TTC after 35

A few more IUI or go for IVF?

Hi Ladies,

Here's my story. I am 36, going to be 37 in April. We've been TTC since March of last year. After 6 months, we went to see a RE. We did the round of checkups and found not real problems. So RE did not put me on any medication, but gave me regular ultrasounds so we can time our BD. We did that for a few  more months but still had no success, so we decided to go for IUI in November. That was also BFN. We stopped during Dec due to holidays, and now, I'm wondering if I should do a few more founds of IUI or just go for IVF? My doctor said IUI doesn't not increase our chances too much since we have no problems, it's the same probability as the old fashioned BD. So I'm wondering if I should waste my time doing it. On the other hand, IVF is much more expensive and a more invasion and complicated procedure.....What would you do?
Me: 38, DH: 41
TTC#2 since Feb 2013
10/13: 1st IUI, BFN
02/14: 2nd IUI, BFN
03/14: HSG done, found out right tube is slightly blocked
04/14: 3rd IUI, BFN
05/14: 4th IUI, BFN
07/14: IVF no. 1, BFN
11/14: IVF no. 2, BFP

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: A few more IUI or go for IVF?

• Personal decision but have you tried just using the Clear Blue Digital Ovulation Predictor kits? I understand about monitoring O with u/s, but the OPKs are so easy and can really give you an idea of how regular your O is. GL!

• hmm that is a tough one... do you have any insurance coverage for IUI's  or IVF?  If so I would take advantage of whatever coverage you have as it is rare to have any.  If you are OOP then I would consider the costs of IUI and its success rate vs the cost of IVF and it's success rate.  

While a non medicated IUI may not increase your chances a medicated one that produces more follies should increase your chances.  Meaning if you have more than one egg to work with statistically your chances should be much higher.  I would talk to your RE about doing a medicated IUI cycle.  I would do at least one of those to see how our body responds to meds before shelling out on IVF. 

Generally RE's like to try something 3x then move on but it really depends on your diagnosis, age etc...
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Loading the player...
  • IhopeIhope member
    edited January 2014
    I would do no more than 3 iui before trying ivf. I made the mistake of listening to my doctor's suggestion I try 6 iui's, in the meantime I just got older and all bfn. I've been trying ivf for the past year now but because our bodies can have hiccups I've had several ivf cycles converted to iui (ie ovulating early). I wish if would have been more aggressive with the ivf earlier on.
  • KissmarkKissmark member
    edited February 2014
    Thank you for your responses. 

PPL2001, yes I do use the clearblue digital monitor as well. I use it in conjunction with the ultrasounds at the doctor's office. 

ksgsmu, I do ovulate quite regularly on my own, which is why the doctor have not used any medicine. I am also concerned about the risk of multiples, so I was fine with just one egg. If I were to do IVF I would probably try SET (single embryo transfer) first. 

Ihope, 3 sounds like a good number. Perhaps I will try two more times in Feb and March, then move on to IVF in April if they fail......

I was really hoping I would not have to go for IVF, but I feel I've given myself enough time already. My insurance will cover part of it, but still we need to pay about 5K for each procedure out of pocket.
    TTC#2 since Feb 2013

Pregnancy Ticker
  • yes there is is always a risk of multiples with ART procedures...but if you already ovulate on your own and you have no male issues, then a non medicated IUI is sort of a waste of time and money in my opinion since you have not a substantial increase in odds statistically.  That being said you have to do what feels right for you!  Good luck in whatever you decided!
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • As someone who was in similiar shoes several years ago and chose to keep trying IUI thinking "we have no real problems", I can honestly say I regret that choice.  It was (for us) a complete waste of time, money and in the end produced no results.  Now sitting here years later and in the midst of my 2nd IVF at age 43, I will be lucky to even be able to take one pregnancy to term at this point.  Then what if I wanted more children? At this point in life in would be near impossible.  Remember, time is not fertility's friend and you really don't want to waste the precious time you have on something that gives you know real advantage.  

**** siggy warning - bfp & loss ****   ---- All Welcome ---

Me: 44 - Hashimoto's (under control), DH: 38 - (minor issues)

IUIs: 2 in 2012 ... Both BFN
    IVF #1: 10/16/13 ... BFP, however it was not viable and ended in an early loss at 7weeks.

