Two Under 2

Getting out with 2u2

Hi Ladies,

I've got 10 weeks left until we have 2 boys under 2. DS1 will still go to full day daycare for the first 2 1\2 months, but I teach, so we don't have him registered for July/August. That means I'll be a SAHM with a 2m DS and a very busy 22m DS. 

I keep trying to decide on the perfect gear for 2u2, but finally realized I'll need different stuff depending on where we're going. I have an Ergo and a Moby from DS1, and after pushing around strollers at BBB have decided to splurge on a City Select. I have a JuJuBe BFF that's usually half-empty with just the toddler, and a changing station I sometimes throw in the stroller for short outings. I EBF. 

For 2u2, what would you bring on the following outings?
1) park around the corner
2) mall
3) zoo

Thanks!
My Big Boy - Felix - was born August 2012
My Little Boy - Calvin - is due April 2014

Re: Getting out with 2u2

• I live in a tiny town, so a park around the corner is the only thing we frequent on the list. I throw a blanket, burp cloth, cell phone, and keys in the stroller and go. Sometimes I'll remember a water bottle, and when I'm feeling optimistic I bring a book or camera. Sometimes we take a picnic lunch too. The park is only about a block away, so we can head home for diaper changes and such. If we drive to one of the bigger parks, I'll take one diaper change per kid too... but I've yet to use them.
    Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • I would use a double stroller for all of these. Obviously at the mall or zoo you will want to be able to strap both kids in at times. At the park I would wear the baby in a carrier and park the stroller somewhere. But I'd still prefer the double for transporting to and from. In my experience, toddlers are stubborn. There will be times he doesn't want to leave when it's time to go, and you will need to pick him up and wrestle him in. Not easy to do if you are wearing an infant. I would much prefer to deal with pushing a bulky double to have he convenience of containing both kids if I need to.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have 2 double strollers and I always keep my JJB BFF stocked with whatever we need (bottles, diapers, etc) and I bring it on most of our outings regardless of time so I know I have everything I need. I might bring an extra bag, like my JJB Super Be, on all day outing if we need extra clothes or diapers, jackets, etc). I like to keep snacks on me all the time which always helps keep my kids happy. 

I have a BOB Duallie that we used for walks (I walk for exercise so I wanted a jogging stroller) and then I have a Baby Jogger Versa with a ride on board or Uppababy Rumble Seat in my car.  It means wherever we go, I grab the BFF and I am pretty much ready to go.  I love to babywear but my son hates it so we don't use that much anymore.  I rely heavily on my strollers for getting out.  Hoping baby #3 will like being worn better! 

My only other advice is just to start getting out.  Some outings may go terribly but don't let it get you down.  You'll learn better and better what works for your kids and you when you want to get out.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • I really never used my double stroller for any of those places.  I've really only used it for walks around our neighborhood with the dog.  For all of those scenarios I wore DS and DD rode in the stroller.  Up until he was sitting unsupported he was happier being worn.  It did not make it more difficult for me to keep up with DD honestly than pushing around a heavy double stroller would have.  Mine are 19.5 mos apart.  It's hard at first but start small and you'll get there.   
  • laura1laura1 member
    edited February 2014
    My older 2 are 15 months apart...

1) Double stroller with carrier under the stroller.  When we got to the park, I would put DD in the carrier then let DS out of the stroller.  Then he was off and running!  I would keep diaper changes for both in the diaper bag, along with a sippy cup and snack for DS, and a nursing cover.  I also had a mini first aid kit (really just antiseptic spray and bandaids) in there which I had to use numerous times!
    2) We didn't often go to the mall - I brought them both often to Target and grocery store and in that case, DS went in then shopping cart and DD went in the carrier (or I would put her car seat in the big part of the cart if we only needed a few things).  The few times we went to the mall it was for specific things and I usually brought the double stroller.  I also ALWAYS have snacks with me for the toddler!
    3) Still take the double stroller, again with a carrier under it.  I have a Bumbleride Indie Twin, so it has a HUGE basket.  For the zoo - a much longer trip - I packed the diaper bag with all the diaper changing necessities along with extra clothes for each of them.  Then I packed a lunch bag for DS full of lunch/snacks.  All that goes under the stroller.  In the diaper bag is the nursing cover for the baby.  

