July 2014 Moms
Options

Names you love that are too popular

TRS48TRS48 member
edited January 2014 in July 2014 Moms
I was just reading the sticky at the top with people discussing their actual babies' names when I realized this would be an interesting thread. What name do you love that is just now suddenly way too popular? For me it's Jackson. I've always loved it but apparently so does everyone else... It makes me wonder... Do people of similar generations secretly all have the same names in mind for future kids or do people just steal it when they hear a good one? I'm so surprised at how many names I've always had in mind that everyone is using!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Names you love that are too popular

• Options
    I love Harper but it's just too popular right now. I'm not into choosing a name that I know is going to be considered a hot baby name of this generation.
    BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    For me it's mostly girl names. Charlotte and Olivia jump out at me right away. Popularity isn't the same deterrent for boy names as it is for girl names for me. We like classic names like Edward and James, which are always going to be kind of popular.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ava and Harper... great names, but too popular.
    Me: 27    DH: 30
    Married in 2011
    Baby 1: Stillborn at 27 weeks (April 2014)
    Baby 2: Due May 2016

• Options
    Sofia. Although I think we will use it anyway. My husband is Italian so we wanted a somewhat Italian name so we picked Sofia Maria for a girl. :)
  • Options
    I love Charlotte, but it seems to be everywhere right now! It's the only popular name that I know 3+ kids with the name, so if we found out if it was a girl I just don't know if I could use it. I don't feel the need to be unique, but it would just seem like overkill at this point.

Jack/Jackson is similar for me. It's my father's name and I always wanted to use it, but then it because popular and it just makes it seem not as special anymore. Like it would just be another person liking the name fad instead of it being passed down.
  • Options
    Lola825Lola825 member
    edited January 2014
    Olivia and Isabella. Love them both and their nicknames but they are really popular right now. I was one of 4 in my grade growing up and we are trying to avoid that for our LO.

Edit: The post reads with two "popular" and when I go to edit, there is only one typed out. The bump is messing with me.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Both of our chosen names are very popular right now (Liam and Harper). But DH and I have actually loved the names for years and they hold meaning to us, so we are going to go with them anyways. We aren't focusing on the fact that they are 'hot' right now, they are names that just feel right to us :)
  • Options
    We've always loved Sophie for a girl, but have knocked it off the list due to the popularity of Sophia. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Sophia for me too. Way too popular for my taste, but we'll see!

• Options

Jackson was my top choice for a boy name with my first pregnancy until I realized how popular it was. DH wasn't a fan either.

I love Harper, Charlotte, and Scarlett for a girl right now. I know they're popular, but I've don't think I care this time. They don't seem to be popular in my area. I work in a school and I'll put names into the database to see how many of them there are in my district and these are not popular. There are also none of these in DS's daycare. I also don't know of any friends who have used these names.

My first name is the number 1 name for my birth year and it bothered me a little in school. As an adult, its not a big deal anymore. I'm sure its associated with the time period, but that really has no impact on my life.

July 14 May Siggy Challenge: Cute Animals
    imagelambs photo: lambs lftsidemovies5.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I loved Emma, Sophia, Olivia . . . pretty much the top three girl names right now.  I also really liked Jackson, although DH doesn't so that took care of that one.  

• Options
    We had planned on using Abigail for a girl since we were dating. It is just too popular now.
  • Options
    Emma, although Emerson is on my list for a girl.
  • Options

I have loved Emma since I was about 12 and read Emma by Jane Austen. I would happily use it, but DH doesn't like it. In fact if he liked it I would be naming this baby Emma Rose if it is a girl. If it weren't for the fact that one of my best friends already has a Sophia that would be a top contender as well.

Lily is becoming popular, but I am ok with that.

Honestly, I am a Sarah Elizabeth and the popularity of my name has in no way whatsoever affected me. Probably why I won't jump on the generation younique bandwagon.

