March 2014 Moms

Dumb Questions

Re: Dumb Questions

• DRFleener said:
    Ok, daycare question...for those moms that put their wee ones into daycare, what do I dress her in? I have all these onesies, should I get the little leggings and just put her in a onesie and those or are onesies really for home Like pj's?

my plan is onesies and shorts/pants...no need to dress them up for daycare!!
  • I'm sure someone has mentioned it before, but my computer is seriously so slow it takes five minutes to type out a simple message anymore! Thank goodness someone is going to fix it for me in a couple of days.

Anywho! My question is this: are cervical checks 100% necessary and beneficial to me in more ways than just knowing that I'm starting to dilate and efface? I've heard from others that it can be pretty painful, and since I'm too much of a wimp when it comes to pain to even let DH wiggle a finger or two in there during sex (TMI, I apologize) I just don't know if a cervical check is worth the pain. Baby comes when she comes, right? Why bother?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    March 26th, 2014
    9:38am CST
    7 lbs 0.8 oz
    19.75" long
  • Loading the player...
  • edited February 2014
    @scooter028 I'm glad it wasn't too bad for you, but honestly, I am almost in tears from pain during any kind of exam down there, even pre-baby. That's why I'm so concerned about the pain factor. I'm thinking unless it's absolutely necessary (and really, I think this might be a @babycaps question) I'm going to have to decline any checks until delivery day...
    March 26th, 2014
    7 lbs 0.8 oz
    19.75" long
  • My cervical check wasn't really painful but more just uncomfortable... lots of pressure + awkward (lol).  I had to be checked when I fell and they wanted to see how my body was responding to the accident.  I was also under the impression that it really only tells you unreliable data (prior to being in active labor).... talk to anyone who has been dilated x amount of cm and the delivery date was still relatively random. 

It makes sense early in pregnancy for PTL concerns, but with weeks left?  I dunno. Perhaps someone has insight because I'm curious too
  • I have a dumb question for STMs:  

Does size of the baby impact the strength of contractions during labor?  

I had an ultrasound yesterday and at 38w2d LO was measuring at 8lbs 10oz and could be 9.5lbs if I go to term.  I know the measurements can be way off and I know the size will impact the pushing stage but I would still like to try giving birth without pain meds.  Would his size make stage 1 of labor more difficult?

• aLsMay24aLsMay24 member
    edited February 2014
    Cervical checks - In the office I don't think they are necessary. If you go in thinking you are in labor obviously that's a different story. Even when I was dealing with ptl issues they didn't check me at my office visits just when I went into L&D with contractions.
    Married - 5/2008
    DS #1 - Born 9/2011
    DS #2 - EDD 3/2014
  • Did most of you as FTMs set up appts with a pediatrician before LO came to make sure you would like him/her? I still haven't done this and have a few recommendations from friends but was curious how common it really is to have an appt before LO is here just to talk?!?! Or if you don't, did you just have the hospital pedi check your LO there then take immediately to chosen pedi when you are discharged for an initial check?
  • Ok weird question for you ladies.. This also happened with my last pregnancy so in guessing it might be common, but what happened post part in doesn't seem quite so common.
    First I'd like to say I am a clean person so I don't understand this symptom at all! My belly button has become increasingly darker in pigment as my pregnancy has progressed. This seems to be some what normal kind of like the whole linea negra thing, but what is weird is last time this happened about a month postpartum while bathing (my belly button was still quite dark) I started scrubbing it in the bath and it started "peeling"?? It was almost as if I was scrubbing off an old scab. Idk it was weird and my belly button although was a bit more tender and pink from the scrubbing was no longer darker.
    Anyone have experience with this or heard of why it might have happened? I am guessing it will happen again this time since it is looking similar, but I e already tried scrubbing and it does nothing yet.
  • sparklr10 said:
    Did most of you as FTMs set up appts with a pediatrician before LO came to make sure you would like him/her? I still haven't done this and have a few recommendations from friends but was curious how common it really is to have an appt before LO is here just to talk?!?! Or if you don't, did you just have the hospital pedi check your LO there then take immediately to chosen pedi when you are discharged for an initial check?
    I really think it varies based on the doctor/practice. I set up one where the doctor was literally like, "soo... why are you here?" and another I set up where when I arrived the office was closed and no one was there! So I got kind of fed up with that, and I think I'm going to just go with another practice. It sounds like they actually routinely do them, so when I called the receptionist asked if I wanted to set one up, but at this point I'm like "whatever." The particular doctor I'll see was recommended by someone, and if I hate her I can always just switch to another doctor in the practice. I think the hospital ped will just check LO, and I don't know how immediate the first appointment with our ped will be, but I think it will be a few days later.
    imageimage
  • Did anyone out there like sleep with a stuffed animal to get your scent that way you'd have a soothie for LO if they won't stop crying?

