July 2012 Moms

Gender identifying

A few milestone charts I've seen have indicated that 18-24 months is when kids start to choose "gender stereotyped" toys, and begin to gender identify. DS is much more interested in the things that DH does - how he dresses, shaves, eats, everything. He wants to watch everything he does and tries to copy it all. Whenever I do anything like this, DS merely sees it as an impediment to what he wants, and demands to be up or fed or tickled or sung to. I'm not sure if this is part of DS's gender identity, but it's definitely clear that he requires different things from each of us.

Are your kids starting to copy more gender-identifying stuff?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Gender identifying

• I think that Dagny likes both girl and boy things. She loves to play with the train table at the library and also enjoys the dinos at the children's museum. But she also loves her babies and kitchen. As far as modeling behavior - sometimes she'll carry a bag around like a purse but she's never seen my husband shave so I don't know how she would model that anyway. She loves to brush her teeth when we do and she likes to play with my makeup. But I also SAH so she sees me doing everything every day, not my H.

• The toys that DS plays with are varies - he goes for cars and trucks as well as baby dolls and pretend food. It's the behavior that's interesting to me, since he's around me way more than DH, but DH is way more interesting to him, lol.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine definitely does but she's also watching and learning from her older sister. My younger girl loves Cinderella with her dying breath and could care less about some more stereotypical boy toys. But like I said I think it has more to do with her big sisters influence
  • I'd say G is pretty equal with both types of toys. We don't really push him in any one direction, and he plays with his kitchen just as much as he plays with his tool bench. I think it's all what they observe still at this point. It's not unusual for him to see my H clean and cook, and I will fix random things around the house.
  • My daughter likes both. She plays with cars and is also trying to play with her dolls more that she has. She migrates more towards books, puzzles and stackable blocks/bowls which are gender neutral.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Toy wise, Emily will play with just about anything. Sass wise, the girl knows how to work it. She LOVES to be fabulous. Loves shoes, hats, bags, and anything that sparkles. She puts on an accessory and then walks around the house making sure each of us sees. She points to her clothes or accessories and says "pretty" over and over until we agree. She knows the color pink and chooses it 90% of the time. She did NOT get these beviours from me. I'm scared.

You might have to PIP a fashion show on here so we can see!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • @sallysunrise those pouty lips are to die for. The jacket is a nice touch though ;) get ready because she looks like she is going to be a handful!

Camden has mostly all "boy" toys with the exception of a baby doll and a few beaded necklaces in his dress up box. He loves to dress up and accessorize though and will rock his baby but will turn around and wrestle brother or make car noises.

He hasn't been exposed to many girls because there was a "baby boy boom" around the time he was born but he likes to mimic me more and I think it's just because that's who he sees the most.
  • Nope. LO plays with toys of either gender and we buy toys that we think she will like regardless of their gender. Right now one of her favorite toys is a play tool set. It has a hammer, screw drivers, a saw etc. She loves to go around and "fix" things.
  • We try to ignore the gendar stereotype crap. She does stuff that she likes. Why does trucks and dinosaurs have to be "boys"? I played with them. Lilah loves them. She just started playing with bAby dolls. She would rather play dinosaurs though.

She Dosent have clothes or color preference yet but she loves bracelets.

• Mira's with DH during the day and he does most of the cooking. She loves her play kitchen, books, throwing/kicking balls, her babies, and is obsessed with shoes. I would say that most of Mira's toys are not gender specific (not much pink in this house).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"