• Options
    We had Jackson picked out since we were engaged. No one was naming their kid Jackson. Now, 4 years later when we had DS2, you can't swing a dead cat here in the South without hearing a kid named Jackson. I also loved Logan & the first time I heard it I was about 13 years old. You all know what happened there. :((

• Options
    Emma
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options
    earichar23earichar23 member
    edited January 2014
    Sophia, Isabelle, and Olivia were top girl names for me but I know too many already. If they were just popular I wouldn't care so much but knowing LOs with those names deters me.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Landon...it's my husband's middle name and we both loved it, so it has been our boy's name since we were dating.  Now I know at least 3 people from High School who have sons with that name.  We won't be using it anymore.  

I'm with everyone on Lily as well, I liked that name when I was a little girl...way too popular now!

We are still debating Henry's popularity, since we've both loved that name for a few years.  We only know one Henry (an old acquaintance of my husband named his son that), but it seems to be a popular name of toddlers on this board.
    BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My husbands name is John but they call him Jack. I would love to call our LO Jack but there are three others on our street alone. So it will be John.

Katherine called Kate has been our top pic for a girl forever but we now know 4 versions of that name used amongst our extended friend group over the past several months. Both of our grandmothers are named Matilda - I mean, what are the odds?! Both also called Mattie but that's entirely too trendy now. I also like Olivia and Charlotte like a lot of you but they are so widely popular across the whole map now.
  • Options
    iris427iris427 member
    edited January 2014
    Sophia/Sophie--my husband is Latino so we want names that reflect his background, and he loves this name.  I think it's beautiful but it's just so popular now.

I love Isabel too, but the popularity of Isabella is too much.

I don't like how popular Evelyn has become either--it's my grandmother's name and we will probably use it if this baby is a girl, but it just seems like it's everywhere these days.  Oh well.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I have loved Emma since I was about 12 and read Emma by Jane Austen. I would happily use it, but DH doesn't like it. In fact if he liked it I would be naming this baby Emma Rose if it is a girl. If it weren't for the fact that one of my best friends already has a Sophia that would be a top contender as well.

Lily is becoming popular, but I am ok with that.

Honestly, I am a Sarah Elizabeth and the popularity of my name has in no way whatsoever affected me. Probably why I won't jump on the generation younique bandwagon.

I'm a Sarah Elizabeth too! Haha.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    Girl names that I love but are too popular:  Emma, Olivia, Lily, 

Boy names: Aiden, Ethan, Lucas, Henry, Max

We are 99% sure of our girl name but still having problems with boy names. We have like 5 picked out put not sure which order or combinations we like the best. We find out what we are having in two weeks and we will work on it more. 

image  BabyName Tickerimage
  • Options
    Sophia/Sophie - lol like a few others on this board. I still think we will use it especially given its the only girl name my SO and I agree on. Also my name wasn't even all that popular and I still had 3 girls in my grade with it (total grade of only 100 kids) and there was absolutely nothing negative or weird about it - we used to joke and laugh about it every so often.

The other is Jacob, I had that name picked out since I was a little kid. Unfortunately its not just the popularity but its connection with Twilight. Who knows if that would even matter by the time they were older but I would feel awful if people made that connection or teased him about it.
  • Options
    Sofia. That was my first choice for a girl when we had DS. By the time DD came around it was the top name in the country.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Emma and Ella are both names that I love and won't use because of the popularity. I am a Sarah and while I like my name it bother me that there were always several of us in class and had to go with Sarah last name initial. Even to this day I have a huge number of friends named Sarah. Also since DD's is not super popular I don't want to them go with a popular name for kid number 2. 