I have found that all outings with more than one kid require lots of prep work!  I took my 3 on the commuter boat to the Aquarium last week and it required over an hour of prep the night before (packing snacks and activities for the boat ride, setting up the double stroller with the Bundle mes, making sure I had everyones' hats, mittens, coats ready, setting up their clothes for the morning, etc).  We were only at the Aquarium for 45 min and the kids were ready to go home...I wanted to cry - it took me longer to prepare the trip!   Good luck - you will be fine :)
    TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For mall I'd use a single stroller for your oldest and the ergo for the baby. For park I'd use the ergo and have your oldest walk. I think chasing a toddler is infinitely easier when you're wearing a baby vs pushing a double. I really only used my double for longer outings like the zoo and ditched it when ds stopped running off around his second birthday (though we practiced a ton to get to that point).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Anyone have an opinion on whether it's easier, on long outings, to have one really big diaper bag or your regular bag plus extra stuff in separate bags? I think my BFF will be perfect for an average day with two, but for zoo etc. I'll need to cart around more stuff. I'm debating whether to get a second diaper bag that's bigger, or one that's smaller to use when I just have the infant and then bring both for big trips.
    My Big Boy - Felix - was born August 2012
    My Little Boy - Calvin - is due April 2014
  • ebp913ebp913 member
    edited February 2014
    Anyone have an opinion on whether it's easier, on long outings, to have one really big diaper bag or your regular bag plus extra stuff in separate bags? I think my BFF will be perfect for an average day with two, but for zoo etc. I'll need to cart around more stuff. I'm debating whether to get a second diaper bag that's bigger, or one that's smaller to use when I just have the infant and then bring both for big trips.
    I prefer to have one bag with all my stuff ready to go then put extras like clothes in another bag.  If I did the bigger bag, I would either have to move everything from my BFF to my bigger bag everytime I used it (and then back again after) or I would need more duplicates of stuff like diapers, organizers, tylenol, etc to keep the bigger bag also stocked and then on top of that, maintaining the stock in those 2 diaper bags so they had all the essentials for our activities that day.  I didn't like either of those ideas so that's why I like the overflow bag.  I would just do whatever is easiest for you.  I just prefer spending as little time prepping as possible so maintaining one bag was the easy solution for me.  I don't mind the extra bag because I'm either leaving it in the car or putting it in the stroller basket.  

Now talk to me again when #3 gets here... I really want to make my BFF work but we'll see.  I think I may have to get a bigger bag :( but my plan will still be the same. 
    image   image
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • I use my BFF and just pack an extra bag.  The diaper bag has the regular essentials like the diapers, wipes, extra outfit for DD#2, emergency snacks and water cups for all 3, etc.  In the extra bag I pack more food, sweatshirts in the spring/fall, hats, mittens in the winter, and activities for the bigger kids (we often take the commuter train or boat into the city to go to museums, aquarium, so they need activities).  I prefer this as well, since with a bigger bag, I am not sure it would fit under the stroller.  If I have lots of stuff, I can always carry the diaper bag and put the extra stuff in the basket (I can't really hang the bag on the back of the double since I have a glider board for the third kid - and the diaper bag hanging there would get in the way).  Also it is easier to not have to dig into a huge bag all of the time.  

Good luck!
    TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • laura1 said:

I use my BFF and just pack an extra bag.  The diaper bag has the regular essentials like the diapers, wipes, extra outfit for DD#2, emergency snacks and water cups for all 3, etc.  In the extra bag I pack more food, sweatshirts in the spring/fall, hats, mittens in the winter, and activities for the bigger kids (we often take the commuter train or boat into the city to go to museums, aquarium, so they need activities).  I prefer this as well, since with a bigger bag, I am not sure it would fit under the stroller.  If I have lots of stuff, I can always carry the diaper bag and put the extra stuff in the basket (I can't really hang the bag on the back of the double since I have a glider board for the third kid - and the diaper bag hanging there would get in the way).  Also it is easier to not have to dig into a huge bag all of the time.  

Good luck!
    Not to hijack the thread, but what stroller and glider board do you have and how do you like it?
  • I would bring the stroller everywhere and put the infant wrap/carrier in the basket for when/if I needed it.  This summer I will be home on maternity leave and will have a 6 year old, almost 4 year old, 19-23 month old (depending on the month), and a newborn.  I plan on wearing the newborn a lot.  I bought the CItyMini GT double and love it as I am already using it for my now 3 year old and 15 month old.  I thought about buying the boogie board attachment but it doesn't get great reviews so I hope to be able to wear the baby and put the almost 4 year old in the double stroller when we are out for long days.  I hope I make it through the summer with all the hair on my head.  Lol. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers mc #1 2/17/06 mc#2 8/3/06 mc #3 9/7/09
  • Does anyone keep two strollers in their car?  I'm figuring the single will be good for outings where I can wear the DS2.  If he's asleep I probably don't want to mess with taking him out of the car seat to put him into the wrap.  I have a Britax B-Agile (single) and a Britax Nimble (umbrella stroller that works as travel system).  I figure if I can keep the double and the Britax Nimble in the car (small) it should work out fine.

I worry about going to doctors visits with both kids.  Take the huge double?  Take the single and wear the LO?

I'm up in the air with double strollers - not sure if I want the Contours Optima/Options or City Select.  
    imageimageimage VOTE on my Name List     
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Does anyone keep two strollers in their car?  I'm figuring the single will be good for outings where I can wear the DS2.  If he's asleep I probably don't want to mess with taking him out of the car seat to put him into the wrap.  I have a Britax B-Agile (single) and a Britax Nimble (umbrella stroller that works as travel system).  I figure if I can keep the double and the Britax Nimble in the car (small) it should work out fine.

I worry about going to doctors visits with both kids.  Take the huge double?  Take the single and wear the LO?

I'm up in the air with double strollers - not sure if I want the Contours Optima/Options or City Select.  
    I keep a convertible stroller in my car meaning that it can be a single or a double.  I have the Baby Jogger Versa with the Uppababy Rumble Seat.  It's about perfect for me. 
    image   image

Sometimes I have 2 double strollers in my car. Always have my city select but sometimes I use my Kinderwagon. Ergo also stays in my car. Beco stays in Dh's car because he doesn't have a stroller.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"