Toddlers: 24 Months+

2 year old and daycare

sytomsytom member
edited January 2014 in Toddlers: 24 Months+
My toddler is really social, communicates as much as she can, is very curious and she really loves the company of adults... Unfortunately, we don't get the chance to hang out with many kids, so the ones she sees are the ones at daycare. She goes three morning a week. When I go get her, I'm always hearing the same thing... She doesn't want to play with others. She likes to read books, she sits by herself and watch the others play. Any advice on how to handle the situation is welcomed! I just want the best for her. Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: 2 year old and daycare

• TiffanyBerryTiffanyBerry member
    edited February 2014
    My daughter is similar.  She'll turn 4 in May and she's still this way.  She is just a big introvert.  She doesn't play with the other kids at preschool, but she'll play with kids when there are just one or two and it's a space she feels comfortable in.  Here's a reference (not the best I've seen, but not bad) https://www.thepowerofintroverts.com/2011/06/09/ten-tips-for-parenting-an-introverted-child/
    And another that I like too: https://parentingfromscratch.wordpress.com/2012/07/12/things-to-know-about-introverted-children/

I wouldn't worry too much.  You can do role play, and encourage her to branch out, but always from a place of safety (like you, or a space she is comfortable with).  And be patient.  But also realize that this may not need to be "fixed".
    IMG_8355
  • It's normal for a 2 yr old to play alone, barring no other exsisting issues. The most you can hope for at this age is that they may play near each other, but it you actually look the kids are usually playing as individuals. Check out the milestones and you will see that group play comes much later. If your very worried talk to your ped at her 2yr old check-up. GL!
    Michelle
    Blythe Elizabeth is here March 27,2012
  • Loading the player...
  • I think that's probably normal. My son is over 2.5 and goes to a play group at least once a week. He will often play by himself or watch the other kids. He's starting to play with the others more, but he still enjoys doing his own thing.

• Are there any groups or activities you can participate in with other children? Having you there may help her learn how to interact with others. Having your encouragement and love might help her feel more at ease. Story time at the library or book store, gymnastics class, swim class at the local rec center, head to the mall's play area. My LO was such a little vecro baby and I just encouraged play with the other kids. I'd play with the other kids and direct him to share a toy with his new friend. 
  • We go through the same thing. I think it's normal, but my daughter is getting better the more that she goes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"