October 2013 Moms
Options

MIL's

apritchett50apritchett50 member
edited February 2014 in October 2013 Moms
My MIL is over and I'm pretending to have a really longgggggg pumping session so I don't have to talk to her much. So I'm curious of how many people like/dislike theirs. Tell me stories if you want!

MIL's 266 votes

Love her, we're besties
23% 63 votes
Mehhhh, she's ok.
40% 108 votes
Dislike her but tolerate her.
22% 61 votes
Hate her, don't talk to her!!!!
3% 10 votes
RESULTS!!!!
9% 24 votes

Re: MIL's

• Options
    acethebaseacethebase member
    edited February 2014
    Mine was a controlling freak for the first couple of years so I had to put my foot down and let her know "what's up." Now she's ok but I still have moments where she irritates me but for the most part I tolerate her.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I put meh because she isn't really in our life at all. She only wants to be a part of our lives if it's convenient for her. She has only met DD once, but only because SIL was driving her. She hasn't invited us over or asked about DD because she gets all her updates from SIL. Whatever...

Wow, that's pretty sad. Does she atleast keep in contact with your DH?
  • Options
    I would not say we are besties, but I like her more than meh. She can be very clingy with DH, but things have gotten better now that he is setting boundaries and we also live farther away.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    apritchett50apritchett50 member
    edited February 2014
    jgslr said:

Another meh. She lives out of state, so that helps. I can't stand how lazy she is though, she wants everything done for her and is a self proclaimed diva. Umm.ok. she joked about wanting to be called Glam-ma, seriously. /:)

Luckily mine isn't a dive but she's super lazy, "disabled", and has every medical condition in the book. Oh and she's only 46. But, somehow, can do normal thing. Paaaalllllleeeeeaaaassssseeee.

And I'm kinda super jealous yours loves out of town! One can dream!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I'm really, really lucky. I love my MIL and have never had any issues w/ her. She's amazing. DH is just like her so that's probably why I love her so much. FIL on the other hand...

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BFP #1: Mother's Day 5/13/12...m/c Memorial Day Weekend 5/26/12 

BFP #2: 2/16/13...Owen Ray born 6 weeks early 9/9/13

photo e0fadb54-1cd9-4c5f-8086-5e25d4789dbe_zps5ef23e41.jpg
  • Options
    I put love her. I wouldn't go as far as bestie, but she's definitely better than meh. She's got her quirks and she annoys me sometimes, but I'm sure she could say the same of me. I got really lucky with my in-laws.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I put meh, I like my MIL and we have a good relationship but sometimes drives me crazy. They live 2hrs away, so not a long drive, but other than when LO was born they've only come to see us once. We normally wind up driving to them and if we don't MIL just tells DH how much she misses baby. I'm like just come see him, they know they're welcome to visit as much as they want. It's much easier for them to come to us than for us to come to them!

• Options
    I'm somewhere between meh and tolerate her. Really depends on the day.

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • Options
    I put dislike/tolerate but it's really hate/ must put up with. She'a a bad person -- a manipulator, gossip, adulterer. She thinks she has some claim over my baby, which at times is playful and other times creepy. She stepped way over the line when LO was born and caused major drama in the first week or so pp. If I could turn back the clock I would have kicked her ass out of my house during one of her DAILY unannounced visits.
  • Options
    My MIL and FIL are both wonderful. I really feel lucky to have them in the family. MIL and I talk often, text a lot, and say "I love you" before we hang up

• Options
    I have a really great MIL. It's been a process. Originally there were boundary issues, but we have worked through them. We have a really good and functional relationship.
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• Options
    KuhaBaby said:

I'm willing to bet that I have the best MIL on this board. She is really understanding, loving, helpful, thoughtful and a respectful person. Totally love her!

I would take that wager! My IL's are both such amazing people. I don't know what we would do with out them.

