Baby Names
Options

Dahlia v. Audrey

I've posted on here a couple of times about this already, but hopefully this is the last time - baby will be here in less than a month! 

Back story - husband really wants to use Dahlia in either FN (preferably for him) or MN to honor a grandfather. I've wanted to use Audrey since DD#1 was born but we ultimately used Claire on her. I think Dahlia is pretty but worry about it being NN'd to Dolly or Lia. It's funny how you can like a full name but the two components separately just don't do it for you. 

Last name is similar to Mahoney. 

Name combo options are: 

Dahlia Clementine
Audrey Dahlia 
Dahlia Audrey

The last one isn't my favorite because I don't like the two As in a row, it's more just to get Audrey in there. My husband and I both feel like Dahlia Clementine is the name, but whenever I definitively say ok, that's it, he always responds with "but then you don't get to use Audrey again!" and then I'm sent on a spiral of uncertainty. 

So, mamas, tell me your preference and help me lock this thing down once and for all!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dahlia v. Audrey

• Options
    I think Audrey is beautiful! I love it with sister Claire.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Dahlia Clementine. I think that Audry Dahlia has a slightly odd flow, and i dont like Audrey with a last name similar to Mahoney. I agree about Dahlia Audrey. Total tongue twister.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like Audrey Dahlia
  • Options
    I seriously love both names so much!! MH likes more conventional names, so I think Audrey is our front runner right now. But Dahlia is so beautiful and underused. I don't think you can go wrong with either. As far as flow, I think I like Audrey Dahlia better.

DS born Oct. '11

TTC #2 with PCOS since Nov. '13

Dx: Low Progesterone (3.3) on 8/12/14

Waiting for RE appointment on 10/28/14

Surprise BFP on cycle 12 -- 10/19/14!

EDD July 1, 2015

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I love Dahlia! Both middle names sound good.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I love Audrey, it's DDs name, but with your last name I prefer Dahlia. I have a friend named Dahlia and she goes by her full name, not a nn. I don't think it needs a nn. I'm not a fan of Clementine but I don't love the flow of Dahlia Audrey, so I'm no help there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It's tough because I like both names but they have very different feelings to me.

Overall, I prefer Dahlia to Audrey.  Since Dahlia is a slightly uncommon name, it doesn't feel like there is a go to NN (though I personally think Dolly is adorable).

Audrey is absolutely lovely with Claire thoough, so my vote goes to Audrey Dahlia. GL!

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    I like Audrey Clementine :P But out of your choices I like Audrey Dahlia.
    ~Married 12.09.12~
    ~NTNP #1 since 11.14 - Current Cycle: 2~
    imageimage

• Options
    I like Dahlia Audrey.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I like Audrey Clementine :P But out of your choices I like Audrey Dahlia.
    Me, too, actually - if my husband and his family weren't a part of this whole thing, I'd probably go with that combo! But alas, we aren't sure if we're having a third kid so we want to make sure to get the Dale/Dahlia honor in this name. I had previously considered using all three of those names but ultimately, a 30 character name is probably just being mean to the poor kid. :)
  • Options
    I love Audrey, it's DDs name, but with your last name I prefer Dahlia. I have a friend named Dahlia and she goes by her full name, not a nn. I don't think it needs a nn. I'm not a fan of Clementine but I don't love the flow of Dahlia Audrey, so I'm no help there.
    That's good to hear that you know a Dahlia without a nickname! Maybe I'm just being paranoid, my name is two syllables but I've never used a nickname so maybe it's more avoidable than I think.
  • Options
    I am biased because DD is Audrey Elise and I love it. I don't agree with PP; it's not too trendy or overdone. It's in the top 100 but not the top 10. If you love it then use it!
  • Options
    Dahlia Clementine all the way!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Dahlia times 100000. It is so beautiful and underused, unexpected and fresh.
    My prince

My princess

Name my baby!
  • Options
    This is hard! I like Audrey a tad more than Dahlia but the latter is a lot less common (huge plus for me) and sounds better with your LN. .. So I guess Dahlia Audrey, ultimately. GL!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I vote Audrey but just because that's my name and I love it :-)
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Love Dahlia Clementine - but if Dahlia Audrey gets you to use Audrey, that would be my front runner. The 2 A's don't bother me, since Audrey starts with an "Aw" sound, YKWIM?
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses! I am feeling a lot better about Dahlia after reading your comments, and I do like how it's less common and a new spin on the flower name trend. We might have to do the whole look at the bebe and see which name feels right, but at least I don't feel like I'll be losing out either way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"