Breastfeeding
Options

***UPDATE***Put under and breastfeeding?? PLEASE help

edited January 2014 in Breastfeeding
I posted earlier. I can't take my toddlers screams anymore. I am totally against any CIO method and it's killing me.

They told me I couldn't feed him until 12-24 hours after I had surgery. 12 hours would be 10:00 which is in 10 minutes. Of course to be safe I would like to wait but we are both miserable!

Anyone ever been put to sleep and then nursed? They didn't give me anything else except Motrin.

Thank you.

***UPDATE***wanted to update incase someone had this question in the future. So I took all your advice but I did quickly look up a few articles online and they ALL said it was ok to nurse right after I woke up! I was in so much pain yesterday I just took the doctors word for it but I guess I should've done some research of my own. I hid from my crying son all day because I didn't want him to see me and not be able to nurse. I feel awful for not looking it up but am so glad I got to nurse him all night. Kind of annoyed at all the milk I dumped.

Thank you all for your help. I truly appreciate it!

Re: ***UPDATE***Put under and breastfeeding?? PLEASE help

• Options
    Patients are instructed to wait 24 hours as a precaution, but there is no reason to expect any harm to come to your baby by nursing sooner.  Many patients choose not to wait the full 24 hours.  Sometimes women are "put under" general anesthesia for emergency C-section, and it's OK for them to nurse as soon as they wake up.  Also, keep in mind that if a baby required surgery for any reason he would have essentially the same drugs in smaller doses. 

TTC #1 12/2009
    BFP #1 1/2010, M/C 6 weeks
    BFP #2 6/2010, DD lost to
    congenital heart diseasewe are heartbroken.

TTC #2 4/2011, diagnosed MTHFR, FVL
    Four natural cycles BFN; Clomid IUI BFN; Follistim IUI BFN;
    1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3
    5/2012 7w1d u/s: anembryonic demise; M/C @ 8w.
    6/2012 found Stage II/III endo on laparoscopy, removed w/ laser.
    8/2012 IVF #2 epic fail: no viable embryos.

Vacation, break, second opinions, on to new RE.
    1/2013 Surprise chemical pregnancy BFP #4 (break cycle), IVF #3 postponed.
    2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
    Heartbeat on U/S at 6w1d!
    Baby,please stay!!
    Our miracle baby boy arrived 10/2013!  We are so in love!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6
    Our second daughter arrived in May 2015!  We are so grateful!  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was put under for emergency surgery when LO was 10 days old and as soon as I was up for a few hours (still at the hospital) they let me nurse.  The hospital I was at was a specialty hospital for women and babies and is well known regionally.  The doctors there said that the benefits of continuing breastfeeding (I was also on 3 heavy duty IV antibiotics) outweighed the risks.  DH is a D.O. and he researched each drug on his own and came to the same conclusion. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    photo fallinginlove_zps8333e154.jpgimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"