Potty Training
Options

Starting potty training for 18 mo

Hi,
My daughter just turned 18 months and we want to start potty training. She has been grabbing herself like she already went or needs to go and she has been waking up during the night if she pooped. Whenever I put her on the potty she never goes, but I figured I am just not timing it right. I also wanted to start her wearing pull ups during the day and diapers at night. Is this a good method? Suggestions?

How long after she eats or drinks should I attempt to put her on the potty? Besides her grabbing herself (which I find most of the time she has already gone when she does this) is there any way I can figure out when she needs to go? Any information would be helpful.
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage

Re: Starting potty training for 18 mo

• Options
    She needs words to associate with going to the bathroom. Like for example if you see her peeing in the bath say "pee pee" or whatever word you choose. Once she gets the connection, when you put her on the potty and say the magic word she will get the idea and hopefully respond if she needs to go. Same thing with pooping. If you catch her going on herself say a word and quickly get her to the potty. She may not poop right away but it's really all about using words, making connections, and being CONSISTENT. Both my kids were in underwear by 18 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DS is in the very early stages - he has started pointing/grabbing his crotch and telling me "poo" - for any bodily function - including gas! I try and correct him - but figure something is better than nothing. He knows where the bathroom/"potty" is and I bought the toddler seat insert and let him sit on it whenever he wants. He hasnt come close to actually using the toilet - but I figure the earlier I can introduce it the better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With DD she didn't really understand why she would want to use the potty instead of her pants (even though she would use the potty ) until around 20 months. We got some of the thick gerber training pants and a couple dappi diaper covers and within a week she understood that it was uncomfortable to be wet and started using the potty all the time. We went this route because My friends that have used pull ups told me they weren't much different than diapers so their kids never had any problem using them instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"