Two Under 2
Options

2 Car seats positioning question?

Our DD is 1yr and we are expecting our 2nd in May. Right now we have our DD's car seat in the middle of our back seat. Should we move her car seat behind the drivers seat and the infant car seat (for the new baby) behind the passenger seat?Or have them next to each other?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: 2 Car seats positioning question?

• Options
    I'm planning on Option #2. Our DD will be 22 months old in May when DS arrives, and I think he needs to be out of big siater's reach.
  • Options
    In theory, you want the least protected child in the middle.  Is your oldest still rear facing?  If yes, then I would try new baby in the middle with your oldest on either side. If you car seats won't fit that way, then do whatever it easiest.  Honestly, I keep both my kids outboard because I know that I can get the harness on their seats tight more easily from the outside.  The safest thing is the seat you will use correctly 100% of the time and I decided that for me, having them both on the outsides was going to better accomplish that.  

Also, if you parallel park a lot or live in a busy area, you may want to put your baby behind the driver and the toddler behind the passenger.  I find it's easier to keep baby in the infant bucket on the sidewalk while I strap in my toddler and then walk around, drop the bucket in behind me and get in the car.  Means my door isn't open with cars flying by while I wrangle a toddler into their car seat.  

Also, I've changed my kids positions about 10 times since DS was born.  I'm always messing with what I think it easiest! 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    sulsa78sulsa78 member
    edited February 2014
    Thank you both! I live in the city of Philadelphia so I think we are going to put the seats on the outsides rather than next to each other! Good points were made, thank you!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    we have them behind the driver and passenger. DD was in the middle but her convertible seat is huge..not a fan of the Britax Advocate we have! We tested out the infant seat in the middle and the Britax on the side and the infant seat has to be forced in and scrapes against the convertible, so it's not going to be possible.
  • Options
    I currently have a minivan, but will be trading up for a Suburban or an Expedition for the 4wd before next winter. My minivan as the four captains chairs and only one LATCH on the back bench. I'm going to put E on the passengers side captain seat (he will be still rear facing for hopefully 6 months after the baby is born). DD has the back bench, and newbie will be behind me in the drivers side captain's seat.

The Suburban will have benches, though, and both rear facers will be side by side. When e is big enough to turn around I'm thinking I'll have to put space between the babies, so then E might be in the back seat with DD.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"