Working Moms
Options

Potty Traininv and Daycare

So my child is starting to show some interest in potty training. While we aren't there yet it got me looking at various methods. I wanted to see if anyone had advice on what works best with daycare. I am clearly not able to let her run around naked for a week. Does the three day work because it's basically a weekend?

Re: Potty Traininv and Daycare

• Options
    Honestly I let daycare handle PTing, we didn't do much at home. When she moved up to the 2.5yr old room they focus on PTing. We sent her in pull-ups and they take all kids to the potty every 2hrs. After 3 months her teacher recommended we put her in underwear and it went great, only like 2 accidents. I recommend you get pull-ups and a potty seat and ask her if she wants to use the potty, but don't stress over it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I also let daycare take the lead since DS was there so much during the week.  They took the kids every hour in the 2-yr-old room and when DS was consistently dry during the day we sent him in underwear.  We did underwear at home at the same time and took him every hour.  DS potty trained really well and it was a fairly easy process for all of us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    jf198400 said:
    Honestly I let daycare handle PTing, we didn't do much at home. When she moved up to the 2.5yr old room they focus on PTing. We sent her in pull-ups and they take all kids to the potty every 2hrs. After 3 months her teacher recommended we put her in underwear and it went great, only like 2 accidents. I recommend you get pull-ups and a potty seat and ask her if she wants to use the potty, but don't stress over it.

So this just goes to show that there are multiple approaches!

We initiated the PTing over New Year's break, since we had a few extra days at home and it was after the craziness of Christmas.  We did the initial few days at home, and then sent DS to daycare in underwear.  We communciated very well with his teachers so that they were ready to take over where we left off.  He had a few accidents at daycare, but always when he woke up after nap.  They would wisk him away to the bathroom as soon as he woke up, and we all later realized that he was so groggy that he wasnt' going "all the way" and having accidents soon after.  Once they started him him a little bit of time between waking up and going potty, he was fine.

We didn't use pull-ups at all in our process.  DS went bare bottomed for the first few days at home, then straight to underwear.  Pull-ups have only been using for night time. 

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • Options
    We tried the three day method and I was really bummed when DS wasn't trained at the end.  In talking to other moms, they came to the same conclusion that I did - three day training may work for some, but not for all.  I'm not sure if it is just my area or what, but I have yet to hear of a daycare that will potty train a child.  Around here they say that they want the child potty trained for two weeks at home before they will allow the child at daycare with under ware.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We have an in-home DC and we worked together.  DS fought with us to go on the potty at first.  He went for her first so we just followed that lead.  DD has been more open to at least sitting on the potty for the both of us.  We will take the same joint approach this time as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DC told us to let them do the primary potty training. When DD first started showing an interest, her classroom wasn't equipped for it and DC said it would be counterproductive to start if they can't support. They took the lead and it was awesome. We would consult with the teachers to see what we needed to do at home (naked time, regular potty times, etc). They trained, we supported.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Girl P - 11/15/10
  • Options
    TheLadyLindzTheLadyLindz member
    edited February 2014
    I really think its a regional thing for preschools to help potty train your child. Living most of my life in Louisiana, none of the preschools my social group knows of will take a child not potty trained. Only daycares take diapered children. Living in the DC area now, we were so amazed that the preschool our son started would take him once he turned 2, and they would potty train him. They told us it usually only takes about 2 weeks of hourly potty breaks for the kids to get the hang of it. If you don't have a daycare or preschool I guess just try that method when your child's at home. Every hour or so, just sit them on the pot for a minute or two and see if they go. 
  • Options
    We actually live in the DC area as well! They will potty train at 2 but I feel like she might be ready sooner. I will chat with them! Thanks for all the advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"