November 2012 Moms

last night

Bedtime at 8:30 - we were a bit behind schedule - but she also wouldn't eat, so bottle and bed....except that last step devolved into 2 bottles, running around and a meltdown that lasted until midnight. Full fledged, world is terrible, banging her head on the floor and wall, unstoppable meltdown. Refused food, water, cuddles. Wouldn't respond to "this". Was even screaming with her eyes closed in the carrier. Our neighbours started bangining on the walls and ceiling around 11 pm.....promptly me to yell out "She is 14 months old. Like we are all standing around keep this frantic baby up to inconvenience you. Grow the f#$% up".

Not my proudest moment.

A little after midnight, she had been crying and screaming for so long that she was getting dehydrated. I gave her a shot of advil, shoved a bottle in her mouth and she drank it and passed out. 

Around 6 she started stirring and then bolted upright, grabbed onto the end of the crib and started banging her head on the railing - hysterical. She basically passed out mid-scream and woke up screaming. 45 minutes of screaming until I popped a piece of raspberry in her mouth and she slowly reconsidered her position. We shoveled whatever she would eat into her and she basically held up for the rest of today no problem.

It's like colic all over again. We went through 9 weeks of 13+ hours of frantic crying when she was first born. I thought we all paid our dues on this particular front. Doesn't seem fair that she is this frantic and we are this helpless.

I managed to stop her crying briefly by crawling into her pop up tent, which made her curious....but she just crawled into the tent and started screaming hysterically and throwing things in there too.

We are trying to amp up the number of ASL signs we teach her in hopes that a new way to communicate will help. She only uses the ones she knows occasionally, and often she just signs when she hears us say the word (She knows "more", and "hungry" very well. We've taught her "poop", which she never uses but just laughs at, "milk" and "hurt/pain". I haven't seen her use the last two yet. If I ask her "point to where it hurts" she invariably grabs her cheeks). Anyway, can't hurt to try.

Anyone have a meltdown story they want to share?

Re: last night

• I'm so sorry. It is so hard. Watching V have a tantrum is torture. I hate this headbanging stage.

I have no advice as we are looking for what works too. Just hugs of support .
    IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So sorry you are going through this :(

We had a 3am frantic hysterical wake up, but quickly discovered the cause was a poopy diaper and terrible bum rash.  Her whole butt looked like it was sun burned and her lil labia too :( used a lukewarm washcloth to clean her up b/c the wipes made her scream....

No citrus, beans or tomatoes this week.... we need to determine what is giving her this baboon butt

Hope your LO finds a way to tell you whats up.... I hate not being able to communicate better

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Loading the player...
  • We only have meltdowns and really late bedtimes it seems, when one or both of DH and I need to be up for work extra early.

So, like tonight.
    DH has to be up at 3am. DS was exhausted, fell asleep at 9 on daddy. Lay him in his crib, screaming ensued. Asleep again just before midnight.

Last time was when I needed to be up at 3am.

I just hope it doesn't happen much after the new LO arrives. (Actually, I hope it doesn't happen at all)

I hope your LO just had an off day/night and gets back to normal.
  • I've had some similar meltdowns in the past few days, I do think that sometimes it's a communication issue - they really want something or not to do something and get incredibly frustrated that we don't understand. From then it devolves into hysterics. Sometimes it works with my LO to just sit in the dark and talk to her quietly til she calms down.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. And screw those neighbors too. 
  • hang in there!  hopefully it was an isolated incident

• Hey guys - I'm just checking back in after a few days of craziness. We are in a new location and have book an appointment for the new pedi for next week, so I'll address it then. It hadn't actually occurred to me to speak to  a doctor about it, but I'm thinking you guys are right.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"