image image   image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

BFP#1 9/25/10 DD born 6/9/11
    BFP#2 8/1/13 MC 8/31/13
    BFP#3 11/2/13 EDD 7/15/14 Stick baby Stick
    1st u/s 11/26/13 at 7w, measuring right on track and a heartbeat of 139bpm
    NT Scan 1/6/14 at 12w 6d, normal healthy squirmy baby measuring right on track heartbeat of 147bpm
    1st 2nd tri Scan 2/3/14 at 16w 6d, very healthy baby BOY!
    A/S 3/4/14 still a very healthy BOY, measuring right on track!
    DS born 7/9/14

All always welcome

• Options
    Oliver was my favorite boys name for YEARS, but now it's getting too popular. I also loved Abigail and Sophie (like many here).
  • Options
    I love jackson and logan... bah. And Nicholas which DH vetoed because he has 4 friends named Nick. But its a good name if everyone uses it, right? Haha
  • Options
    Heather100612Heather100612 member
    edited January 2014
    2ag said:

Both of our chosen names are very popular right now (Liam and Harper). But DH and I have actually loved the names for years and they hold meaning to us, so we are going to go with them anyways. We aren't focusing on the fact that they are 'hot' right now, they are names that just feel right to us :)

And I get that, but I can tell you that growing up with a top 5 name and always being known as "first name last initial" gets old. As does having to turn around every time someone says your name to see if they are talking to you or the ten other people in the room with your name. I wish my parents had thought that through a little better.
    Well, at the moment we don't know anyone in our lives that have chosen these names for their children/future children. Additionally, I teach so picking out a name was hard, and right now I wouldn't consider these terribly popular. Plus, I think if our child knows that these names are special/sentimental to us, they won't care, and will hopefully respect our choice. At some point in your life you're going to meet someone with your name. I'm not too worried about it.
  • Options
    Harper, Evelyn, Lily, Olivia, Hadley, Ava. Not sure why, but popular names bother me more for girls, not as much for boys.

• Options
    Haha, my name is Olivia Grace and my sister is Sophia Marie... my mom was about 20 years ahead of the trends today! (I still love those names, even though we're one of thousands today... when I was little, though, I was the only one in my class!)

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Oliver was my favorite boys name for YEARS, but now it's getting too popular. I also loved Abigail and Sophie (like many here).

Depending on the sex, our first was going to be Oliver or Abigail. We named him Oliver and planned on using Abigail for our future daughter. Now we've vetoed Abigail due to popularity.

When I was pregnant with Oliver, every time I mentioned his name, I would either be told it was a very unusual name or told they thought it was a very old name. Now it seems everyone knows an Oliver.
  • Options
    I really love Oliver for a boy and for a girl I love Harper and Aria. I think we have a girls name picked out but not a boy name. This time around nothing jumps out me. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options
    Emma, Emily, Olivia, Sophia. They have all been crossed off our list because of popularity. 

DH is really stuck on Liliana and i don't want to use it because of the popularity of Lilian, Liliana, Lily, Lilith. Too many potential lily's for my liking 

That being said if we have a boy, his name will be Oliver, which is sitting at like 73, and it totally doesn't seem to high. 

But the only girl name we can sorta agree on is Stella, which is number 62, not too high, but the easiest nickname is Ella (#12) and i'm not really okay with that. 

I really really want to stay out of at least the top 20, but that seems to be where all DH's favorites are. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
    BFP: 11.09.13   EDD: 07.21.14 
    Baby Sylvia born 07.20.14
    5 lbs 14.8 oz | 20 1/4 inches

• Options
    Depending on the sex, our first was going to be Oliver or Abigail. We named him Oliver and planned on using Abigail for our future daughter. Now we've vetoed Abigail due to popularity. When I was pregnant with Oliver, every time I mentioned his name, I would either be told it was a very unusual name or told they thought it was a very old name. Now it seems everyone knows an Oliver.
    I know! People always looked at me funny like it was an odd choice, but in just a couple years it's moved up hundreds of spots in popularity. Go figure.
  • Options
    Like several have mentioned, we had Jackson picked out before getting pregnant. But that's a big "NO" now.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"