September 2013 Moms
Options

Tell me your irrational fears

Here are two of mine:

1. Reaching into the garbage disposal to retrieve anything - I have a fear that it will turn on by itself and grind my hand up.

2. I have this fear that I will walk out of my office at work after I'm done pumping with a boob or boobs exposed. I check myself an unnecessary amount of times before I leave my office.

Tell me some of yours!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Tell me your irrational fears

• Options
    I have LOADS of irrational thoughts. 

Here are my most common ones: 

Just about every time I walk up/down a flight of stairs, I picture myself falling and shattering my teeth.  

And now that I'm toting LO around wherever I go, I picture her head basically exploding on impact with the ground.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 26May12 - EDD 27Jan13 - DX blighted ovum 12Jul12 - M/C 2Aug12 
    BFP #2 13Jan13 - EDD 22Sep13 - DD born 20Sep2013!
    BFP #3 23Jul15 - EDD 1Apr16 - 
  • Options
    TKtravels said:

And now that I'm toting LO around wherever I go, I picture her head basically exploding on impact with the ground.

I have the same fear that if I take LO into the kitchen, which is tile, that I will drop her and she will suffer serious injuries.  But I don't have that fear when I take her to any of the rooms where the floors are wood.  :/

image image
    LO then (2 days) and now (1 year)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I will lose all my adult teeth, not just "bam they're gone" but they will become wiggley and I will pull them out, and have to get dentures.

BFP 01/05/2013. EDD 09/18/2013. Low Progesterone. Gestational Diabetes. Rh Negative. Baby Ky-Mani born 100% healthy 09/17/2013. TTC#2 12/2013. BFP 02/01/2014! "Baby RaggaMuffin" due 10/07/2014.

• Options
    amandalt823amandalt823 member
    edited January 2014
    My biggest irrational fear is being trapped - elevators, highways (if there is not an exit near), airplanes, bridges, rooms without windows, etc. I always need an exit out of any situation. I've gotten a lot better since I had LO though. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm scared of our basement. I refuse to go down there after dark. The lighting is poor and if I have to go down there at night I walk up the stairs backwards so I can see behind me lol. I'm also terrified of dropping my baby when I go downstairs. My foot slipped a little one day when I was carrying her and I about had a stroke. I leave her upstairs whenever possible and just run back and forth to check on her.
  • Options

jdoud77, yes to spring storms!  I live in DFW so they are a very real threat.  They didn't really start bothering me until I lived on my own.  I was worried my stuff would get destroyed or my bird would get blown away.  Then we bought a house and I didn't want the house to get destroyed by a tornado or beat up by hail.  I have horrible thoughts about all of the windows getting broken out and coming home to find a huge mess.  But now LO is here and I can't even imagine what spring will be like, especially if a storm hits while she is at daycare. 

2 or 3 years ago we had a late spring storm hit at about 3 am.  The winds were about 50 mph and then marble sized hail started falling.  That's not even large hail and I thought all of our windows were going to break because it sounded so loud and they were bouncing off of the glass.  I couldn't sleep the rest of the night.

image image
    LO then (2 days) and now (1 year)
  • Options

I am afraid of our dogs getting out and someone keeping them (they are huskies). I worry so much when they escape. I am a nut case.

I am also afriad of thunder. I am not afraid of thunder but my blind huskey doesn't like it and will chew through a wooden fence, therefore I now don't like it. When I hear what might be thunder (wind, fireworks, the furnace turning on) I jump up and check the window to see if he is still in the backyard. Yeah... this summer sucked!

BFP 01/05/2013. EDD 09/18/2013. Low Progesterone. Gestational Diabetes. Rh Negative. Baby Ky-Mani born 100% healthy 09/17/2013. TTC#2 12/2013. BFP 02/01/2014! "Baby RaggaMuffin" due 10/07/2014.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Other cars on the road. I'm always worried someone will come too far over and hit me.

I hate driving on bridges and always fear I will drive over into the water or worst the field bellow.

Also the garbage disposal thing.

Dying young. My mom died when she was only 38. She had a brain aneurism and it was sudden with no signs of anything being wrong.

• Options
    I'm so afraid that some day a spider or any bug will get in my ear at night and live there from then on. I've been convinced numerous times that I already have something in my ear.
  • Options

I am afraid of our dogs getting out and someone keeping them (they are huskies). I worry so much when they escape. I am a nut case.

You're not a nut case! 

Having your beast escape is horrible, and never knowing what came of them sounds like torture.

