April 2014 Moms
Options

Clothing?

I had my shower last Sunday and got almost everything we registered for, which is amazing, but got almost no clothes (3 dresses and one onesie) since we didn't register for any. DH was making me wait until after the shower to buy clothes and now that we know we have to buy clothes he seems to think I shouldn't be buying much since babies grow quickly.

So far, I've bought about 10 0-3 months onesies and 3 newborn pyjamas. He thinks it's too much but I worry it's not enough since babies may have blowouts and have to change clothes more than once a day.

STMs how much clothing do I need and of what kind of outfits? FTMs how much have you bought so far?

Re: Clothing?

• Options
    AcaAwkwardAcaAwkward member
    edited February 2014
    Kinda depends on how often you want to do wash. I really like the zip-up PJs and gowns for the majority of the time when baby is super tiny. For the 0-3 mo range, I probably have 5 gowns and 8 zip-up PJs, plus some onesie / pant / singlet combos.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Options
    It's better to have a few extra IMO, I got very behind on laundry in those first hectic weeks. We had to change clothes often, especially with my boy because he'd pee all over himself AND us when we'd change him! And my daughter spit up very five minutes!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you have a spitter.. I was changing outfits multiple times a day. I agree the gowns and zip up Jammie's are awesome and when they are little you can't have enough of them in my opinion.
  • Options
    Yah, I would get more. Plan on 3 changes a day and then decide how often you want to do laundry. I recommend onesies that snap down the side (h&m has them) and/or sleepers that zip. Babies don't love having a onesie yanked over their heads and the zippers are such easy access for changing out those blow outs.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had to change multiple times a day, not usually because of diaper leaks, but because of spitting up.
  • Options
    The guideline my sisters and SILs gave me was at least 20 outfits for each size and to skip newborn sized things.
  • Options
    I would get a lot more sleepers and rompers than anything. If your more into onesies than dresses then get as many of those as you want in 0-3, NB and just get a few pairs of pants.
  • Options
    I'm a FTM. My mom flipped when she saw everything I purchased. My son's 4-drawer dresser is already full, and his closet is at capacity. My husband has gotten him 5 pairs of shoes already. Evidently, this is too much! (According to my mom, anyway.) I heard that babies often go through 3 outfits per day, so I would need 21 outfits per week to keep with my once per week laundry schedule. .... To be fair, though, I did purchase clothes all the way up to 12 months. They're not all the same size.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    It's a BOY!!! Can't wait to meet Miles Garrett! 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    LittleLady77LittleLady77 member
    edited February 2014
    I have 30ish NB outfits (gowns, pjs, onesies and a few outfits) and probably 50 pieces in the 0-3 months size. The vast majority are hand me downs but I really don't want to be clothes shopping with a newborn. If your concerned about it I would buy a bunch and just leave the tags on and keep the receipt. You can return if you don't use.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    consignment shops, mom to mom sales, clearance bins, etc. are totally the way to go for clothes!  say no to paying full price until you know 1) how big your kiddo is going to be at birth and 2) how quickly they seem to grow out of things.  i had a friend with a kid in 0-3 mo clothes for 6 months, and another whose kid went from 0-3 to 3-6 by 4 weeks of age!  he's still a chunky kid and at 9 months old he's rocking clothes anywhere from 12 to 18mo.
    ya just never know. ;)

BFP #1 May 20, 2013   
    MC June 27, 2013   BFP #2 August 2, 2013   Baby Boy born 4/25/14 (3 weeks overdue!)
    April 14 August Siggy Challenge- "This time last year.."
  • Options
    STM here - I would buy a few more things if I were you - some side-snap/kimono-style shirts, maybe a few more onesies (can be just the plain white ones - they are inexpensive), a couple of sleepers and infant gowns. And make sure you have little socks and mittens too.

As others said you can leave the tags on and not wash everything until you know if you need it or not. My DS was a spitter and went through at least three outfits a day. So until you know how your baby is going to be, I say it is better to be prepared with some backups in hand. The basic onesies, etc. don't cost much.

