Natural Birth
Options

Doula Question

My goal is to have a med free birth and I'm trying to decide if I should hire a doula. My OB and hospital are natural birth friendly. Her two children were delivered med free. She told me that the nurses are great and very supportive of med free birth. My husband is also supportive and wants to be my birth coach. This is our first child, so obviously neither one of us really know what we're in for. I would love to hear any opinions about hiring a doula. 

TTC since May 2013
BFP #1 11/22/13 EDD 7/31/14
MMC 13 weeks - discovered 2/13/14 at 16 weeks - Trisomy 13 - D&C 2/14/14
BFP #2 10/9/14 EDD 6/22/15
~Everyone is welcome~

Re: Doula Question

• Options
    The fact that you have a supportive doctor and hospital is huge!  My MW told me that a doula is the best money you will spend and I have yet to read a story where someone regretted hiring one.

That being said we did not have one and I'm glad we did not spend the money, for us it wouldn't have been worth it.  My MWs are all great and the hospital we go to is very pro-natural childbirth.  I am one of those women who likes to go within myself and sort of be left alone.  With my second I labored alone in our bedroom until it was time to go to the hospital, when I arrived I was fully dilated!  I did have two support people in the room both times.  DH of course and then MIL with my first and my mom with my second.  It was nice to have the additional person there, someone who could run and get a sandwich for DH if he got hungry, get a cold rag for my forehead, etc.  

Since your hospital is so pro-natural childbirth have you asked if they have volunteer doulas?  Mine did.  Of course you didn't know who they were ahead of time, nor was there a guarantee you would get one, but still it was nice to know if I changed my mind I had that as an option.    
  • Options
    I didn't know about volunteer doulas. I'll ask about that. Thanks for all the info.

TTC since May 2013
    ~Everyone is welcome~
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The hospital I delivered at has free on-call doulas. So I jumped right on that bandwagon! My husband was a little nervous about the idea at first. But after the fact he was soooooo grateful that she was there. She really helped him out a lot by teaching him some things that he could do to help me feel more at ease. She was so supportive and such a great cheerleader for me. She offered me so many little tips, things that I had never read about or heard about prior to my labor that really helped. She helped me focus on my breathing to get through the toughest contractions which really helped a lot. I definitely recommend a doula! I really hope to have one again with my current baby, due in August!
    TTC since August 2009
    Clomid for 6 cycles starting August 2010- O but no BFP
    SA Septemeber 2010 Looking good 
    HSG September 2010 All clear 
    1st RE visit May 2011 - IUI#1 June 20, 2011: BFN
    IUI #2 July 31 2011: BFP - m/c @ 5w1d
    Surprise BFP on a break cycle 10/4/11, Due June 4, 2012, Born 6/9/2012
    TTC Blog
    TTC#2 : Cycles 1-3 Protocol 1500mg Metformin Daily, Femara + Ovidrel, Progresterone support 
    HSG#2 November 2013 All clear
    Cycle 4 Metformin, Femara, Bravelle, Ovidrel, Progesterone = BFP
    Little Lady Born 8/28/2014

"There is a design, an alignment, a cry of my heart to see, 
    the beauty of love as it was made to be"
    Mumford & Sons
  • Options
    We have hired a doula and I'm due in 3 weeks. She has honestly been the best thing for me and my husband. I can call her or message her whenever I want with any questions and she has kept me calm through my whole pregnancy.

I'm looking forward to having her in the labour room with us :)
  • Options
    I loved having a doula because my DH wasn't good at being a supportive partner during labor and neither was my mom. I'm so glad I did. If I had a more supportive person then maybe I would have skipped having a doula. I think having someone support my birthing plan that could constantly be with me was what I needed and my doula fulfilled that. I had a great natural labor and birth with her help.
    ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have a doula and she's already been worth the money. I'm in VA and her fee was $850. I don't have a ton of money either so I had to sacrifice to pay her.

She's been really helpful in listening to what I want the birth to be like and what kind of person I am. I don't think childbirth or being pregnant is beautiful or fun. To me it's just a terrible thing I have to do to have my son. She's understood my point of view and has been a wonderful advocate for both me and my baby. If you can afford it I recommend getting one.
  • Options

I would recommend a doula, and there are a lot of doulas in training or who work on a sliding scale for payments if you can't afford the full price.  I'm in the greater Washington DC area and the average for a doula around here is $1000, which is A LOT of money. 

My doula was wonderful, and even though this wasn't my first birth it was my first unmedicated birth and she was pivitol in helping, offering counterpressure, suggestions for changing positions, when to get in the tub or try something new.  She also came to the house ahead of time and was very calming to my husband who would have tried to take me to the hospital after the first contraction.  I feel like he utilized the doula even more than me. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all for the replies. I really appreciate it.

TTC since May 2013
    ~Everyone is welcome~
  • Options
    Do it, if you can! My midwife says time and time again that hiring a doula is your best chance for an unmedicated birth. I'm a FTM due in April and I love knowing that I can put my confidence in someone else, knowing that she is there to advocate for me. Super helpful in mitigating fear for me. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"