January 2013 Moms
Options

Throwing food

My daughter has recently starting throwing her food like crazy. Sometimes it signals that she is done but other times I think she does it just to see how we will respond and then she will keep on eating. First time mom here but is this pretty typical? Any advice on how to get her to stop so our poor dog doesn't gain any more weight? :)

Re: Throwing food

• Options
    Yep, My son just started doing this as well.  Normally it is towards the end of his meal, and he is full.  But sometimes he does it because he thinks it is funny to watch the dogs run after it.  I am hoping it is just a phase.  

BFP#1 -3/18/12- M/C 3/31/12,
    BFP#2 -4/25/12, Beta#1 17dpo= 800, Beta#2 20dpo= 3800, Ethan James born 1-5-13

BFP#3- February 2015- natural miscarriage

BFP#4- June 2015- Ruptured ectopic, severe hemorrhage and loss of left tube on 7/10/2015

BFP#5- 12/18/15

• Options
    We are going through the same thing here. A lot of the time it is because she is done but other times she does it for no reason. We have started taking her tray away when she does it more than once.  I will typically try to feed her after taking the tray if I think she might still be hungry.  
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it is typical. DD doesn't throw food, I mean a lot ends up on the floor but it's her overly enthusiastic approach of trying to get too much food in her mouth at once. 

If she threw food I would get down to her level and say "we don't throw food" and if she did it again I'd take the food and end the meal. I'm pretty strict about certain stuff.
  • Options
    DD has been doing this. Sometimes it signals she's done and just playing, bit she also knows she isn't supposed to so it. She'll get food in her hand and hang it over the side of the tray and look at me grinning. I tell her "don't drop food!" And she immediately does and laughs. It's been a challenge. I want to make sure she's getting full but also that she knows not to throw food in the floor... After she does it a couple times, we just end her meal and take her plate.
    Also, regarding the plate suggestion, we serve DD all her meals on a kids plate. She still throws things in the floor, or tries to dump the whole plate on the floor. She doesn't seem to do it at daycare, so I'm wondering if its the reaction she gets from me or something else..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DS throws food onto the floor when he is done or if it is something he doesn't want to eat. We do not have pets, I kind of wish we did!

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options
    DD doesn't throw her food, but she always intentionally drops a handful of it off the side of her tray to watch what happens when it hits the floor.

She definitely will take food off her plate and set it on her tray when she's done, so I think the dropping/throwing is just part of the whole learning about the world and how things work thing, so I give her a pass (or two of its a new food and she's never seen it hit the floor) but if she keeps doing it, her food gets taken away. We tell her that food is for eating and not playing and she can have it back if/when she's ready to eat more.

I've noticed that she rarely does it with foods she has frequently, like Cheerios and scrambled eggs and pb&j sandwiches. But it's almost guaranteed to happen with a brand new food.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    This is totally normal, and just a phase to get through!  Sometimes it signals that they are done, sometimes it is a game, and sometimes they just like to throw!  DS#2 puts food in his mouth, and throws the rest.  He's not full, he's not looking for a reaction, he just likes to throw everything.  Of course, then he finishes the food in his mouth and gets mad when there isn't more to replace it!
    Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• Options
    @MichieU79 I cant wait to hear how the suction plate works.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"