say that about the gait, because I noticed I couldn't find a rhyteme.

• Options
    I signed up for a half in May to get my butt moving. Training officially started yesterday. The most I've done is 4 miles, and I did that twice. I stopped running at 27 weeks during pregnancy, and stopped exercise all together at 32 weeks when I went on bed rest. It's been a challenge getting back into running! But slowly getting there. I don't notice a difference with my supply.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @kfiori1 you guys are making me feel like my 5 minutes of one minute running one minute walking are child's play! How are you running 4 miles already! I stopped working out at 30 weeks, I was just so friggin exhausted by then from work and daily functions.
    I found myself being great on the elliptical and not too too bad with weights but running? No way is that going to come quickly again! All that hard work of being able to run 20 miles in one day, gone. Lol so sad.

I wanted to sign up for a run in June but I just thought that way too early. I really am afraid of hurting myself. What kind of stretches do you guys do to prevent injury or what types of alternative workouts??
  • Options
    @HerbanMom- Can I ask what your 90 mpw were like?? Like how long(mileage wise) were each of your runs? How many days? The most I've done is a few 60 miles week during marathon training, and I feel like all I was doing was running. lol
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    HerbanMomHerbanMom member
    edited February 2014
    teacupkat said:
    @herbanmom thanks for the advice :) I remember you mentioning the half! Glad it went well! I am so impressed by you ladies who have such great miles/week! I could only get up to 42 during marathon training!! And that was SO hard. I am certainly taking my time. Last nights treadmill run was a great indication of my need for slow and steady. Right now it's icy outside my house, so running outdoors would be a bit hazardous but once it melts I'll push to run outside vs treadmill. It's funny you say that about the gait, because I noticed I couldn't find a rhyteme.
    Part of that also comes from just having a baby :) everything moved around AND you got used to walking a bit different while pregnant so it can take a bit for everything to adjust. 

I'm not totally against treadmill running, especially when the weather is rough out and you're atleast getting miles in. Alot of folks just don't realize you can't do most training miles on a treadmill and then hop into a road race with a smooth, injury-free race due to so many different variables. But it sounds like you're doing great! Keep it up and you'll be back to normal in no time!

Lilypie - (zHjr)
  • Options
    HerbanMomHerbanMom member
    edited February 2014
    KFiori1 said:
    @HerbanMom- Can I ask what your 90 mpw were like?? Like how long(mileage wise) were each of your runs? How many days? The most I've done is a few 60 miles week during marathon training, and I feel like all I was doing was running. lol
    Typically 2 long runs/ week on Wednesday and Sunday mornings, you have to try to keep them spread apart to recover- those were anywhere from 15 miles to 21 miles and I would follow up in the evening with a 3-4 mile run to help my body with running with fatigued legs and it was great for recovery (those miles were generally pretty slow- for comparison the AM long would be about an 8:30-9 min/mile pace while the recovery miles could be 9:30-10 min/mile). 

The remainder of the week were all PM runs so I would just try to knock out as many miles as I could before dark, some were tempo/pace runs from 5-8 miles others were just plain ol' I'm out there running and dragging my ass through 5 miles and some days I would spring out 10 miles. I ran 7 days/week, rarely ever taking a day off unless I was coming into a race... and even still I would probably run a few miles the night before to stay lose. I have a problem though, haha, I love the endorphin rush and all those happy hormones you get from running so I hate stopping.

Currently, my mileage looks NOTHING like this... I've run a total of probably 10 miles since the half a few weeks ago due to lack of time, the kids (and dog) have been rotating sickness for 2 1/2 weeks and I'm just to damn tired but I feel a huge since of guilt everytime I walk past my Bob stroller in the garage, haha... so I just look away from it and pretend it's not there. Hoping to be back to a more proper training schedule by March.

edited: my grammar blows... it's too early
    Lilypie - (zHjr)
  • Options
    teacupkat said:
    @kfiori1 you guys are making me feel like my 5 minutes of one minute running one minute walking are child's play! How are you running 4 miles already! I stopped working out at 30 weeks, I was just so friggin exhausted by then from work and daily functions. I found myself being great on the elliptical and not too too bad with weights but running? No way is that going to come quickly again! All that hard work of being able to run 20 miles in one day, gone. Lol so sad. I wanted to sign up for a run in June but I just thought that way too early. I really am afraid of hurting myself. What kind of stretches do you guys do to prevent injury or what types of alternative workouts??
    I don't stretch unless it's 6+ miles. Bad, I know! Right now I am only running for cardio. I am having a hard time with finding the time to work out, so when I get the time I devote it to running. I am also running waaaay slow (for me) right now so a simple 3 miler takes up way too much time haha I've been doing tabata workouts at home for arms, legs, and abs. Some day I'll get back into lifting!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"