March 2014 Moms
Options

24 hour urine collection test

Has anyone else done a 24 hour urine test?  I'm curious about a pretty random thing - when I did it last time I ended up having to drive to the lab for a 2nd jug because 1 wasn't enough so this time when they gave me the stuff I said I needed a 2nd one and got a major side-eye from the lab person.  I haven't been drinking a massive amount or anything, and sure enough with 3 hours to go I just started filling the 2nd jug.  Am I generating a freakish quantity of pee?

Re: 24 hour urine collection test

• Options
    I did it 3 times last pregnancy and I was always afraid I would run out of space, but I never quite did.
        image  image

• Options
    Haha, wow!  I did this with my last pregnancy and didn't even come close to filling the jar.  Maybe your jars are smaller than the ones we got?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a hard time filling up 1 jug!  I'm impressed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I only had 1/2 a jug.
  • Options
    Maybe I do drink a massive amount!  I've never thought that I did but now I'm curious.
  • Options
    I've had to do it twice the past two weeks. I had to use two jugs as well. One would have never worked for me.
    BabyFetus Ticker imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @jforsythia checking for protein.  The single sample is a screening test, they're doing this because my BP has been high and they want to be really sure there's no protein.  As I understand it the idea is that you might not be spilling protein in a single sample but you definitely will be at some point in the 24hours if you have a problem.
  • Options
    I filled my jug up about half way and that was after drinking all day long. Or so I thought. I pee like 5 times a day max tho.. Even while pregnant. I guess I retain a lot of water.
  • Options
    Very impressive! I filled 2 jugs but damn 3!
  • Options
    I filled it half way but I know I don't drink enough and am probably dehydrated most of the time.
  • Options
    I' ve done it three times, and toward the end I usually have to really up my water intake because it's barely half full....so I usually end up with it 3/4 full.  But I hate drinking water, so if you're someone who drinks more water I could see filling it up plus another bottle.

I did all of mine in early pregnancy, so I would imagine at the point we're at, we're peeing more anyway.  My stepmom drinks a ton of water and when she's had to do it, she just asks right when she gets the bottle for a second one.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Options
    Just saw this!

Depends how big the jugs are. ;-) Anything between a liter and four liters of urine out in 24h is pretty "normal." It's hugely dependent on fluid intake! I've seen anything between .75 liters (aaaahhhh!!! More fluids! More fluids! Noooooooow!!) to 3.5L and plus (probably what pattipants and babycaps put out! ;-) )

There are several medical reasons people can put out truly freakish amounts of urine buuuuuuuut I'd bet money you and your docs would have noticed something like that before now!

Ignore the lab tech side-eye. Odds are you produce a perfectly reasonable amount of urine. As always ::she adds primly:: ask your doctor if you're really worried!
  • Options
    2 jugs is completely normal! I've had to do this test three times in the past two months and 2 out of those 3 times I needed a 2nd jug. I asked my OB about needing the 2nd jug, as I too was concerned, and he said when your pregnant your body is on fluid volume overload so it is perfectly normal :) hope this helps
  • Options
    @pepperedmoth they're 5 gallon jugs, didn't I mention that?  ;) Seriously, I'd guess they were 2L but I didn't look at the markings - I ended up with about 1 &1/3. I'm planning to ask my OB at my regular appointment tomorrow but I think I must just drink a lot of water compared to some people - I got to thinking about it and most days I fill up my 32 oz mug 5-6 times and only one or two of those is adding any ice. Especially since I've been pregnant with this terrible dry mouth. I'm glad I'm not the only one who drinks a lot though!
  • Options
    @babycaps I was being silly, I'm pretty sure they were 2L jugs - you'd need a 6 pack!
  • Options
    @babycaps, if you drink 2 gallons of water a day but pee so much you'd fill a 5-gallon jug plus a little.......I think I'm worried about you! ;-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"