• Options

8-12 outfits of each size: newborn, 0-3.  You will probably get a few more as gifts, you will go out and get more once lo moves into 3-6 month size and also the weather may change so that will change how you dress child.  I have always wanted atleast 3 outfits per day for the first couple of months, and that equals laudry atleast 2xper week, remember the blankets/burp cloths, etc must be washed too, and the sheets from crib...

• Options
    You can also find cheap lots on eBay.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't later with onesies but I do have ten wear just those in the summer. So I would get them just as outfits themselves. I do find with a first baby u can easily go overboard buying things. But it is fun. Now thy I am on my third I have reduced a lot. I guess it also depends on how often you do laundry!

I would say ten onesies is a little much. I like to have some nice outfits on hand past the three month stage.

I wouldn't plan now for blowouts. They don't happen that often that you need them on hand so much. But if your baby is born with reflux or something g I would stock up on extras after she is here!

If you plan on have more kids I would invest in some better clothes for hand me downs. I shop at gap and gymboree (they have very frequent 40 percent off sales and run true to size). And my second son used so much of my first's wardeobe! Whereas I found as cheap as our carters stuff was, I lasted half the time! They would be busting out of 6 months to 9 and them 12 before you know it. Whereas with Gap I have found with both my kids the 6-12 sizes actually last the six moths. My point? I would get fewer better quality clothes over a lot of
    Cheap ones.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I'm a FTM. My mom flipped when she saw everything I purchased. My son's 4-drawer dresser is already full, and his closet is at capacity. My husband has gotten him 5 pairs of shoes already. Evidently, this is too much! (According to my mom, anyway.) I heard that babies often go through 3 outfits per day, so I would need 21 outfits per week to keep with my once per week laundry schedule. .... To be fair, though, I did purchase clothes all the way up to 12 months. They're not all the same size.

I never changed my boys more than twice a day by if you have a reflux baby I can see how it is needed.

I know what you mean though. I have two boys and this baby is a girl so I have done most of the shopping on my own. Her closet is busting because when Xmas sales were happening I stocked up on items for Xmas time next year and fall too. That way I don't buy them at full price next year. So it looks excessive but her closet really has about four sizes in there. I will only have to supplement a few things when she moves into those sizes officially!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    While babies go through 0-12 mths clothing in about an 8-10 mth span, you'll need way more than that.  Feel free to laugh at DH and tell him he can do the laundry every single night.  You can go through 3-5 outfits in a day in the first couple of months.  

A good rule would be to make sure you have some outfits, pjs and stuff for every size until 12 mth and then wait to see what you're missing and buy stuff then.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Girl: 2014/4/25  K: Born 2012/02/20
    BFP 12/31/2010; missed m/c @ 6w1d, medical m/c(Misoprostol)@ 13w2d.    My Blog

• Options
    DH and I went to goodwill and once upon a child and looked...we've spent maybe $10 on clothes, MIL and my mom have given us a ton of clothing. But we have decided if we need to buy more, this is where we'd go. $2-3 for sleepers, onsies etc. we will spend more $$ on outfits for specific things etc.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! I didn't think of gowns so I'll go buy some of those and a few nb pjs and onesies since I don't have much. I do have a lot of pants, socks and mittens though so I think that should be good enough.
  • Options
    I am in the exact opposite boat!  We got some things from our registry, but the majority of the gifts were clothes we did not register for.  We have 90 (yes, 9-0) pieces of clothing in the 0-3 month size....this is what happens when you are carrying the first female child the family has seen in 20 years.  I have not removed the tags from anything and am hoping to return 1/3 of it for larger sizes.

An April due date also sucks because in my area of the country, 0-3 months will include 50 degree temperatures and 100 degree temperatures, so I need a spring and summer wardrobe for a newborn.
  • Options
    Expect mulitple changes a day, but also realize that you won't be running like normal at first either and it's likely the laundry (and many other things) will be piled up, so it's better to have too many clothes, than not enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"