9/13/12 BFP 9/25/12 M/C at 6.5 weeks

***All AL'ers Welcome***

• Options
    Between Meh and Love. While I love her, we are far from besties.
  • Options
    I put love her, we aren't besties but she's great. It wasn't like that at first though and it took a while for her to warm up to me. Our first dinner conversation MIL asked me "Do you play an instrument?" Im all,"Nope!" and I killed that line of small talk quick. (Her and SIL play the piano and SIL was accepted into the family like instantly). I was accustomed to adults all up in my business my whole life and ILs would sit there and talk about current events, science or the weather. Couldn't get a good read on them. I only met the in- laws a couple times before we got engaged so I think they were skeptical. FIL always liked me but FILs are easier to charm They both love me now obvs, and they are super nice and easy-going people. MIL flew in to help when LO was born and cooked for us, and helped around the holidays. I can't complain.

• Options
    Dislike but tolerate. Thank God there's an ocean between us, she's a major drama llama. SIL is the exact same. MIL Skyped with us Wednesday. She complained to DH Thursday night that she didn't get enough LO time Wednesday. I'm sorry, LO had to eat. Also, we don't want to hear you bitch and complain about SIL, and encourage LO to fuss and scream more b/c she likes to hear it. We have to go back home for BIL's wedding in June, but I swear to God MIL will end up hopping on a plane around about April to come see LO again. Wouldn't be the first time she's bought a ticket for 2 days down the line and not told us until she's landed looking for transport to our house. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I put meh, but really it's in between meh and besties. At first, we got along great but then when DH moved out and we moved in together, things got bad (like she told me if she would've seen me in the 3 mos after he moved out, she literally would've killed me!). After a few months things settled down and slowly we built a pretty solid relationship. A whole bunch of drama ensued around the time DH and I got married so that set her and I back a bit again, but now we are better than ever. She has been absolutely amazing since I've had DS and I honestly don't know what I would've done without her these past few months. I love her to pieces! There are a lot of things she has said about me that have hurt me and she never apologized for it but I'm learning to just forgive & forget. FIL can be a real jerk but I take him with a grain of salt. He rly does have our best interest at heart.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    photo ae9d6512-aa3f-4ee3-9605-e9c1b685f0eb_zps385c8147.jpg
  • Options
    Hate mine. We don't speak as of one month ago, thank goodness! DH currently isn't speaking to her either. If I explained why, I'd write a novel.

imageimage    

• Options
    beernifer said:

I choose meh. She is good with LO when she is in town but I have to take her in small doses. She says some things that can be pretty off putting but she is always very helpful with the baby. 

This exactly. She makes passive aggressive comments that drive me insane

• Options
    KuhaBaby said:

I'm willing to bet that I have the best MIL on this board. She is really understanding, loving, helpful, thoughtful and a respectful person. Totally love her!

I could have written this about my MIL. We spend so much time together. It was very important to me that the man I fell in love with had a great relationship with his family. I feel I struck gold with the love and kindness that his family governs themselves by.

• Options
    ElleStaxx said:

Strongly dislike. She is an obsessive passive aggressive manipulative wench. She keeps track of how much time she gets to hold the baby and how much other people got to hold him. She says she needs 'alone' time with DH and LO. Group settings don't count. I can't stand her.

Could have written this myself. We were fine before LO, but her actions post LO have been atrocious at times. I voted tolerate.

• Options
    I wouldn't say we're besties but I def love my MIL, she is so kind and giving, and treats me like a daughter...my own mum lives back in the UK and it is hard sometimes but my MIL is fantastic to me always.
  • Options
    I put dislike but tolerate her only because we live half the country apart.  If we were closer it would probably be in the don't talk to her column.  We don't talk as is.  If she needs information she asks DH and either he will answer it or ask me.  We aren't even Facebook friends because last time she was I posted something and she flipped shit that I posted it and didn't tell her.  It wasn't anything big.  If I started posting MIL, well in law stories in general you guys would have plenty of entertainment.
  • Options
    I picked mehhhh. MIL is very absent from our family, even though she lives 15 min away. She doesn't really call, or check on DD. She's only seen us about 4 times since DDs been born. (That's including holidays.)