While we were living in rural Morocco, someone let our Ninja cat out onto the roof where he leapt/fell about 30ft and broke both of his hips before scampering off down the street.  He was MIA for three days before we found him, and those were the worst days of my life.  Thankfully, we found him and were able, after some pretty extreme measures, to get him put back together again. 

I am now (understandably) paranoid about someone letting our cats out of the house.   

• Options
    Cockroaches. I seriously have a panic attack whenever I see one. Not the little tiny ones, the big sewer roaches we have here in AZ. There are also huge beetles that look like roaches and they fly. Ugh. The first house DH and I lived in, there was a sewer drain right outside our patio she I would have like 2 or 3 roaches a day in the house. I literally have dreams where they are crawling on the ceiling and falling into my bed. I've woken up and stripped the bed down thinking it was real.

I also have a fear of wet plastic. Like plastic bags that cling to you. I always think it's going to be permanently stuck to me. Or suffocate me.

I also have the garbage disposal fear and the fear of dropping LO on the tile.
  • Options

@TKtravels:  I am so glad your cat story ended well, there for a second I was like "should I continue reading?"

I am starting to develop a lot of new fears.

• Options
    elm005elm005 member
    edited January 2014
    TKtravels said:

Oh yeah, and every time I set foot on a plane, I am convinced that it is going to crash and that we are all going to die.  I'm actually pretty surprised whenever we land safely.  

I always look around at the other passengers and imagine us as the cast of Lost. LOL.
  • Options
    Roaches as well.  I can handle snakes and spiders all day long but there is something creepy about roaches living 5 days with out their heads.  The big wood roaches that can fly will have me crying in no time.  I want to barf thinking of them!

• Options
    I am really enjoying this thread because it makes me feel less irrational.  

Andplusalso, outdoor heights.  I'm totally fine if I'm by myself, but throw another person into the mix and I seize up.  

• Options
    Cockroaches. I seriously have a panic attack whenever I see one. Not the little tiny ones, the big sewer roaches we have here in AZ. There are also huge beetles that look like roaches and they fly. Ugh. The first house DH and I lived in, there was a sewer drain right outside our patio she I would have like 2 or 3 roaches a day in the house. I literally have dreams where they are crawling on the ceiling and falling into my bed. I've woken up and stripped the bed down thinking it was real.

I also have a fear of wet plastic. Like plastic bags that cling to you. I always think it's going to be permanently stuck to me. Or suffocate me.

I also have the garbage disposal fear and the fear of dropping LO on the tile.
    I also have a fear of roaches.  I lived with them for a year in an apartment and ever since then I am totally freaked out about them.  I was at the Magic Kingdom a couple years ago and we were sitting by a fence made of stones watching the fireworks show over the castle and when they turned down all the lights roaches started crawling out of the stones to get bits of food laying around (we were near a food vendor place).  I basically flipped out and people around me were like "WTF?"  I made my family leave the fireworks early because all I was doing was watching the ground, afraid they would crawl up my legs. *shudder*

I also have about 10,000 other irrational fears.  However, any kind of enclosed space involving water like tunnels that go underwater, frozen bodies of water where you could fall under the ice, dark enclosed water slides, etc. is one of the worst.  That crap gives me anxiety attacks.  I even have a hard time watching certain scenes in movies like Titanic where people are trapped underwater.

And I posted about this before, but aliens.  Yikes.
    My little guy!  Everett Richard born 9/3/13

• Options
    I don't know why the few times LO slept hours through the night into the morning I was paralyzed with fear she would be blue and not breathing in her crib, even now sometimes when she naps I'm anxious.

Also the falling thing but I'm afraid when I do something like run down the stairs or run to the mailbox I'm going to fall and bust my head open and lose consciousness and LO will be alone screaming in the house and no one will see me and help.

The heights thing creeps me out and lastly crossing bridges over large bodies of water, fearing that the bridge will collapse as I'm driving over it and I will plunge to my watery death.

BFP: 1/17/13 EDD: 9/20/13 Dalenna Rose Born: 40 wks 4 days 9/24/13

FTM to my sweetpea Miss D.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    charpecharpe member
    edited January 2014
    Mine are completly irrational. I have a fear of down escalators. Only the down ones. No idea why. But I always hesitate before stepping onto one.