Curious if its worth trying.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • sparklr10 said:

Did most of you as FTMs set up appts with a pediatrician before LO came to make sure you would like him/her? I still haven't done this and have a few recommendations from friends but was curious how common it really is to have an appt before LO is here just to talk?!?! Or if you don't, did you just have the hospital pedi check your LO there then take immediately to chosen pedi when you are discharged for an initial check?

I didn't. I just googled around until I found one with good reviews. I checked out the website and liked what I saw. They had a contact form, and I filled it out to get more info. The pediatrician emailed me herself within a couple of hours, and answered a whole bunch of my questions. That sold me right there.

She said they see the baby two days after discharge, so I'm assuming the hospital pedi will see him while we're still there.
  • I also feel like the real ones have a sort of downward motion if that makes any sense

I was told that the "real" ones will start at the top and have a downward pushing feeling.

• Did anyone out there like sleep with a stuffed animal to get your scent that way you'd have a soothie for LO if they won't stop crying?

Curious if its worth trying.

No we didn't do this. For one when they are that little they can't really cuddle a stuffed animal, it's a SIDS risk and I am not quite picturing how it would be used as a soothie (maybe I just need more coffee). Then once DS was big enough and interested in stuffed animals he had already latched on to a blanket as a lovey.

But H did bring back a baby blanket from the hospital so my 2 dogs could get used to the baby's scent. I don't know how much that really helped them but they did really well once DS came home.

Yeah i had read it somewhere, maybe facebook?, of someone doing it. My first thought was the SIDS risk as well, so i didn't know if it was like an actual thing that you can do.
  • I would let mine sleep with a burp rag draped over edge of bed with milk smell on it..
  • sparklr10 said:
    I didn't. I don't live right by my hospital either, so I just had the hospital pedi care my girls after delivery and then went to our pedi for the one week checkup. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • DRFleener said:
    Ok, daycare question...for those moms that put their wee ones into daycare, what do I dress her in? I have all these onesies, should I get the little leggings and just put her in a onesie and those or are onesies really for home Like pj's?
    Have her wear onsies and pants to daycare for sure. Don't put her in nice clothes or headbands or anything, because they won't stay that way. :) 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm sure someone has mentioned it before, but my computer is seriously so slow it takes five minutes to type out a simple message anymore! Thank goodness someone is going to fix it for me in a couple of days.

Anywho! My question is this: are cervical checks 100% necessary and beneficial to me in more ways than just knowing that I'm starting to dilate and efface? I've heard from others that it can be pretty painful, and since I'm too much of a wimp when it comes to pain to even let DH wiggle a finger or two in there during sex (TMI, I apologize) I just don't know if a cervical check is worth the pain. Baby comes when she comes, right? Why bother?
    My doctor said she doesn't routinely do them unless I'm actively contracting.  Otherwise there's no point since you can walk around at 3cm for a month or you could go into labor that night.  This far in you're probably not going to get any useful information out of them.  No matter the state of your cervix today there is a really good chance you'll be having a baby in the next six weeks.
  • kaking78 said:

I'm sure someone has mentioned it before, but my computer is seriously so slow it takes five minutes to type out a simple message anymore! Thank goodness someone is going to fix it for me in a couple of days.

My doctor said she doesn't routinely do them unless I'm actively contracting.  Otherwise there's no point since you can walk around at 3cm for a month or you could go into labor that night.  This far in you're probably not going to get any useful information out of them.  No matter the state of your cervix today there is a really good chance you'll be having a baby in the next six weeks.