My mother on the other hand, is the most amazing woman, EVER!!! She is the biggest lifesaver, and is very involved with DD. Love her!
  • Options
    I wouldn't say we're besties but I love my MIL and totally lucked out there. She's warm, supportive, so helpful and doesn't overstep her bounds.

I can't stand my FIL mainly because he treats Mh like shit and we all know how I feel about my SIL.

I've been spending the weekend with them all at a wedding in Wisconsin and I'm about to scream! Can't wait to get home!
    Oct 13 April Siggy: Bunnies
    The 33 Most Important Bunny GIFs On The Internet

DS born on 9/30/13 from IVF #1.2!
      Lilypie - (xNS5)
  • Options
    I put "results" because I love my MIL but we are by no means besties. She does a lot that I side eye, but she is a good person and a wonderful grandmother.
  • Options
    vvg28 said:

ElleStaxx said:

Strongly dislike. She is an obsessive passive aggressive manipulative wench. She keeps track of how much time she gets to hold the baby and how much other people got to hold him. She says she needs 'alone' time with DH and LO. Group settings don't count. I can't stand her.

Could have written this myself. We were fine before LO, but her actions post LO have been atrocious at times. I voted tolerate.

Yesssssss. Same here. I mean she was overbearing and annoying before LO was born and then she lost her mind. When she asks, "How's MY baby?", I want to punch her greedy face. She wears the strongest, cheapest-smelling perfume and applied her make up with a trowel. She looks like a tranny. Completely different from me so it scares LO.
  • Options

beernifer said:

I choose meh. She is good with LO when she is in town but I have to take her in small doses. She says some things that can be pretty off putting but she is always very helpful with the baby. 

This exactly. She makes passive aggressive comments that drive me insane
    This. So passive aggressive and tries to control her kids with money. Thankfully DH and I make enough so that we're able to tell them where to shove their money... Every time she tries her shit.
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• Options
    I said besties, we are really close. I can tell we have some different opinions on some parenting issues, but nothing major & she respects my choices regardless. For example, when I've had BFing struggles, she always suggests trying the bottle when I've been clear I don't want to. And I know she side-eyes BFing past a year, which I may do... But she's a very kind person & has been great.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

imageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Oh geez.. Which one?! I have 3 MILs and my own mother. It's crazy town. But seriously.. All of my MILs are pretty okay. My husbands real mom is kind of dramatic and acts like a teenager but her wife is pretty awesome most of the time. She can flip her switch pretty quickly without warning though. His dad's wife is the best. We get along pretty great but she is kinda shy. Anyway.. They are all okay. We get along.

Jude Beckham 10/23/2013   Sean & Chels 03/08/2012

• Options
    When my MIL was alive we had a pretty good relationship most days. Trust me we had our fights and I mean fights complete with screaming and throwing things. There at the end though I was pretty much her best friend and she would call me over H for just about everything. She also lived in our house and I "quit" my job for 3 months after we got back from our honeymoon so I could take care of her.
  • Options
    She cool. We live 10hrs away from each other so we aren't close. Shes quiet. Deft a Midwestern woman who keeps her mouth shut. No offense to you Midwesterners. I'm a city girl and we're sassy. Now my FIL on the other hand.....I don't need to see him as often as I do lol (like 4 times a year, ha)
  • Options
    Mil lives in London so we only Skype her. But her life is a fucking mess, she is depressed (sorta) and also hints to dh that she is going to kill herself (she won't, too selfish for that) but she does it so dh will give her attention. Then she is happy and doesn't even bring it up. She is cray and I'm so thankful she moved to England.
  • Options
    tmccord21 said:

She cool. We live 10hrs away from each other so we aren't close. Shes quiet. Deft a Midwestern woman who keeps her mouth shut. No offense to you Midwesterners. I'm a city girl and we're sassy. Now my FIL on the other hand.....I don't need to see him as often as I do lol (like 4 times a year, ha)

We're usually pretty passive aggressive. According to DH I don't have to speak, my eyebrows and breathing pattern say it all. I of course say he is full of shit and I'm going to start walking around with a bag on my head. Lol

9/13/12 BFP 9/25/12 M/C at 6.5 weeks

***All AL'ers Welcome***

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"