I also have a fear of large pointy icicles! This one somehow stems from a Final Destination movie.
    LOL
    Edit: attempted to insert hilarious falling down escalator gif, but still gif retarded:)

• Options
    I'm afraid of someone attacking me in a parking garage. Also, I'm terrified of driving next to or close to 18 wheelers. I have images of the 18 wheeler crashing into my car every time.
    TTC #1 Since Oct 2011
    BFP #1 4/29/12 m/c 5/18/12 at 6w2d
    BFP #2 8/28/12 EDD 5/10/13 MC 9/22/12 at 6w4d
    BFP #3 12/31/12 EDD 9/12/13

Me Dx: DOR   DH: all tests normal
    Our Pretty Little Nest Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I have several but I think my weirdest ones are:

Going down an escalator. I can go up just fine but going down is a different story. One time I had such a panic attack the guard turned it off so I could walk down it.

The other is of giant weeds. I don't run away screaming but I can't touch them. I am fine pulling smaller weeds though.

I am the same with basements- I usually have to run up the stairs because I am convinced someone is following me!
  • Options
    I'm scared of thunderstorms. Even small tame ones have me hiding in my basement bedroom.

I also have an irrational fear of eating something gross. I can barely force myself to try new foods bc I'm terrified I won't like it.
    BFP #1 8/25/12 EDD 4/28/13 Blighted Ovum, D&C 9/20/12 at 8w6d. I'll always remember the first one. My baby Grace. BFP #2 12/26/12 EDD 9/4/13. DS born 9/7/13. My sweet rainbow.
  • Options
    Most of these things creep me out too.
    Mine is, walking by older vans. Mini vans seem fine but I'm afraid someone will open the sliding door and grab me from in the van!
  • Options

Rabies. I seriously am terrified that someone in my family will get this.

We live in an urban area and there have never been a reported case of rabies in as long as I can remember.

• Options
    Clusters of holes and or bumps. I found out recently that it has a name--trypophbia. It freaks me out so bad! I used to put sticky notes over certain pictures on my science textbook because I couldn't look at them.

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• Options
    I am so beyond terrified of garbage disposals it's not even funny. Thank God we don't have one. I FREAK out if someone runs one without the water running. That's just.. no. And I don't care what's down there, I would never, ever reach into one, even if it was off. Even if it was disconnected from power. Nope nope nope. I just told my mom that and she said, "What if you dropped your wedding ring down there?" I don't care, I'll leave it there until my husband gets home. Nothing could make me reach down there.

Probably my other biggest fear is breaking my nose. I don't know why but I think I'd rather break just about anything else.

When I was a kid I was terrified someone was going to crawl up the pipe leading to the toilet and reach up and grab me while I was going to the bathroom. Irrational for sure. I'm not afraid of that anymore but it crosses my mind every once in awhile.

I always check behind the shower door/curtain before I go to the bathroom, in my own house and at friends' houses. What if someone was hiding there?

I'm petrified of finding bugs (particularly silverfish, which are literally the devil incarnate) in stacks of paper. I scrapbook and make cards, plus I am kind of sentimental about photos and school papers and birthday cards and such, so it's a possibility that frightens me.

I'm sorry to even put this here, but you just have to understand how awful these things are.

I'm sure there are more. 
  • Options
    I'm so scared that I will fall onto the open door of a hot oven when I am pulling something out. It would just hurt so bad to burn my breasts!

My house backs up to a highway on a hill. I'm so scared a huge truck will come rolling down that hill and crash through my house.

fittest mom photo FITTEST-MOM_zps2351b4e2.gif
  • Options
    I'm a totally outdoorsy kinda girl but I'm terrified of fish swimming up against me when I'm swimming in a lake. I'm so scared they will mistake my toes for worms or something.

Right in front of my house, there are no sidewalks and the cars go fairly quickly. Whenever I go for a walk with my LO I picture myself slipping on the ice under a car. Irrational, I know.

I also get really protective of my LO when a dog is present. Even my own most precious lab Olive, I'm weary. She would never hurt a fly but I just picture the most awful things.
  • Options
    aml8979aml8979 member
    edited January 2014
    I have a fear of falling down the grates downtown. I refuse to walk on them.

I also have a fear of fajitas. Someone ordered them at my table and the waitress stood over me with them as they popped all over my neck .. Burning me. I cringe whenever a waitress walks by with them.

• Options
    edited January 2014

I also always have to leave the shower curtain at least a little open and check periodically to make sure no one's there.

I do this too! At one point when I was like 12 id make my sistee sit in the bathroom while I showered.

