Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Ear Wax?

Does anyone have issues with ear wax in their LOs?  Can you tell me what you've tried to get rid of the ear wax and did that help?

DS has a cold and has been super cranky, so I took him to his pedi to see if he's got an ear infection.  The pedi said both ears have lots of ear wax so he really couldn't tell at all.  He's suggesting us use Debrox 2x/wk for couple of weeks.  I haven't had a chance to get it yet; wondering if anyone tried it or something else?
TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ear Wax?

• Options
    Every time we take DS to the Pedi his ears are filled with wax and they usually clean it out for us with a little scraper thing.   We clean them with the baby q-tips but you can only get so much out that way.  Sorry I'm not more help.
  • Options
    lol i'm so glad you posted this!!  ds' ear wax drives me nuts too!  i'm so glad i'm not the only one!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Our pedi has cleaned them with a scraper as well at appts. We were advised to lay off the safety qtips after a couple ear infections. My pedi said it tends to push wax a little deeper in.

DD doesn't have a ton, sometimes I can see it and simply scrape it out or use a wash cloth.

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

We use regular q-tips and are just careful not to push hard or too far.  I lightly move it around in circles in my sons ear to clean out the wax.  I do this about once a week.  Haven't had any problems like wax build up or ear infections.

Married - 10/10/2009

DS - Due 11/3/2012 born 9/28/2012 due to Severe Preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome

DD - EDD 12/30/15

"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Chart[/url|| <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</

• Options
    I can't imagine using a qtip on DS!!! I can see that he'll be screaming bloody murder if I go near his ears. Even wiping his nose with a Kleenex causes real tears. 

• Options
    We haven't had much success with Debrox, Lo's ear canals are really narrow so stuff doesn't drain out. So she's had to go through the scraping at the dr's office. I'm hoping as she grows, either her ear canals will get bigger or she'll start producing less wax.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    pb_bride said:
    I can't imagine using a qtip on DS!!! I can see that he'll be screaming bloody murder if I go near his ears. Even wiping his nose with a Kleenex causes real tears. 
    DD actually screams and cries real tears when I wipe her nose, but she leans into the q-tip (big reason why I only do baby ones). I think she likes the way it feels crazy kid :P We've been doing it though almost every bath since she was a newborn so she may just be used to it also.
    That's good to know.  Hmmm... I've never seen/noticed baby qtips.  Time to go hunt for some then.  Maybe we'll need some Debrox and then some qtips...

• Options
    Yes!! We have the same problem. Our doctor recommended hydrogen peroxide a while back. We were just in there today, and he checked LO's ears - it was the first time he hasn't commented on how much wax there was, so it must be working! 
    I will admit - Sam hates having it done, but it's not too bad. I think he doesn't like the sensation of water in his ears and it makes a crackly popping sound (like pop rocks!) so that's probably weird too. We just do it once a week, and every day if he has a cold to try and ward off ear infections.
    Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I just use qtips on what I can see.  I try not to really get them too much in his ears so that I don't push anything back in.  Doctor did do the scraper one time when it was bad, but specifically said we shouldn't use qtips.  I've heard of using hydrogen peroxide, but haven't because the doctor hasn't commented on his ears being to bad yet.
  • Options
    SusanC111SusanC111 member
    edited February 2014
    I also use my pinky nail on the wax I can see. He loves it. He takes my finger and puts it back to his ear after I scrape it :)

• Options
    DD has horrible wax issues. It's mostly her right ear. The ped has tried to scrape a little out each appointment, but she freaks out and we don't really get anywhere with it. She had an ear infection in November (possibly both sides, one was impossible to see in because it was completely blocked). After we got that cleared up we were sent to see a pediatric ENT to have her ears cleaned out. They got a solid glob of wax about the size of a bean out of her right ear! The ENT said they don't really recommend using any drops in baby/toddlers ears because kids don't usually tolerate it well. We did try the Debrox before that visit and DD absolutely hated it. They also told us to only use qtips on the outside structure of the ear so we didn't push the wax deeper.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options
    You tube have some videos that show how to clean out ears using a syringe or bulb snot sucker to squirt and warm water in the ear to loosen it up.. also getting warm water in your ears during a shower/bath helps keep ears cleared out of wax.. maybe you could try that ?

I did it to my DH once when he had problems with build up that was affecting his hearing... worked a treat on him  but it all depends on your LO and  if you can get them to do it.
  • Options
    ah625ah625 member
    edited February 2014
    Ugh, both of my kids have super strong wax production skills. 

I lay my daughter down in the tub and let her splash around a little bit, at least 5 minutes. This generally helps it "melt" and come to the entrance of her ear canal and I'll wipe it with a cotton flannel square cloth I made just for this purpose. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"