November 2013 Moms
Options

Cleaning parts and bottles

I'm heading back to work next week and trying to figure out the best way to get moving with pumping and bottle preps. For those of you who do this, tell me your routine for cleaning pump parts and bottles both during the day at work and at home.

Re: Cleaning parts and bottles

• Options
    I pump twice at work during the day, mid morning and mid afternoon.  I had read that it is safe for breastmilk to be kept at room temperature for 5 hours, so after my mid morning pump, I put the milk in a little bottle cooler and the pump parts back in the bag and leave them in my office.  After my mid afternoon pump, I pour the two together, then refrigerate (and pray I remember to grab them before I leave work for the day!).  I wash my pump parts when I get home from work, along with the bottles and nipples that were used while I was at work for the day.  I have also heard of people refrigerating their pump stuff in between sessions instead of washing between every one.  The thought of putting that cold thing to my breast sounds horrifying to me!  GL heading back to work next week!
  • Options
    I haven't gone back yet, will be on Monday. My plan is to put pump parts in the fridge or cooler between sessions. I EP, so I do this with my parts at home. For bottles, I will be brining 3 bottles and 3 of the medela tubes. Each session I will use one of each (pumping 3x at work). All washing will be done when I get home.
    Can't figure out the signature thing, so here's the short, short version.....first daughter born on November 10, 2013. She was conceived through the magic of IVF after 2+ years of TTC.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I nuse LO when he gets up usually between 7-8 then from that time I pump every 2.5 hours. I pump in an empty office so I don't have to put all my stuff away, just close the door. but there is no running water on my floor. So I pump for about 10-15 minutes. Put the bottles in the mini fridge on our floor. I have a bottle of water and I pour a little through my parts into an extra bottle. Then lay them on a towel to dry until next time. The last pumping I don't rinse them. I put all the dirty parts in a lingerie bag and put with my pump and I put the bottles in a cooler bag with an ice pack to take home.

When I get home I portion the milk for the next day and wash all the parts and bottles. In the morning I just throw it all in the lingerie bag and throw it in my pump bag.
  • Options
    I eb so I put my pump parts and milk in the work fridge everyone at work is very accommodating and doers seem to mind. And for bottles I just gave the day care lady 3 and she keeps them a her house so I don't deal with any bottles during the day. Good luck!
  • Options
    I only pump once a day so when I'm done, I either pour the milk into a freezer bag or put the bottle in the fridge for a feed in the next day or so.  Then I wash the stuff with hot water and put it in a ziploc labeled "clean".  When both flanges and bottles have been used, I take them out and put them in a Medela microwave sterilizing bag, nuke them, let them dry, and stick them in a bag labeled "sterilized."

I do the same with her bottles, when she'll take one.

Iris born Halloween 2013! 6 lbs, 1 oz, 18 inches long

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    March 24bimageimageimage
  • Options
    I pump 3-4 times at work. I keep the bottles of milk in the small cooler bag that came with my PISA. I use the Medela pump wipes. You just pull one out, wipe off your pump parts and let air dry. I do that after each pump, and I wash all parts when I get home. I then wash all dirty bottles from daycare. Those clean empty ones go into my cooler bag for the next day, and the bottles I pumped are ready for school. I just put clean nipples in his daycare bag.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    Medela has specific wipes to clean pump parts on the go, then travel sterilization bags as well, they're a godsend. I used to pump, wipe the parts down, throw them in the bag add water and microwave.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"