Oh, a pretty good chance, indeed. XD Way to bring on a SGR moment for me!

I will most likely tell my OB that I'm declining the check, since I can't think of a really good reason to get it. He can do the GBS swab at the next appointment, but no checks until he really needs to know whether I'm a Cheerio or a donut. ;)
    March 26th, 2014
    7 lbs 0.8 oz
    19.75" long
  • mrsdahamm said:

I just had my first check this past week and I guess it depends on the position of everything and the doc on whether or not it hurts or is uncomfortable.  Mine was pretty painless, more comfortable than a pap actually.  And this is from someone who's DH hasn't gone near that area since getting KU. That's a whole other thread though. ;)

@scooter028 kudos for saying "whole other" and not "whole nother" =D> =D> Thats a huge pet peeve of mine.
    I hate when people say "whole nother." Ugh.

imageimage

• sparklr10 said:

All the check lists say to pick one.. So I called around and the pediatrician said to just say we picked them and when she is born the hospital will contact them and they will come there and check her out. Idk if that's normal or anything maybe it's just what they do there.
    That's what the office I called said too. They are affiliated with the hospital I chose.

imageimage

• We only have one pediatrician office in town, they are also the only peds allowed in the hospital, and they always accept new patients so I don't have to do anything. If I hate them (which I doubt I will) I can explore going to another ped in a different town later. Right now I want everything close and easy. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I haven't gone through the process of washing all the baby clothes yet... but I did manage to at least get the outfits I plan on bringing to the hospital washed today.  I washed them in cold water/cold rinse and I put them in the dryer on the lowest heat setting.  The still shrunk quite a bit. 

It seems like I'll be using cold water/low heat for most stuff but I'm thinking I may have to do a hot wash occassionally if there's poop or whatever. 

Would it be smarter to initially wash everything in hot water to shrink them as much as they plan on shrinking?  Or will I regret that and end up with doll size clothes?? 
  • ALSO... I just realized that the only thing I have, in terms of diapers, are.... diapers. 

I plan to get cloth diapers but figured I'd wait until I'm in a good routine then do a diaper trial of sorts.  Regardless, I don't have any creams, lotions, powders.... just.... diapers.

What else do I need?  When I do cloth diapers (i've been looking into BumGenius 4.0 or similar) what "supplies" would I need?
  • sparklr10 said:

I'm a little late to the party but we had our appt earlier this week. I found it quite helpful. However, our LO has some potential urologic issues that will need attention shortly after birth. We saw a pediatric urologist last week, so the pediatrician appt was really to make sure that everyone was on the same page with regard to the treatment plans for LO. Still it gave me peace of mind to meet the person who would be performing the lil man's circumcision and talk it though, along with other topics of course. I'd recommend doing it if you have any concerns.

• @SomersIsles

We're using disposable for the first couple of weeks then switching to cloth. For the sposies we really only have them and some disposable wipes. We have the grovia booty stick (not sure of the actual name) that is safe for use with sposies or cloth. Don't use baby powder for diaper changes. I think they say the baby could inhale it. No bueno.

If you're getting 4.0s then you'll get the inserts too. If you wanted to use a natural fiber insert like bamboo or hemp you'd have to get those separately. You'll also need a place to store the dirty diapers. We have a diaper pail and 2 planetwise liners, so when we're washing one we have a clean one to use. We also have a couple planetwise wetbags (medium size) to keep in the diaper bag for when we're out.

We're also using cloth wipes and will have a spray bottle at the diaper changing station with a homemade mix to moisten them.

Make sure you have a CD safe detergent on hand. We also bought a hanging drying rack from ikea for laundry day.

I THINK that's everything we have for CDing. I'm a FTM so don't have any actual experience CDing a little one, so if I'm missing something I'd love to know it!

• jh&khjh&kh member
    edited February 2014
    From my experience, baby clothes stretch out a lot. If they look like they have shrunk, they probably haven't that much they just seem so tiny! I'm a Carter's, Old Navy, and Circo fan mostly and I've never had an issue with them shrinking so much that they don't fit anymore. Carter's stretch the most. I wash on delicate cold/warm and dry on delicate, but still dry enough that I don't need to hang dry them.
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @scooter028 we got this one off our registry https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0053Y2B6E?cache=396134309a864007ffb519685dd466c3&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70#ref=mp_s_a_1_5&qid=1393080106&sr=8-5

If we hadnt received that one I prob just would have bought a regular garbage can with the step lid. The planetwise diaper pail liners are pretty big so I think they'd fit just fine.