Im with everyone else on the garbage disposal thing and the down escalator. Another very weird one I have is belly buttons.. I cannot touch the inside of mine, I cannot watch anyone touch theirs either. When I was pregnant and my belly button was flush with the rest of my belly was the best!

imagephoto b8nyaejpg.gifImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Birds. Big birds little birds. Live or dead. I can't stand them. No idea where it comes from.

I am also weary of dogs around LO.
  • Options
    @upsidedownfrown: I HATE belly buttons!!!! You are the only person I've ever heard of that hates it besides myself and my mom. People really don't understand it but it is the creepiest thing ever. I used to get nauseous because a mean middle school boy found that out and would always play with his during math class. Bleeechhh. Hate it so so so much!

One time the ultrasound tech was pressing her little wand thing down right on my belly button to get one of the shots she needed of the baby and it was awful. I had to concentrate really hard on the poster on the wall so I didn't freak out.
  • Options
    I have so many of the same fears as you ladies, it's ridiculous. Mine is I'm afraid LO is going to be abducted by aliens. I even hated typing that out. That's one of the reasons I co sleep with her. I'm also afraid a ghost is going to move her when I'm not looking. And I don't even think my house is haunted.

This was a terrible thread to read during a MOTN feeding.
  • Options
    Not sure where to start! Ha! I always have to close every single window shutter in my house every night so nobody looks in/peeping toms. I am just afraid that they might see me alone and break in and rob me or hurt me/lo.

I think I watch too much news and cnn. I need to stop, it just makes me even more paranoid!

I am afraid someone is in our garage. I always have to lock the door at night so if they do somehow get into our garage, they will never make it into the house. I also lock my car in the garage. Dh hates it when he goes to my car to get something out of it or to load it and it's locked. He always gets mad and tells me there is no need to lock my car parked in the garage. Yes there is!

I am also afraid of the garbage disposal turning on when I put my hand down to get something in there. Just scared it will malfunction and turn on, grinding my hand.
  • Options
    I have many, many of the same fears as you ladies. I always have to leave a light on in my house if I'm the last one up, and I sprint up my basement stairs like my life depends on it. I think being a mother has given me even more irrational fears.

-the other day I was too freaked out to go downstairs while I was home with LO by myself because I just imagined how awful it would be if I fell down the stairs, got injured, and she would be alone and scared all day.

-this one really bothered me yesterday. I'm scared of our house starting on fire when we're not home and our animals would be stuck inside. All I can picture is how terrified they would be.
  • Options
    HBirdie said:

@upsidedownfrown: I HATE belly buttons!!!! You are the only person I've ever heard of that hates it besides myself and my mom. People really don't understand it but it is the creepiest thing ever. I used to get nauseous because a mean middle school boy found that out and would always play with his during math class. Bleeechhh. Hate it so so so much!

One time the ultrasound tech was pressing her little wand thing down right on my belly button to get one of the shots she needed of the baby and it was awful. I had to concentrate really hard on the poster on the wall so I didn't freak out.
    I totally understand! I think the strangest part is that I can't watch anyone else touch their's either..it gives me the chills. In fact I barely made it through your post lol. Nice to know we aren't alone

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Oh another one I have is I hate driving past people riding bikes. I always feel like they are just going to fall off and into the path of my car. I've rode a bikes before and know that youre incredibly stable and aren't just going to fall for no reason..so yeah completely irrational

edited for spelling because im mobile and my new phone doesnt have auto correct and I have fat fingers apparently

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Oh my gosh, we're all soul mates, basically. Here's a lengthy list of all of the fears I share with you guys: walking on tile/cement while holding LO, driving near cranes or other machinery, driving next to 18-wheelers (and I have a near death experience to back that fear up), roaches/spiders/million-legged nasty bugs, shaving near or on my c-section scar, turning on lights ahead of me before turning off the ones behind me, covering myself with covers and facing the door for fear of intruders/ghsots, walking on grates in the street (absolutely not and my ER nurse friend says he sees tons of injuries from people falling in them!), bugs on my butt in the bathroom (to be fair, there are a lot of bugs in most of the bathrooms I have had and one time a spider was on the seat between my legs).

Now to add my own: drains. They send me into full-on panic mode, especially pool and hot tub drains. I just know they will suck my intestines out/ come on randomly and I won't be able to escape. I also dislike tub and shower drains but I can deal. The saddest part is that I LOVE swimming and the drain fear keeps me from doing  a lot of things I would otherwise love, like swimming laps in the deep end or going to a water park. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"