IVF #2: Feb '14 ... Cancelled. Positive beta at baseline appt, became very early loss.
    IVF #2: Apr '
    14 ... Retrieval Only. 2 embryos made it to day 3 freeze & will be batched with IVF #3 for PGD testing.
    IVF #3: June '14
    Retrieval Only. 4 embryos growing, all arrested before day 5. Two from April thawed, but also arrested.
    Currently benched while determining how to proceed.

"Keep going until you can't fail"

image   image

image  image

• Dumb question...Are the medications given to a woman the SAME or DIFFERENT for an IUI vs In Vitro trial??!? Just wondering if there is more "side effects" of meds on in vitro??
    ===siggy warning====
    Me: 40, DH: 42
    Diagnosis: PCOS
    TTC: May 2013
    TX: IUI #1 with Follistim. Canceled due to too many follicles (10 + that were large); BENCHED
    IVF #1 March 6. 14 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized. 
    March 11, 4 eggs transferred.
    March 21 BFP  :) Beta #1 457, Beta #2 1350, Beta #3 9619. 
    Due Date November 27, 2014
    TEAM BLUE

• ksgsmuJimBobCooter, thank you for your inputs. I should add that although I did not take any medicine for ovulation, I did get hcG shot and also medicine after IUI to help implantation. So it's not completely unmedicated. 

PrivateOne, you are right, time is definitely not on our sides. DH is open for IVF, but when I told him I would like to go for it this spring, he thought it's a bit aggressive. He thinks we should give ourselves more time. But I am going to be 37 very soon, and he is 40, and we've been trying for a year now. That's enough time in my opinion. 

indianaalum, if I'm no mistaken, the ovulation medicine for both procedures are the same. 

TTC#2 since Feb 2013

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @indianaalum - yes, the medication protocol is different between iui and ivf. Mostly because with IVF you want to get the most eggs you can. In iui that's not the case. IVF meds and protocols vary based on age, diagnosis, and other factors so it's hard to give specifics, sorry.

**** siggy warning - bfp & loss ****   ---- All Welcome ---

Me: 44 - Hashimoto's (under control), DH: 38 - (minor issues)

IUIs: 2 in 2012 ... Both BFN
    IVF #1: 10/16/13 ... BFP, however it was not viable and ended in an early loss at 7weeks.

IVF #2: Feb '14 ... Cancelled. Positive beta at baseline appt, became very early loss.
    IVF #2: Apr '
    14 ... Retrieval Only. 2 embryos made it to day 3 freeze & will be batched with IVF #3 for PGD testing.
    IVF #3: June '14
    Retrieval Only. 4 embryos growing, all arrested before day 5. Two from April thawed, but also arrested.
    Currently benched while determining how to proceed.

"Keep going until you can't fail"

image   image

image  image

• I was similar to you, same age no issues, did 2 IUIs and moved on to IVF which worked first time and I'm a mama to twin boy/girl. I liked that the odds were much better with IVF and just happy to be done with it all. Wish everyone the best.
  • I was 36 when we started trying;  didn't have luck on our own so went to a RE.  We started with Clomid & IUI then moved onto injectibles and IUI.  We did 3 of each cycle.  For my first pregnancy, it took all 6 rounds.  I truly didn't think the last one would work so I had an appt at an IVF clinic.  Was great canceling it :-)  I was 37 when I got pregnant/38 when I had DS.  For my second pregnancy, we went right to injectibles and IUI--took on the first one.  We also didn't have any specific fertility issues.  I was 39 when I got pregnant with DS/40 when I had him.  He was supposed to be a twin but baby A didn't survive (loss at 7 weeks)  t can't tell you what to do but in our case insurance wouldn't pay for IVF until we did 3 rounds of the Clomid and the injectibles.  It's a tough decision.  Ask your RE what he/she things.  Best wishes
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • i also did several iui before i've done ivf. as for i think it's better not to waste time. ofcource ivf might be more expencive but think that you can do just one procedure and reach sucess and how much have you alread spent on your unseccessfull iui?
    and for example if you can't find clinic with reasonable prices in your country try in other.why not?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"