As far as the solution we plan to use a mix of water, baby wash (Burt's Bees or California Baby since that's what we have on hand) and some type of oil - tea tree, lavender, coconut. We'll prob experiment a little. This site has some different ideas with specific quantities.

https://ecocrazymom.com/homemade-cloth-wipe-solutions-recipes/

• Just wanted to add - some of her wipe solution recipes would worry me about build up and repelling issues (the ones that contain lotion, for example). That's why I'm sticking to a simple recipe. You could also use plain water!

• I am going to try for our wipes:

1tbs baby Castile soap
    5-7drops tea tree oil
    1 cup of water

I don't think it should bother our cd. Anyone have an opinion before I destroy them lol
  • I am going to try for our wipes: 1tbs baby Castile soap 5-7drops tea tree oil 1 cup of water I don't think it should bother our cd. Anyone have an opinion before I destroy them lol
    This should be fine -- there are a lot of variations out there and tea tree oil is fabulous for preventing any fungal growth and such. It also means you can generally pre-wet your wipes without issue and not have to worry that something moldy is going to grow over the course of a day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @SomersIsles We're using disposable for the first couple of weeks then switching to cloth. For the sposies we really only have them and some disposable wipes. We have the grovia booty stick (not sure of the actual name) that is safe for use with sposies or cloth. Don't use baby powder for diaper changes. I think they say the baby could inhale it. No bueno. If you're getting 4.0s then you'll get the inserts too. If you wanted to use a natural fiber insert like bamboo or hemp you'd have to get those separately. You'll also need a place to store the dirty diapers. We have a diaper pail and 2 planetwise liners, so when we're washing one we have a clean one to use. We also have a couple planetwise wetbags (medium size) to keep in the diaper bag for when we're out. We're also using cloth wipes and will have a spray bottle at the diaper changing station with a homemade mix to moisten them. Make sure you have a CD safe detergent on hand. We also bought a hanging drying rack from ikea for laundry day. I THINK that's everything we have for CDing. I'm a FTM so don't have any actual experience CDing a little one, so if I'm missing something I'd love to know it!
    What pail and wipes mixture did you go with?
    Not a question directed to me…but in addition to the wipe solution recipes…I really love BGN wipe cubes.  You just throw one in water and let it dissolve. I'm completely lazy but I love the different smells and ingredients.
  • Rita092010Rita092010 member
    edited February 2014
    Sorry..double posted!
  • Anyone know much about earth mama angel baby vs dr Bronners? Dr b is cheaper. Just wondering about ppls personal experience. Thanks!
  • Thanks for the CD tips :) also, going back to clothing shrinking.... These outfits are the same brand (Just one you made my Carter's) and WERE the same size exactly. Is this amount of shrinkage normal??
  • Really dumb question here.  Has anyone had success with naturally inducing by massaging that magic spot above the ankle?  It is sandal-wearing weather here, and I desperately want a pedicure, but I do NOT want it to induce labor.  Am I overthinking this? 

If I could reach my own toes, I'd just paint them myself. 

June Siggy Challenge: Fictional Dads
    Stanley Tucci in Easy A
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Idk if it's true or not but my sil purposefully told the girl doing my nails that I was 5 weeks pregnant and the girl refused to massage me bc she swore it sent her into preterm labor.
  • When will I need a baby video monitor? The baby will be sleeping in our room at night and napping wherever I can get him to nap. (Most likely in our family room.) Does it make sense to wait until he's napping in his crib regularly to buy it and set it up?

My husband was trying to convince me to buy one now but I don't think we need one this early.

• sebullows said:

Idk if it's true or not but my sil purposefully told the girl doing my nails that I was 5 weeks pregnant and the girl refused to massage me bc she swore it sent her into preterm labor.

Really?!? Oh man, I would have asked for a discount for not getting the full service.

It freaked me out. I didn't know any better at the time ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"